Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 29, 2023, 12:25:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A collection assembled through 1927 - 1960

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A collection assembled through 1927 - 1960  (Read 288 times)
YT
Private Boards

« on: August 14, 2021, 04:02:04 am »

Dear YT,
Look at this bottle. I think that it is representing “Li Bo releasing the crane”, I have a plaque with that motif.

http://www.rewialleyart.nz/exhibits/show/snuff-bottle/item/796

Dear Giovanni,

There are no “Li Bo releasing the crane”, only can find the
"Crane Release Pavilion Story. Fanghe Pavilion was built in memory of Lin Hejing, a poet from the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). One of the most famous poets of his time, Lin lived in seclusion on Solitary Hill for more than 20 years.
His great works won him nationwide fame. After his death, the then emperor gave him the posthumous title of “Hejing Master” even though Lin had refused to hold office in government. Lin’s poetry and story ensure he still has an important place in Chinese history today.
The poet never married and never fathered any children. When not writing poems, Lin spent his spare time planting plum trees and raising cranes. Eventually people said he took a plum tree as his wife and had cranes as sons.
Fanghe Pavilion, which means “release cranes,” was originally built in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368) after Lin had died. In later dynasties, poems and calligraphy works were written on the pavilion in tribute to this great poet.
Behind Fanghe Pavilion is Lin’s tomb. It’s set among plum trees and bronze crane statues."

I have attached a Christie's auction of a Lacquer box carved with the Crane Release Pavilion Story.

Also my YangZhou Glass Overlay with similar story.  Grin
Provenance:
Kaynes-Klitz Collection;
Sotheby's Hong Kong, 30th October 1990, lot 14;
Mary and George Bloch 10;
Sotheby's Hong Kong, 1st June 2015, Lot 158;
Ng Collection 579

Cheers,
YT

* 579 Christies Release Crane.jpg (217.81 KB, 1346x896 - viewed 16 times.)

* 579 Joint.jpg (114.28 KB, 1148x601 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: