Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this absolutely stunning cobalt blue dragon pillar bottle. Imperial kilns, Jingdezhen.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
June 22, 2021, 08:42:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Yellow Glass SB

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yellow Glass SB  (Read 115 times)
Luke

« on: May 31, 2021, 08:37:38 am »

Dear members,

Here is a new one I purchased. The bottle is 5.3cms high x 4cms width and a translucent yellow. Itís quite heavy in the hand for a small bottle and has a wide mouth.

Under a loupe, I can see surface wear - minuscule pitting but is not visible to the naked eye and that may be because it's quite reflective.

I'd describe the color as egg yolk yellow and you can see some areas of varying swirled transparency. I havenít seen many of these monochrome bottles in real life or handled them. What do others think please? Age?

Best
Luke

* Y1.jpg (173.85 KB, 701x1000 - viewed 17 times.)

* Y2.jpg (153.57 KB, 557x1000 - viewed 12 times.)

* Y3.jpg (140.16 KB, 489x1200 - viewed 17 times.)

* Y4.jpg (239.83 KB, 900x844 - viewed 17 times.)

* Y5.jpg (188.13 KB, 900x686 - viewed 12 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:19 pm »

Really, really nice bottle Luke !

The masks are very nicely finished with a wonderful polish as is the raised foot rim. The mouth looks a bit wider than most. If the wall of the bottle is as thin as the neck wall, then very nice .

I will leave it to others to try and date, but a great bottle Luke Smiley

Congrats !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:42:07 pm »

Luke,

This color of yellow is often referred to as 'Imperial' yellow and is among the earliest colors produced in the Kangxi Glassworks, from 1696 onwards.  It was reserved for Imperial use, and a variety of different tones were made at the Imperial glassworks throughout the Qing dynasty, ranging from a relatively pale yellow to a much richer, egg-yolk tone.  As I recall the Empress Dowager Cixi (regent from 1861-1909) was fond of yellow and there were a number of yellow bottles produced at that time both in porcelains and glass. 

The stopper with a coral cabochon fitted in brass is an older style, often is seen on bottles from the early 19th century.  Unfortunately, your bottle is not one of these early imperial works, but appears to be consistent with bottles I've seen from the 2nd half of the 19th century into the Republican Period. Your bottle has lower sloping shoulders off the neck which I tend to associate with glass bottles I seen toward the end of Qing Period and into the 20th century. 

Hopefully, someone here can confirm my assessment and/or make the appropriate corrections to my comments.

Charll   

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Luke

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 01:53:11 am »

George - thank you! I really like this bottle as well. It really feels great in the hand and as said it is heavier than normal. After your comment, it occurred to me to really check the hollowing and contours of this bottle. Iím probably wrong but I think this bottle is hollowed out by hand or free hand blown. Itís unlikely to be done from the 2 mould process as the hollowing does not follow precisely the contours of the bottle. I've attached a photo indicating the hollowing. Incidentally, I canít find any air bubbles on this bottle. I know there are some bottles carved from solid glass blocks but the ones Iíve seen are stylistically different from this one. Lastly, itís smooth inside but not as smooth as you would see normally on a glass bottle and leads me to think it may have been smoothed manually after manual hollowing. I have a camera pen tool with which I can take a photo of the inside of the bottle which I will try to do at some point today.

Charll - very very interesting and I much appreciate your comments and assessment. Thank you. There is an example of a monochrome blue bottle I found on Hugh Mossís site with Robert Hall provenance of which I attach a photo. It's given a date range of 1740-1840. I think the shapes are very similar but this one does have more of a rounded shape where the shoulders meet the neck. Also, it is generally more bulbous. Of course, I would love this to be an 18thC example, but very happy with the later date range you propose too and that is probably much more likely.

Luke

* hollowing.jpg (155.62 KB, 748x1000 - viewed 12 times.)

* b1.jpg (69.42 KB, 609x900 - viewed 10 times.)

* b2.jpg (84.15 KB, 601x1000 - viewed 8 times.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 02:23:45 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 05:45:28 am »

Dear Luke,
very pleasant bottle, no doubt it has some age.
Please allow me to comment some points.
You have posted pictures with two distinct colors. By the color of your fingers, it is supposed that the closest color is that of the three last pictures, but that is a presumption of the observer, which is not always correct. There is no reason for posting pictures where one color, or even both, are or could be wrong. 
It is simply matter of properly setting the white balance feature of the camera, color is an important factor in judging bottles.
You said that on the bottle there are no signs of having it been made in two halves. I think that you are referring to the inside of the bottle, because you said that the thickness is not uniform. You will not find those signs on any glass bottle, that is only seen on porcelain. Glass bottles could be blown in a two halves mold, but anyway blown, not made by joining two halves.
I think that the bottle is blown and not hand hollowed. Personally I have never seen one, and if such, very easy to spot. If by lighting the inside you will see a very shiny inner surface, then it is blown and not carved.
Another point to look at is if there are swirls around the mouth.
Kind regards
 Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Luke

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:45:45 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you for the information about the white balance and your thoughts. The problem is Iím taking my photos on an iPhone and it seems to do this automatic white balance adjusting which I canít turn off. I spent ages trying to get the colour right in these photos and actually the true colour is much closer to the first 2 photos. Iíve just been reading online that I can use an app, which allows me to set the white balance. Iíll try and do that and supply some better pictures of the true color.

Apologies, regarding the 2 halves or 2 moulds - that was my misunderstanding. As I was in fact just reading about your glass hand bottle which is pinned in this topic and there was a big discussion about moulds and I misunderstood! I see now that a bottle can either be blown into 1 mould or it can be free from blown without a mould or of course carved from a solid block. It very likely is in fact blown as when I look at the mouth there are some very subtle swirls around the lip... Thank you - I think that issue is solved Smiley

Just for interest here is a bottle that is declared as being carved from a solid block and from the hollowing it perhaps looks that way - nice write up in the lot essay:
https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4952487

Best,
Luke
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:47:41 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 08:48:21 am »

Dear Luke,
so the real color is closer to that of the first two pictures, which I thought to be the less close one. It will be interesting to see to which one Charll was referring.
As for the Christieís bottle of your link, that one too is blown. The ďwell carvedĒ of the description is referred to the carving of the decoration.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 08:57:52 am »

Hi Luke

Thanks for your post. Lovely bottle and I like the color too!

As for the photos, if they are taken by a phone, you usually have very little control over the settings. A bit of post editing will be required.

For me, the easiest way is to upload them to your computer and use the standard Photo (Windows) program to edit it. Just open the image as normal and go to Edit & Create on the top right hand corner. Then select Edit from the pull down menu.

After that, select Adjustments from the top toolbar. On the right you will see several options: Light, Color, Clarity and Vignette. Just drag the bar in the Light and Color tool and adjust till you get the desired color. Save the image. You can apply this steps multiple times (if required) after the saving the image.

This way, you need not have to  install any additional App or program to edit the image.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate ē Educate ē Entertain
Luke

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 10:56:32 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Yes definitely closer to the first 2 pictures. I have used photoshop to color match this as close as possible. I think these are really close to the real color. However, as soon you have any kind of light source behind this bottle - even ambient light, the color of the bottle deepens and becomes more translucent.

Regarding the Christieís bottle - I should have said you need to scroll further down the page to the lot essay on that bottle. It goes into more detail. This is from the lot essay on that bottle:

This bottle is one of a group, mostly of this color but sometimes in blue, nearly always carved with chi dragons on the narrow sides. They are distinguished by being carved from solid blocks of glass rather than being blown, hence the heavier weight, indicating that they were made to imitate hardstones, in this case beryl.

Hi Richard,

Thank you! I think itís a nice one too. And, thanks again as I took your advice and went and colour matched this as close as possible. Iím able to use PhotoShop - I find that easier than the windows photo program, but Iím sure that would do the job just as well. Iíve added a couple of extra photos, which I think are more accurate.

Best all,
Luke

* Y_ColourCorrect1.jpg (119.15 KB, 635x900 - viewed 9 times.)

* Y_ColourCorrect2.jpg (127.43 KB, 716x900 - viewed 8 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Luke

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 12:55:32 pm »

Nice bottle Luke.  I think it has some age and appears in great condition.  Richard thanks for the tips on editing bottles taken with a phone camera!  I will use that in the future!  Look forward to hearing more input about this lovely yellow glass bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 07:52:58 pm »

Dear Luke,

I like the bottle and think it has 'age'.
I'd date it ca.1800-1900, and rather than 1850-1900.
I like the larger mouth.
But I'd call it Amber Glass rather than  [Imperial] Yellow glass.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

YT
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 10:11:50 pm »

Dear Luke,

I would agreed with Charll on the late 19th to 20th dating.
This bottle is too sharp and the slight heaviness doesn't render an earlier dating.
Although I don't understand your sense of quite heavy comparison.

I have recently bought some modern glass from China and the quality is amazing. Unless there is provenance, take more care before buying Glass Snuff Bottles.

Best wishes,
YT
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 01:03:23 am »

Dear Luke,
I havenít read that notes, my fault.
Said that, I would add that I donít believe it blindly. It may be hand hollowed, as said by Christies, but I would like to inspect it directly to be sure. I see too many unsupported opinions by the major auction houses.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 01:10:43 am »

Hi Luke

Thanks for the new photos. They look great!

Of course Photoshop is the best tool for the job. But that is provide one has the software, and know how to use is as well!

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate ē Educate ē Entertain
Luke

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2021, 02:37:06 am »

Jo - Thank you! It is in perfect condition Smiley

Joey - Thanks for your dating. Much appreciated. I read I think in a write-up on the lovely Crane Collection website that most imperial yellow bottles were opaque. Iím not sure if thatís true.

YT - Thanks for your thoughts. The weight of the bottle always bothered me. Itís heavier than expected compared to other glass bottles I have, which I consider 18th/19thC and are very light. I actually bought this bottle in a lot of 2 and I think the other bottle is earlier. Itís a red overlay on a translucent very pale yellow ground with 3 carps swimming amongst reeds. I will post that too once I get a chance to see whether others agree. Agreed, it is scary seeing some of the modern bottles being made in China.

Giovanni - That is definitely very true. Iíve seen bottles listed on Bonhams in London on a particular month that had a particular dating. Then the next month a very similar bottle is listed in NY with a completely different dating. IMO you canít really put your complete trust in any auction house!

Richard - Thanks! Yes PhotoShop is good, but a lot of controls. I will try and colour match my bottles going forward. Iíve been in the habit of just choosing the photo that looks the prettiest!

Best All,
Luke
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 02:39:28 am by Luke » Report Spam   Logged

Luke

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: