Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 07:43:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Updates

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Corona Virus (COVID-19) Updates  (Read 2428 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2020, 01:12:15 am »

And lockdown is a good chance to clean up and admire your bottles.

A hitherto unforeseen 'benefit' of being a collector!
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:35 am »

I haven't posted for some time but have been checking in occasionally.

Hope all our members are getting through the Corona virus okay. It seems we are a fairly sensible group of people and have been acting responsibly to protect ourselves.

Glad to see Giovanni locked down as the situation in Italy looks bad and here in the UK the news suggests we will likely be in the same situation in the near future but any delay is a bonus as it gives more time to prepare seeing what other countries are going through.

Quite amazed to see pictures from Paris, supposedly in lock down, where a street market last Sunday was packed with people rubbing shoulders they were so close together.

Stay safe everyone !  Smiley

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 05:30:08 am »

People on the Bangkok metro are still packed in like sardines during morning and evening rush hours, as well as most of the hours between.
But at least 90% are wearing face masks while outside their homes.
Closure of schools, universities, bars, sports events and concerts will start this week. Shops and restaurants not on the list for now.
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

albert

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 07:29:14 am »

Hi forum,

Hope all our members and their families are ok, and are taking the correct protection.
In general, the situation in Spain state is similar to Italy. Well the government have had the opportunity to learn from Italy, but they don’t done it.
As I’m from Catalonia, I also been locked at home, but my situation is complicate, because my wife is a doctor and she must go every day to the hospital located in Barcelona city, and the situation there is like Giovanni have described in Italian hospitals.
I don’t know why European governments are not following the south Korea measures, for example.

My advice is that if your country is still not high affected by the virus, prepare yourself for it as soon as possible.
You can follow the evolution here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 08:09:04 am »

Albert,
Thanks for the Worldometers web link.
Stay safe!
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

George
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2020, 09:23:34 am »

I found this story pretty amazing.. Tells what is possible if you are on the ball..

"Vietnam has become the first country to fully contain SARS and COVID-19 without any deaths and developed a quick-test kit in one month that the World Health Organization says should have taken four years. Hanoi has quarantined entire streets and the local government distributed free food and living supplies to the people affected".

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2020, 10:11:01 am »

Dear Albert, sorry to hear that you are going to have the same situation that we are experiencing.
And sorry for the troubles that your family is going to afford due to the profession or your wife, but surely you will be proud of her, because doctors are now the very heroes.
I still believe that, outside this Country, people are not realizing the real situation.
Unfortunately, I also believe that it will be experienced everywhere.
I really, really hope to be wrong, but I think that it will be unavoidable.
Swab tests has been made here on all the population of a village. The result has been that m,ore than 50% were positive without symphtoms. You can figure out how this is dangerous.
Regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

albert

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 11:13:40 am »

Dear George,
Is told, that the problem on the Covid-19 is the fast transmission among people. It is not very aggressive like Ebola, for example. But, it produces that many many people having the illness. As Giovani told, many people don’t feel nothing, but is spreading the illness. this situation produces a huge number of problematic cases who will need artificial respiration and other help, and the hospital hasn't enough capacity for all of them. Imagine this situation on African or south American countries.
If your country is not very infected I would recommend, at least, prepare all the things for the old people who have more probability of death.
Stay at home, and don't go out is a good solution for many countries.

Dear Giovani,
Thank you for your words to my wife. It is a very difficult situation for her.
You told "I still believe that, outside this Country, people are not realizing the real situation." But I believe that even inside Spain, people is not realizing the real situation.

We will see how it continues.
Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 05:51:14 am »

I found this story pretty amazing.. Tells what is possible if you are on the ball..

Thanks George,

That is pretty amazing. I live almost next door to Vietnam, yet I was unaware of this success story.
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »

Keep strong, everyone.

Here in Israel, we've started the first human testing of our Coronavirus vaccine.
 But I don't know how long it will take to start supplying it to the public.
It is amazing how quickly things can be done, with computers to help develop and analyze results.
But there still are things that take time...
Best to all,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 04:14:14 pm »

This came from BESA [Begin-Sadat Center, Bar Ilan U., Israel]

Coronavirus and the Western Media

By   Dr. George N. Tzogopoulos March 19, 2020

Civil protection volunteers checking travelers at the Guglielmo Marconi airport, Bologna, Italy, 5 February 2020, photo via Wikimedia Commons

BESA Center Perspectives Paper No. 1,492, March 19, 2020

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: While the Western media initially perceived the coronavirus pandemic as exclusively belonging to China, they are now faced with the challenge of covering the crisis as it spreads across the Western world. An analysis of Italian front pages shows that fear is a recurrent feature in news coverage and reveals a delay in journalists’ understanding of the need to adopt difficult measures. Despite the weaknesses of their coverage, their example can perhaps help other Western media not only avoid politicization in a challenging time but also fight the constant stream of fake news spread via social media.

The role of the media in public health crises has long been an area of interest in the field of communication studies, with media coverage of SARS, influenza, and Ebola epidemics providing grist for research. Studies have examined the effect on media of proximity to the virus epicenter, national contexts, and local cultures, as well as the specific features of the media organizations selected for analysis.

Generally speaking, fear always receives major coverage. While journalists do report on precautionary measures, dramatization of the crisis, almost always fueled by messages sent by the political elites, tends to be a regular feature in media discourse.

As the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is ongoing, it is premature to draw hard and fast conclusions about how it is being covered by the Western media, but some preliminary insights can be offered.

Their response is best assessed in two phases: the outbreak of coronavirus in China and its rapid and broad spread across the West. During the first phase, most Western media defined the problem as Chinese and situated their news stories in the context of Sino-Western tensions. Coronavirus was seen as an opportunity to criticize the Chinese government, condemn its practices, and advocate for media freedom rather than focus on potential repercussions for global public health. Western journalists attributed measures taken in China to contain the virus, such as the lockdown of the Wuhan region, to its different political system. When fear was expressed, it had to do with potential consequences to the world economy. The assessment by US commerce secretary Wilbur Ross that the coronavirus outbreak in China could accelerate the return of jobs to North America did not generate much optimism in the media discourse.

To no one’s surprise, the coronavirus sparked disagreements between Washington and Beijing. In early February, The Wall Street Journal published an article by the American academic Walter Russel Mead, “China is the Real Sick Man of Asia,” that angered Beijing so much that it demanded an apology. (Mead responded that he was responsible for the content of his op-ed, not the title, which had been selected by the editors.)

In mid-February, the US put more pressure on China by announcing that it would treat five major Chinese state-run news agencies with operations in the country as foreign missions. As a result, these agencies would need to register their employees and properties with the State Department. At about the same time, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that it would revoke the press credentials of three Wall Street Journal reporters working in Beijing. Whether or not the two announcements were directly linked, they reflect a ratcheting up of mutual suspicion.

If the first phase of the coronavirus pandemic was relatively easy and safe for most Western media to report on, the second was, and continues to be, more complicated and emotional. Italy has been suffering since mid-February and a chain reaction has occurred in several other European countries. At this stage, it is easy to see the traditional trend of the media to amplify risk. Media scholar Karin Wahl-Jorgensen notes the usage of frightening language in British media, including the phrase “killer virus.”  In response to this media tendency, the World Health Organization published a guide to prevent social stigma. The guide encourages the spreading of facts and narration of sympathetic stories while challenging myths and stereotypes.

An analysis of the front pages of three Italian newspapers, Il Corriere della Sera, La Repubblica, and La Stampa, over the three weeks from February 20 through March 10 reveals interesting trends in coverage. In the first days, the papers almost completely ignored the coronavirus, focusing instead on other stories like the Hanau attacks in Germany. As they gradually realized the severity of the situation, they began to publish images from hospitals and reported on urgent government measures to block off the northern part of Italy and later the whole country. Only after the number of victims dramatically rose did the three papers put an emphasis on advising readers how to protect themselves and stressed the importance of staying home and abiding by the rules.

Subsequently, most stories have addressed the health dimension of the problem and its economic ramifications, hospital capacity, the heroism of doctors, the difficulty citizens are having supplying their basic needs, and some social consequences, such as limited revolts in prisons. The Italian government was criticized to an extent for not having put travelers returning to Italy from China into quarantine. The coverage was not politicized, however, with the exception of some pieces that appeared following calls in late February by Matteo Salvini for PM Giuseppe Conte to resign. The Italian papers’ coverage reflected a sentiment of national unity, especially in March.

The Italian media provide an example for other Western media of how to prevent high politicization during the pandemic. The mainstream American media might not be able to absorb this lesson, however, as the passionately anti-Trump agenda of much of the media cannot easily be reined in. With that said, politicization is not the greatest media risk during the crisis. Much more serious are misinformation and disinformation.

Unlike previous public health crises, the coronavirus pandemic is evolving amid an almost completely uncontrolled flow of fake news. Social media facilitate its spread. Whereas the debate about fake news up to now has revolved principally around its alleged impact on the political process, the current discussion is different. Inaccurate information cultivates illusions about nonexistent cures and can deceive desperate citizens into sharing personal details with malicious websites.

The traditional online media will have a greater and greater responsibility in the coming weeks to expose these activities and disseminate factual information provided by health authorities. This is also true of technology companies such as Facebook and Twitter, which both need to improve their fact-checking policies.

Dr. George N. Tzogopoulos is a BESA Research Associate, Lecturer at the Democritus University of Thrace, and Visiting Lecturer at the European Institute of Nice.

Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 05:18:24 am »

Thanks Joey,

A very interesting article.

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 05:42:53 pm »

George and all,

Donna and I are well.  Due to the sheltering at home I'm more or less playing the role of a house husband.   As a self employed consultant in the forest industry and a manager of timberlands my work demand has taken a nose drive off a cliff.  This time of year we would normally be in the middle of selling logs and getting ready to start up our timber operations (i.e., logging) on various properties.  Right now however the mills are not buying logs and they are in the either in a slowdown or are temporarily closing.

Donna on the other hand is working 10 to 12 hours a day.  She works for the County Health Department as a supervisor.  She and her staff are manning the phones all day, tracking and contacting local Covid-19 infection persons to self quarantine, and is assisting with coordination to keep the county's infection risks at a low level.  So at least one of us is working full time. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2020, 01:33:20 am »

Sorry to hear about your industries lack of work. Being a house husband does have its perks..  Wink

I read that in order to prepare for the rise of cases that they say is coming, your governor created a California Health Corps with some 37,000 workers into the state’s health care system to aid  existing providers like Donna, and various local Health Departments..  Maybe Donna and her co-workers will see a little relief from that ?

Thank you this update Charll.. Stay safe and stay well..
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2020, 02:25:43 pm »

Charll, David and I hope Donna stays safe as she does this important work.  We are both staying put at home on the farm in NC. It is nice to have some space around us and enjoy our yard.  This has really been quite an adjustment for us as we are use to being on the go all the time.  Hope all forum members are safe.  Its a great time to enjoy your bottles as well as other hobbies.  Be well my friends. 
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2020, 02:55:13 pm »

It is nice to have some space around us and enjoy our yard. 

We are sure missing the property we moved from a couple years ago.. Nice that you have that space to breath a little while all this craziness is going on..

Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰
Private Boards

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2020, 03:03:46 am »

Hello all

I hope everyone in the group is safe.  Myself, I am in Phuket, and not able to go back to Bangkok.  They locked up the entire province, and are now slowly locking up district by district.   Many tourists or residents came in from other countries during Feb and March before they closed off entry, so there are quite a number of recent infections, and rising.

I am well, and working remotely, but relatively immobile.  Only go out for shopping, and not allowed to go out without masks.  For those of view who have been to Bangkok, here is an interesting view of what it is like these days:

https://www.facebook.com/1435793606655820/posts/2629990853902750/?vh=e&d=n

Stay safe!  Take care...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:44:29 am by Pat - 查尚杰 » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2020, 03:33:48 am »

Hi Pat !

My goodness, you are in the thick of it. I think eventually, the US will have no choice but to start locking down area by area. Problem is that we are incapable of gathering test data that would be used to determine which areas. Of course we do have plenty of obvious hot spots, but we seem to ignore how other countries are fighting, and follow these necessary steps in order to have any kind of chance to contain the virus. Heck, we are just now starting to even acknowledge the importance of wearing masks even when going outside. We are light years behind in the fight.

Glad to hear you are able to do your work from home. That is a big plus. Thank you for checking in and hope you are able to continue and stay safe.
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2020, 07:38:05 pm »

Yup, George. AMAZING STORY.
But since they are COMMUNISTS, trust their veracity like you should trust the CHI-COMM's veracity.
DON'T.
The PRC 'claimed' that they first knew of the CCP Virus [Chinese Communist Party Virus, to call it its real name] from 20.Jan.
But we NOW know they knew they had it by early NOVEMBER.  In late DECEMBER, the  CHi-COMMs started buying up PPE [Personal Protection Equipment] etc., even though they themselves already PRODUCE 50% of the World's PPE.

I trust South Korea's statements, but NOT ANY from Moslem or Communist countries.
It amazes me that Western people will give Leftwing dictatorships the benefit of the doubt, but automatically distrust Free, democratically elected Western regimes.
Having said that, personally, I trust the Republican-run governments in the USA, and Rightwing governments [Israel, Australia, Austria, Hungary, Poland, etc.].
Keep Healthy, everyone.
Joey

"Vietnam has become the first country to fully contain SARS and COVID-19 without any deaths and developed a quick-test kit in one month that the World Health Organization says should have taken four years. Hanoi has quarantined entire streets and the local government distributed free food and living supplies to the people affected".

Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2020, 07:46:27 pm »

Yup, Tom.
AMAZNG is the correct term. Or BS. Or Lies.
I had the really eye-opening experience of becoming friendly with many immigrants who'd succeeded in escaping the then USSR to Israel,
after we moved to Israel in 1973 from then-free Canada [which is now becoming a dictatorial 'PC' {Politically Correct} police state].
They trusted nothing they did not personally see or at least, hear from someone they trusted.
They'd been 'educated in veracity' by the Commies in the Soviet Union.
They taught me that the first lie was in the title of the Soviet Communist newspaper:
'Pravda' translates as "Truth".
My new friends said it was all lies.

Best,
Joey

Thanks George,

That is pretty amazing. I live almost next door to Vietnam, yet I was unaware of this success story.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: