Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
December 04, 2022, 04:17:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Gold Gild Dragon on Monochrome Glaze Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold Gild Dragon on Monochrome Glaze Snuff Bottle  (Read 247 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: July 10, 2021, 11:42:25 pm »

Gilded Gold on Coral-Red Monochrome Glaze Snuff Bottle

I am still trying to get some resolve in my thoughts on the origin and age of this bottle.  I thought this was an uncommon palette combination when I first spotted the bottle, but upon further review of my snuff bottle references that does not seem to be the case.  Specifically, Robert Kleiner (1990) in ‘Chinese Snuff Bottles from the Collection of John Ault’ states that gold gilded decoration on monochrome glazes were not uncommon in the 18th and 19th centuries, and two such bottles with the same color palette are illustrated in the Ault collection.  The stopper was observed to be old with an older horn material spoon, but the bottle is almost pristine which led me to think it was a 20th century bottle.  However, the matted gold gild is typical of that used by the Japanese during the Meiji Period (1868-1912).  The overall quality of the bottle is exceptional, and although the dragon appears to be Chinese, the design has Japanese elements as well.   Still a puzzler!   Below are my cataloging notes.

Gold Gilded Dragon on Coral-Red Glazed Snuff Bottle:
A cylindrical pillar shaped porcelain snuff bottle depicting a gold gilded five-clawed dragon encircling the bottle above a base of uniform waves and sea spray.   The monochrome coral-red glaze provides sharp contrast to the gold gild dragon design.  Gold key-fret band around the neck and gold gild mouth.  Gilded decoration on monochrome glazes were not uncommon in the 18th and 19th centuries (Robert W.L. Kleiner, 1990.  Chinese Snuff Bottles from the Collection of John Ault).  Base is gild gold with a raised balanced and well executed gold four-character Qianlong period reign mark.  Old red cinnabar stopper carved as a chrysanthemum, black nylon collar, and old keratin spoon.  Height without stopper is 3 inches (7.6 cm) and the bottle width is 1 inch (2.6 cm) in diameter. 

Period: ca. likely Meiji Period (1868-1912).

Condition: Excellent kiln fresh condition, except for wear of gilding on the mouth of the bottle.

Provenance: Unknown, but originally purchased from a collector in Beverly Hills, CA.

Similar Reference:  Similar in color tone and palette to bottles presented on page 91, Chinese Snuff Bottles from the Collection of John Ault.

If anyone has comments, please feel free to provide them.  Charll

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1600.jpg (233.8 KB, 526x1200 - viewed 31 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1602.jpg (237.11 KB, 540x1200 - viewed 22 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1604.jpg (283.66 KB, 634x1200 - viewed 23 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1605.jpg (265.96 KB, 534x1200 - viewed 23 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1606.jpg (172.7 KB, 672x800 - viewed 21 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1607.jpg (171 KB, 651x800 - viewed 18 times.)

* Gold Dragon on Coral-Red Mono_s-l1608.jpg (221.78 KB, 799x800 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 12:30:16 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 02:44:00 am »

Dear Charll,

Very nice bottle and congratulations!

Best
Luke
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 02:52:11 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 02:52:13 am »

Dear Charll,

This is beautiful. The dragon has an evil look with that streaky eyes Roll Eyes

Cheers,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 03:04:06 am »

Hi Charll

Nice bottle!

I agreed with Kelvin that the dragon looks more aggressive than usual.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate • Educate • Entertain
George
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 03:31:50 am »

Beautiful bottle and congratulations Charll Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 12:43:00 pm »

The dragon has an evil look with sneaky eyes.

YT, thank you for that description of the eyes.  I was looking to come with a little bit more descriptive details on the dragon design and your comment was spot on as I read it.  Appreciate the help in formulating a description, Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 03:06:24 pm »

Dear Charll,

A very interesting bottle, but i'm amazed you thought the palette, Red & Gold, rare.
Look at any Chinese temple for a similar palette.
Red is a very auspicious colour in East Asia,and gold represents, well, Gold...
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 06:52:00 pm »

My pleasure Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 04:28:14 am »

Dear Charll,
nice bottle; I fully agree that it is Japanese. Nice shape and very nice stopper. Well spotted, congratulations.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: