Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
December 01, 2021, 12:49:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

ip bottle #2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ip bottle #2  (Read 245 times)
Bob

« on: August 16, 2021, 10:51:02 am »

Good morning everyone. This second bottle again appears to be an old one. I found an unpainted example in a 1995 Sotheby's catalog, but in ruby glass . The bottle is fairly small at 60mm. There is no signature or date. The fish appear to be painted the same as the ones on another Ye family bottle in my collection. I've always wondered about this one. I'd like to hear your expert opinions on this one. I didn't purchase it as a Ye bottle, so no harm if it's not.  Thanks for any input you can give.  Bob

* rsz_img_1397.jpg (56.33 KB, 612x816 - viewed 31 times.)

* rsz_img_1399.jpg (55.82 KB, 612x816 - viewed 21 times.)

* rsz_img_1402.jpg (53.9 KB, 612x816 - viewed 46 times.)

* rsz_img_1403 (2).jpg (67.42 KB, 612x816 - viewed 44 times.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:00:06 am by Bob » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 03:15:51 pm »

Another nice bottle Bob !

I do not think the fish are Ye family painted. They always painted their fish in very vivid style.  My best guess would be Yan Yutian.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 06:29:16 pm »

Bob,

Thanks for sharing this and the latter Ye bottle.  I've never been a big fan of Ye painted motifs with people.  Their landscape, fish, and animal motifs I do appreciate.  I cannot make any real comments here due to my lack of experience in this area of middle period bottles, but the first thing I saw with this bottle is it was a nice glass bottle imitation of cherry amber.  This is a glass bottle correct?

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Bob

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 06:03:28 am »

Thank you George and Charll for responding. Yes Charll, the bottle is glass. The animal bottles are my favorites, but I've only had the good fortune of finding one small rock crystal example. Thank you once more for your input.  Bob

* rsz_img_1201.jpg (66.98 KB, 612x816 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:58 pm »

Another nice bottle Bob !

I do not think the fish are Ye family painted. They always painted their fish in very vivid style.  My best guess would be Yan Yutian.
Dear Bob,

I have been looking at this bottle for the last two days and agreed with George. Yan YuTian seems more likely.

60mm is quite standard for this period inside painted bottles.

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 12:03:34 am »

Thank you George and Charll for responding. Yes Charll, the bottle is glass. The animal bottles are my favorites, but I've only had the good fortune of finding one small rock crystal example. Thank you once more for your input.  Bob

Dear Bob,

It will be nice to have some description of this bottle and more photos of other sides.
Found the following bottle painted in the same RenShen year.

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6095283?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intObjectID=6095283&from=salessummary&lid=1

"Lot Essay
Although this bottle is signed Ye Zhongsan, it was most likely painted by his son Ye Xiaofeng. It is known that Ye Zhongsan had his sons working with him. This subject appears to be a specialty of one artist and continued after the eldest son died, and since it is not in the style of Ye Bingqi it was most likely painted by Ye Xiaofeng."

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Bob

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 02:50:47 pm »

Thank you for the input YT. The Ye bottle is 2 1/8 inches tall, has a concave lip and a flat base. I did not have pictures of the other sides in my files, so I had to get the bottle out and take few. My camera decided not to work, so I had to use my I-pod. Hard to get a decent shot.

* rsz_img_1593.jpg (66.14 KB, 612x816 - viewed 18 times.)

* rsz_img_1596.jpg (57.27 KB, 612x816 - viewed 13 times.)

* rsz_img_1517_2.jpg (109.68 KB, 612x816 - viewed 17 times.)

* rsz_img_1606.jpg (86.61 KB, 612x816 - viewed 18 times.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 05:30:27 pm by Bob » Report Spam   Logged

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 09:30:13 pm »

Dear Bob,

Attached a comparison of both bottles drawn in RenShen year 1932.
Looks to be of same hands.

Cheers,
YT

* YZS Tiger compare.jpg (255.09 KB, 1150x773 - viewed 22 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

D.D Art

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 11:23:00 am »

Hi Bob,

From this picture, my friend Xu Liwei thinks it looks more like the Ye family, according to the brushwork. And these fishes look close to Ye style rather than Yan Yutian if I may say.

But the picture is not clear. So our opinion might be incorrect. Maybe, other members' opinion is right...

The below picture is a bottle painted by Ye Zhongsan. I hope it helps for determining.

Report Spam   Logged

D.D Art is founded by Xu Liwei and Po Han Chen (David). This site shares the weekly journals about Inside painting and Enameled glass snuff bottle. Welcome to explore in D.D Art...

www.ddartwork.com
Bob

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 08:54:34 am »

Thank you very much for your opinion. The painting is clear in person, but could not get a clear photo no matter what I tried. The aquatic weeds are green as in your picture and the fish appear the same. Took a picture looking inside the bottle. Maybe that helps. Thanks again David.   Bob

* rsz_img_1668 (1).jpg (45.32 KB, 612x816 - viewed 16 times.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:00:07 am by Bob » Report Spam   Logged

D.D Art

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 05:45:06 am »

Thank you very much for your opinion. The painting is clear in person, but could not get a clear photo no matter what I tried. The aquatic weeds are green as in your picture and the fish appear the same. Took a picture looking inside the bottle. Maybe that helps. Thanks again David.   Bob

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your other pictures. Our humble opinion on this bottle is painted by the Ye family. But we can not be so sure since the image is not clear enough, and we didn't see the actual bottle.

And this might not be painted by Ye Zhongshan, but we think his second son, Ye Shaofeng.

Above is only our speculation on the bottle and humble idea; I hope you find it helpful, and please could still refer to other members for their valuable opinions.

Best Regards,

David
Report Spam   Logged

D.D Art is founded by Xu Liwei and Po Han Chen (David). This site shares the weekly journals about Inside painting and Enameled glass snuff bottle. Welcome to explore in D.D Art...

www.ddartwork.com
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 05:20:31 pm »

After looking at it, I also think it is by one of the Ye Family.
Possibly Ye Xiaofeng, or Ye Bengshen, or Ye Bengqi, or even Ye Shuying, Ye Bengqi's daughter.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: