Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this absolutely stunning cobalt blue dragon pillar bottle. Imperial kilns, Jingdezhen.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
June 22, 2021, 09:56:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Painting Brushes

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Brushes  (Read 44 times)
George
Administrator

« on: May 16, 2021, 01:21:03 am »

In the picture, from left to right, they are respectively the Guangdong school, the Beijing school, the Shandong school, and the largest Hebei school. The biggest difference is the Guangdong from the first left. They use curved hooked brush as main painting tool, it can be bent freely with the arc due to its curved shape.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 02:02:13 am »

Thanks George,

Useful to have this information available on our forum!

Tom
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 02:21:08 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 02:17:27 am »

Dear George,
Thank you, very interesting.
I am impressed by the first tool, the Guangdong school one.
At first glance, I thought it quite difficult to use. My first thought was that the action of the other tools were more comparable to the traditional writing/painting activity.
But then I imagine how they are actually handled, and found exactly the opposite, the Guangdong one is very clever!
If the wood handle of that tool is held the same way of a traditional brush, the movement of the hand is exactly the same, with the only difference that instead of lowering the brush on the paper, it must be lifted against the inner surface of the bottle. Simple, but very clever.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 07:07:45 am »

I had a little difficulty when the term "bamboo brush" was used recently. Turns out it was simply a translation problem and was meant to mean bamboo pen. But want to share a pic.

"After soaking in water softly, the bamboo will be more softly and have a higher level of toughness. And then, the bamboo will be roasted a little bit to make it a bit curved shape. After the steps above, people will sharpen the nib. So the painter could dip ink and use it to paint. So as seen it is very different from the brush’s nib, which is made of animal hair.

From my perspective, it's better to call a Bamboo pen rather than a Bamboo brush. I think it’s a translation problem, which is also the reason that makes you confused".

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 04:36:07 pm »

Dear George,

A very informative thread, whether you call the bamboo tool a brush or a pen.
Thank you,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: