Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this absolutely stunning cobalt blue dragon pillar bottle. Imperial kilns, Jingdezhen.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
July 25, 2021, 02:23:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

3 Carp Red Glass Overlay

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 Carp Red Glass Overlay  (Read 93 times)
Luke
Private Boards

« on: June 12, 2021, 08:22:52 am »

Dear members,

Interested to hear others' thoughts... I think it has some age. The bottle is a cylindrical red glass overlay of 3 carp swimming amongst reeds and lotus on a translucent, very pale yellow ground. The bottle is 5.7cms high. Nice stopper - glass or maybe jadeite. Spoon is plastic.

I like the carving and the continuous scene around the bottle on this one. Also, the ground is nicely worked and very smooth. Photos are taken on my phone and colour adjusted to try and give a real-life representationÖ

Best,
Luke

* RC1.jpg (118.13 KB, 506x900 - viewed 12 times.)

* RC2.jpg (127.01 KB, 483x900 - viewed 9 times.)

* RC3.jpg (130.45 KB, 515x900 - viewed 9 times.)

* RC4.jpg (133.59 KB, 505x900 - viewed 6 times.)

* RC5.jpg (183.9 KB, 800x665 - viewed 11 times.)

* RC7.jpg (121.72 KB, 800x544 - viewed 13 times.)

* RC6.jpg (60.42 KB, 500x408 - viewed 5 times.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 09:25:54 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 10:41:51 am »

A beautiful bottle Luke ..

The overaly id extremely well carved and the ground was painstakingly finished at every spot. Someone really put a lot of work into it.

I will guess mid 18th century.. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »

Dear Luke,

I agree with George as to the beauty of the bottle.
But I date it to ca. 1995 - 6 months before you first saw it.
I see no wear whatsoever, and the extensive surface carving on the overlay says late 20th/early 21st C. to me.
In the mid-1990s the glassmakers in the PRC got very sophisticated in reproducing 18th C. plain and carved glass snuff bottles.
What provenance does it have?
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 03:57:21 pm »

Thanks George - my initial guess was around that age or maybe 19thC. There are places where evidence of polishing can be seen in smaller in between areas, but a nice overall smoothness.

Dear Joey,

Unfortunately, it doesnít have provenance. The seller did say they bought this bottle about 20 years ago in NY. That ties in with your dating. Thanks for your thoughts on the age.

Iíve seen similar bottles which I thought gave it a chance at being authentic:

https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2019/chinese-art-hk0906/lot.532.html

Regarding wear - you are right there isnít much to see. Thereís are some micro nicks here and there. Iíll have a look tomorrow when itís light using a loupe.

Best
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 04:22:47 pm »

Dear Luke,

That bottle from Y.F.Yang in 1972 is very similar to your bottle.
 I may be forced to eat my words. Roll Eyes Shocked Grin
It has the surfeit of surface carving on the overlay that was bothering me on yours...
But I'd like to hear if you find fine surface wear on the smooth surfaces or on the carved surfaces.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 04:57:41 pm »

Dear Joey,

Haha, Iím glad your mind isnít totally made up yet..  Grin After I bought this I did a bit of SB detecting and found a few similar bottles. This one is light in the hand and feels very nice. I must admit I was taking chances when I purchased it. I will let you know about the wear and try and take a close up or two.

Best
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Luke

George
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 05:16:47 pm »

There are places where evidence of polishing can be seen in smaller in between areas, but a nice overall smoothness.

Thereís are some micro nicks here and there. Iíll have a look tomorrow when itís light using a loupe.

Remember Luke, this entire bottle has been ground with everything from a very course, followed by a number of varied abrasives and then polished. If you have to search with a loop to find flaws, then any you find are insignificant.

Nice comparison find on the Sotheby's bottle Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
YT
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 02:54:04 am »

Dear Luke,

My only concern is the ground. I have never seen such reddish ground on a red overlay for an old bottle.
Also as shown with the green arrows, over carving?
Other than these, nice find.

Best,
YT

* Red carp.png (176.06 KB, 800x665 - viewed 14 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 06:57:17 am »

Dear George - true I do have to look with a loupe to see any abrasion.

Dear Joey - here is the best photo I could get of some wear on the foot. It has got some scratching and surface wear in the area on the ground. I need a proper camera with a macro lens!

Overall, there isnít much wear to the glass itself, but under a loupe you can clearly see areas of polishing/abrasion and unevenness especially in the trickier to reach places.

Dear YT - Thanks for your thoughts. Iíve taken a photo this time in natural daylight(please excuse the hand). I think this is a better representation of the true colours.

The area you reference does look like its slightly over-carved as it doesnít quite go all the way around. Hereís a photo of the other side.

Best All,
Luke

* CC2.jpg (155.37 KB, 800x738 - viewed 9 times.)

* CC3.jpg (220.83 KB, 800x933 - viewed 11 times.)

* CC.jpg (139.2 KB, 478x900 - viewed 14 times.)

* CC4.jpg (177.98 KB, 800x825 - viewed 11 times.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:10:21 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: