Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
June 29, 2022, 04:37:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

New Snuff Bottle Book - Snuff Bottle Collection From The Rui Studio Volume 2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Snuff Bottle Book - Snuff Bottle Collection From The Rui Studio Volume 2  (Read 142 times)
richy88
Private Boards

« on: January 17, 2022, 01:06:52 am »

Hi all

Just to let you know that I have completed authoring a book for a Chinese veteran collector in Beijing.

The new book, "Snuff Bottle Collection from the Rui Studio Volume 2" comprises of 55 bottles, 138 pages, hard cover with paper sleeve. It measures 29cm by 22cm and weighs 1kg.

It is a bilingual publication in Chinese and English. The focus of the book not just highlights some fine snuff bottle examples, but details have also been included to explain the symbolism and hidden meaning and stories on the design of each bottle.

The book includes 23 jade bottles, 16 chalcedony bottles, 11 glass bottles and 5 bottles of other materials.

This is a second book from the collector. He has published an earlier title in Chinese in 2005.

Any member who is interested in getting a copy can send me a private mail. As I am not the owner/publisher, there is a cost of USD 100 per copy excluding international shipping by airmail.

For your information.

Regards.

Richard

* ~new book web.jpg (127.29 KB, 580x809 - viewed 29 times.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 06:10:44 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate Educate Entertain

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 01:30:19 am »

Dear Richard,
I want just to say that, judging by the two bottles that are on the cover, it must be a collection of top level.
Thousand of miles above the average of my humble bottles.
Something that is impossible to find at my sources; that type of bottles is only found at the major auction houses nowadays.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:32:25 am »

Hi Giovanni

You have fine taste!

The pair of black & white jade bottles on the book cover are from the Palace Workshops.

They are extremely rare as a pair and are also signed and dated.

I must say that the colour of the bottles in real life is more attractive than the photo. There is an intensive write up of this pair in the book, a total of 7 pages were devoted to them.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 06:30:50 am »

Dear Richard, I don't understand. I understood that the book was related to the bottles of a collector. Why are there bottles form the PM?
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 06:38:40 am »

Hi Giovanni

No, the bottles were manufactured by the Qing dynasty imperial family's palace workshops.

They are not from the Palace Museum. These are from a private collection.

Regards.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:04:29 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 07:23:27 am »

Sorry Richard! My fault. I associated Palace Workshop to Palace Museum.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 07:59:04 pm »

Hi all

For those members who have a copy of my recent book, "Snuff Bottle Collection from the Rui Studio Volume 2", I would very much appreciate your feedback and comments.

Clare Chu has purchased a copy and here are her comments:

"Dear Richard,

I'm so sorry not to have responded sooner. I am preparing for Asia Week NY and am working on getting as much of the next issue of the Journal done as possible before I leave.

Firstly let me say that the cover of the book is wonderful. It is so artistic and the pair of Suzhou jades floating on the cover are just superb. I also applaud you for producing a bilingual book. Not all collectors want to do this but I think it is imperative these days. The whole group of jade bottles are stunning but I especially like no. 6 on page 31, the white jade mallow flower. No. 9 on pages 36/37 is also very interesting as this design is usually seen in glass - I was just thinking that and then I read the commentary which talks about that very fact. I also very much like no. 52 on page 129/131, the Duanstone bottle with calligraphy. You have put a tremendous amount of scholarly research and effort into this book including all the translations of inscriptions. I believe this to be invaluable going forward.

I will continue to enjoy this book as part of my snuff bottle library."

Thank you all for your support!

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: