Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this absolutely stunning cobalt blue dragon pillar bottle. Imperial kilns, Jingdezhen.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
June 22, 2021, 09:26:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Suo Zhenhai

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suo Zhenhai  (Read 69 times)
George
Administrator

« on: June 09, 2021, 08:49:13 pm »

Is this the best book for Suo Zhenhai ?

The description for this particular book tells that it is not just about him, that there are many other bottle mediums within as well.

Is there a book solely dedicated to just him and examples of his paintings somewhere that members can recommend ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:36 am »

George,

That is the only collection book that I'm aware of that is in English.  Yes it is entirely Suo Zhenhai works in the Mike Ma collection.  It is likely the best book with Zhenhai's biography and painting style discussions.  Mike Ma has another book of the collection with great illustrations, but it is entirely in Chinese.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 12:09:33 am »

George,

That is the only collection book that I'm aware of that is in English.  Yes it is entirely Suo Zhenhai works in the Mike Ma collection.  It is likely the best book with Zhenhai's biography and painting style discussions.  Mike Ma has another book of the collection with great illustrations, but it is entirely in Chinese.

Charll

Ok, thank you Charll.. Ordered it, and looking forward to receiving it  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:34:13 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 01:49:40 am »

Dear George,

I agree with Charll. The intro suggests all sorts of extraneous material, but that is misleading.
it is a superb catalogue of Suo Zhenhai, and catalogues not just his genuine signed works,
but even a section on bottles he signed with fake Middle Period snuff bottle artists' names, like Zhou Leyuan,
etc. Which is good for documenting Chinese art history.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 02:16:30 am »

Dear George,

I agree with Charll. The intro suggests all sorts of extraneous material, but that is misleading.
it is a superb catalogue of Suo Zhenhai, and catalogues not just his genuine signed works,
but even a section on bottles he signed with fake Middle Period snuff bottle artists' names, like Zhou Leyuan,
etc. Which is good for documenting Chinese art history.
Best,
Joey

Thank you Joey !

The idea that he would sign with Middle period artist seems like it might be solely for recognition or respect for those artists rather than being intentionally misleading..  Look forward to getting the book.. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 04:59:05 am »

George,

I concur with what others have said. It's a great book.
I am just a little puzzled by the link, which takes me to the Chinese edition in 'paperback'...?

The edition I have is dual language, most definitely hardback, and comes complete with a slipcase.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

George
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 05:11:19 am »

George,

I concur with what others have said. It's a great book.
I am just a little puzzled by the link, which takes me to the Chinese edition in 'paperback'...?

The edition I have is dual language, most definitely hardback, and comes complete with a slipcase.

Tom

Yes, I noticed the softcover description.. I am just guessing for what ever reason, it is a mistake. It says Published Date: December 2011 and 270 pages.  Is this the same as everyone's hard copies?
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 06:28:09 am »

Yes, that is the one.
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

George
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:43 pm »

Yes, that is the one.

I double checked with the seller and he did say it is a hardcover in slip case..

Thanks for the help all Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 04:47:44 pm »

Great book.  I think you will be very happy to add this one to your library. 
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 06:09:14 pm »

Dear George,

I met Mike Ma and saw his Suo Zhenhai collection including the falsely marked bottles faking Middle Period bottles.
This was in Hong Kong during the exhibition of his collection in the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2014, I believe.
I asked someone there who was knowledgeable, about the ones painted to look antique and signed with assorted names in the collection.
Were they an homage or intentionally painted as fakes as a way to get more money.
 I was told that Suo Zhenhai confessed that he'd painted them AS fakes to get money when he needed the money.
Towards the end of the catalogue, you'll find them, described 'as an homage'....
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 10:33:16 pm »

I was told that Suo Zhenhai confessed that he'd painted them AS fakes to get money when he needed the money.
Towards the end of the catalogue, you'll find them, described 'as an homage'....
Best,
Joey

That is just so very sad to hear.. Sad
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 11:52:15 pm »

Don't hold it against the artist. It's a sad reflection of just how little money the artists actually make from their inside painted bottles.

I bought my first SZH bottle without knowing who the artist was for US$250 at an exhibition of VMIP bottles at Beijing Airport in 2005.
I bought another at the same place a few months later for US$100, because it was signed using his pen name Yi Shi, and the sales girl didn't know it was SZH...!

Sadly, he passed away the following year. But I only learned this (and that Yi Shi is SZH) from reading Mike Ma's book 5 years later.

Tom 
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 03:49:45 am »

Hi Tom & all

I agreed that it is difficult for 'full-time' artists to make a living, especially in China with such strong competition.

Many artists work part time or resort to other art form (such as commercial painting) in order to survive.

From what I know, Suo Zhenhai was a cancer patient before his passing. His medical bills must be a huge burden for him and his family.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate Educate Entertain
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 02:32:29 pm »

Dear George, Richard, Tom, and others,

Both Richard & Tom are correct.
Suo Zhenhai had cancer and did not have sufficient 'connections' to get the level of cancer care in the "Peoples' Republic of China" that say a high cadre of the CCP, and thus much better 'connected', would have got.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: