Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
February 05, 2023, 09:49:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Reverse Japanese Painting On Glass

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse Japanese Painting On Glass  (Read 304 times)
George
Administrator

« on: June 04, 2020, 04:57:05 pm »

Thought you guys might like to see this ..

Reverse painted picture on glass showing three young Japanese ladies in kimono garmets from the Meiji period (1868-1912) on the Kyobashi bridge which was first erected in 1879.  Because of the Meiji period kimono garmets and the bridge still in its original wood construction, this had to have been painted just before a great flood washed it away in 1885.  It is one of four hand carved wood panels that made up a lantern.

Reverse painting on glass is an art form consisting of applying paint to a piece of glass and then viewing the image by turning the glass over and looking through the glass at the image.
These paintings can be realistic or abstract. Realistic reverse paintings like this one are more challenging to create as one must, for example, in painting a face, to put the pupil of an eye on the glass before the iris, exactly the opposite of normal painting. If this is neglected the artist will not be able to correct the error as they will not get in between the glass and the paint already applied.

This style of painting is found in traditional Romanian icons originating from Transylvania. Jesuit missionaries brought it to China, and it spread to Japan from China during the Edo period (1603- 1868). Japanese artists took up the technique during the nineteenth century.

Kyōbashi (京橋) is the name of a bridge as well as the geographical region around it. Two regions with this name exist in Japan, one is in Tokyo and one lies in Osaka. It refers to a bridge connecting roads to Kyoto.
It is a neighborhood east of Tokyo Station in Chūō, Tokyo, Japan. It is one of the city's oldest commercial districts, although it has since been eclipsed by Ginza to the south and Nihonbashi to the north. Kyōbashi and Takarachō stations provide subway service.

* reverse1.jpg (946.51 KB, 1428x1766 - viewed 28 times.)

* reverse2.jpg (621.98 KB, 1203x1289 - viewed 13 times.)

* reverse3.jpg (595.68 KB, 1438x1134 - viewed 13 times.)

* reverse6.jpg (290.27 KB, 1046x906 - viewed 16 times.)

* reverse7.jpg (132.48 KB, 740x882 - viewed 15 times.)

* reverse8.jpg (308.94 KB, 1196x830 - viewed 14 times.)

* reverse9.jpg (179.7 KB, 607x893 - viewed 23 times.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:03:58 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 06:25:51 pm »

Since the original post.. I was given a picture of the third of the four panels from the lantern.. It has the Japanese artists seal that I am trying to get translated.. Crossing my fingers !

* reverse9a.jpg (186.76 KB, 720x1028 - viewed 18 times.)

* reverse9b.jpg (91.44 KB, 960x720 - viewed 18 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 06:59:35 am »

Dear George,

First of all, a facinating post!
Thank you for adding to our knowledge about a facet of Japanese art of which I for one, was thoroughly ignorant.

I understood that the Jesuits brought the art/craft of reverse glass painting from Bohemia,
where it was a common practice in the 17th/18th centuries.

By the way, the seal is in Japanese 'Kanji', which, while pronounced differently, is identical in writing to Chinese 'Kaishu'.
So anyone who can translate Kaishu, should be able to translate it into English.

For example, "Eastern Capital" is written the same in Kaishu and in Kanji.

But in Chinese, it is  pronounced 'Dongjing'; while in Japanese, it is pronounced 'To-kyo'.
Interestingly, even though Dongjing / Tokyo is in a different country, it still has the 'Chinese' name for "Eastern Capital".
The three Chinese capitals in the cardinal directions are Beijing ["Northern Capital"], Nanjing ["Southern Capital"],
and Xi'an ["Western Capital", 'An being the ancient word for Capital].

Best,
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 04:55:26 am »

First of all, a fascinating post!
Thank you for adding to our knowledge about a facet of Japanese art of which I for one, was thoroughly ignorant.

George,

My thoughts exactly same as Joey's...! 
I am now left wondering if the first inside painted bottles were inspired by similar reverse painting examples from centuries earlier.

Tom

PS: Good luck with your hunt for the other panels!
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 05:20:19 am »

Dear Tom,

It is a fact that Catholic missionaries, and English and other European merchants were ordering reverse painted objects from the mid-18th C.
They were doing this in Guangzhou, ie. Canton.
It is no surprise that the first dated IPSB, in the collection of YF Yang of blessed memory,is dated to 1798, 3rd year of the Jiaqing Emperor.
And was painted in the Guangzhou area by Gan Xuanwen.

Certainly, YF Yang was positive that this was the connection.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 02:13:56 pm »

I'd like to think that sometime in the late 1700s China, a fellow carrying a reverse painted glass panel bumped into a Jesuit holding a ship in a bottle. Then the lightbulb went off.  Grin

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Brian A third generation collector with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

George
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 01:38:39 pm »

I'd like to think that sometime in the late 1700s China, a fellow carrying a reverse painted glass panel bumped into a Jesuit holding a ship in a bottle. Then the lightbulb went off.  Grin

Brian

Love it !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 04:59:53 pm »

Actually, I need to correct myself. The lightbulb wouldn't be invented for about another 100 years. My cartoon logic tells my that since no one can have any good ideas without lightbulbs, the inside painted snuff bottle was probably a fluke.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 05:11:17 pm »

Dear Brian,

The first one was very funny. The second, hilarious.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 10:12:40 pm »

Dear Brian,

The first one was very funny. The second, hilarious.
Joey

At your service Joey.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: