Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
December 01, 2021, 12:05:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff bottle database

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff bottle database  (Read 86 times)
richy88
Private Boards

« on: October 30, 2021, 11:21:46 pm »

Dear all

As mentioned during our last virtual meeting, I am willing to share my database with fellow members who are keen in the research. Here is a summary of the contents:

1. Snuff bottle publications:
Over 480 book covers, 940 catalog covers, 180 ICSBS journal covers & 50 ebooks
An Excel worksheet containing details such as the title, author/publisher, date, number of bottles & number of pages will be included

2. Auction images
Over 580 auction houses with snuff bottle images, results & e-catalogs (when available)
Each auction house has an average of 20 auctions, each auction with an average of 100 images

3. Inside-painted artists and works
Includes more than 600 artists from all periods and sample works from each artist (average 20 per artist)

4. Events & Exhibition images
These includes exhibitions, museum collections and event photos.

The database is an ongoing project so updates will be available in the future.

Any member who is interested can send me a private message for the details.

Thanks.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:26:25 pm by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate Educate Entertain

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 02:04:38 am »

Dear Richard,
that is very interesting. In which format is the database? Is it accessible on Internet, or is it on a drive pen, or what?
Thank you very much
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 02:44:19 am »

Hi Giovanni

Thank you for your interest and inquiry.

Basically they are mostly images (jpg format). The e-books are in PDF format and of course the Excel worksheet.

The database is organised in folders so you can use any computer (PC/Mac) or handheld devices (mobile phone/tablet) to access and open them.

Due to its sheer size, it is not possible to access them online. So it will be downloaded to at 2TB (2000GB) external hard disk. It is a plug-and-play hard disk, so you can just attach it to any USB port and you are ready to go. No additional software is required.

Future updates will be uploaded online so that members can download and update the database accordingly.

The will be a cost for the hard disk including shipping charges but all future updates are free to access. The cost is USD 500.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 02:58:48 am »

Hi all

Just to add: since this is a plug & play external hard disk, no external power source is required. So you can do away with different power voltage in different countries.

In fact, you can even connect it to your TV is it has a USB connector to view the images. Although you will not be able to view the PDF or Excel worksheet on it without installing additional apps.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 07:26:10 am »

Thank you dear Richard.
I can understand it, basically it is matter of images and unfortunately they take a lot of space in order to be appreciated properly.
And there is the time that you have spent too, which must have been considerable.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 12:25:36 pm »

Richard,

After seeing what you have in your database, I know that I would at least like to have some of its content.  Particularly, Peter Bentley's interior painted bottle section.  I, like many, contributed to the content of his database, but never got a copy.  So, I'm glad to see you have a full copy and are building upon his work.  I'll be in touch with a personal email to work with you on acquiring a full copy, or at least a portion of what you have.  Thanks for sharing you resource with us at the meetings and your willingness to share the content with the group.

Respectfully, Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 01:23:51 pm »

Richard,

After seeing what you have in your database, I know that I would at least like to have some of its content.  Particularly, Peter Bentley's interior painted bottle section.  I, like many, contributed to the content of his database, but never got a copy.  So, I'm glad to see you have a full copy and are building upon his work.  I'll be in touch with a personal email to work with you on acquiring a full copy, or at least a portion of what you have.  Thanks for sharing you resource with us at the meetings and your willingness to share the content with the group.

Respectfully, Charll 

I gave out all the sticks that I had copies made of Peter's DB.. 

I will pick up another stick and send you a copy..

Message me your address  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
AndrewS

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 08:37:56 pm »

Richard, you have done an amazing amount of research and compilation.  Andrew
Report Spam   Logged
richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 12:59:38 am »

Hi Andrew

Thanks.

Any member is welcome to get the database, if needed.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: