Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 28, 2022, 11:29:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Corona Virus (COVID-19) Updates

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Corona Virus (COVID-19) Updates  (Read 2428 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: March 09, 2020, 01:13:32 pm »

I'm praying that we finish perfecting the vaccine and share it with our friends ASAP. The are looking at 3 months to get the vaccine out as an oral prophylactic [orally ingested vaccine]; from Joey

Joey thanks for sharing the information below.  Our Center for Communicable Diseases (the CDC) is telling us here in the United States that it will be at least 18 months at the earliest for a vaccine to be available.   Charll

27 February, 2020
After 4 years of research funded by Israelís Ministry of Science & Technology, MIGALís researchers have developed an effective vaccine against avian coronavirus Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV), to be adapted soon and create a human vaccine against COVID-19

Israelís Minister of Science and Technology, Mr. Ofir Akunis, commented: ďCongratulations to MIGAL on this exciting breakthrough. I am confident that there will be further rapid progress, enabling us to provide a needed response to the grave global COVID-19 threat.Ē Minister Akunis has instructed the Director General of the Ministry of Science and Technology to fast-track all approval processes with the goal of bringing the human vaccine to market as quickly as possible.

After 4 years of multi-disciplinary research funded by Israelís Ministry of Science and Technology in cooperation with Israelís Ministry of Agriculture, MIGAL has achieved a scientific breakthrough that will lead to the rapid creation of a vaccine against Coronavirus. This possibility was identified as a by-product of MIGALís development of a vaccine against IBV (Infectious Bronchitis Virus), a disease affecting poultry, whose effectiveness has been proven in pre-clinical trials carried out at the Volcani Institute. MIGAL has now made required genetic adjustments to adapt the vaccine to COVID-19, the human strain of coronavirus, and is working to achieve the safety approvals that will enable in-vivo testing, enable the initiation of production of a vaccine to counter the Coronavirus epidemic currently spreading throughout the world, which so far has claimed 2,666 lives.

From research conducted at MIGAL, it has been found that the poultry coronavirus has high genetic similarity to the human COVID-19, and that it uses the same infection mechanism, a fact that increases the likelihood of achieving an effective human vaccine in a very short period of time.

Commenting on the news, David Zigdon, CEO of MIGAL GALILEE RESEARCH INSTITUTE, said, ďGiven the urgent global need for a human coronavirus vaccine, we are doing everything we can to accelerate development. Our goal is to produce the vaccine during the next 8-10 weeks, and to achieve safety approval in 90 days. This will be an oral vaccine, making it particularly accessible to the general public. We are currently in intensive discussions with potential partners that can help accelerate the in-human trials phase and expedite the completion final product development and regulatory activities.Ē

Dr. Chen Katz, MIGALís Biotechnology Group Leader, commented, ďThe scientific framework for the vaccine is based on a new protein expression vector, which forms and secretes a chimeric soluble protein that delivers the viral antigen into mucosal tissues by self-activated endocytosis (a cellular process in which substances are brought into a cell by surrounding the material with cell membrane, forming a vesicle containing the ingested material), causing the body to form antibodies against the virus. In pre-clinical (IN-VIVO) trials, MIGALís researchers have demonstrated that the oral vaccination induces high levels of specific anti-IBV antibodies.

MIGAL Galilee Research Institute Ltd is a regional R&D center of the Israeli Science and Technology Ministry owned by the Galilee Development Company Ltd. In 2019, Israelís Ministry of Science and Technology provided MIGAL with NIS 30 million to fund its research, covering approximately 50% of its budget. MIGAL is an internationally-recognized multi-disciplinary applied research institute that specializes in biotechnology and computer sciences, plant science, precision agriculture and environmental sciences, and food, nutrition and health. MIGALís employees include 90 PhDs and 190 researchers distributed across 44 research groups, each managed by a senior principal investigator. In addition, MIGALís field researchers carry out projects in experimental farms. With unique capabilities MIGAL has evolved into an innovative research ecosystem that encourages collaboration across scientific, industrial, agricultural, academic and technological specialties, generating sustainable value to Israel's northernmost region.
For more information, please contact: Yael Shavit 050-7777950,
Ella Dagan 050-3301936

We were told that the vaccine should be available in hundreds of millions of doses by 01.June...

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 02:44:39 am »

Dear Charll,

My family has business interests in another area of medicine, producing isotopes for Medicinal use [Isotopia Israel Ltd.].

I asked one of the boffins [an English term for scientists; I've wanted to be able to use 'boffin' in a sentence, since first I read the word in an article in the UK Sun! 'Quango' is another term ... ;-) ] in the company about the COVID-19 vaccine, and timelines.

His wife has a cousin who knows the wife of one of the people in MIGAL [we are a small country, after all], and it seems that :
1. The vaccine is already perfected 
2. It is cheap and quick to produce
3. They will be able to produce hundreds of millions of little ampules of the vaccine in a few weeks. I understand that one must take two ampules for it to work, but that might not be right. It could be one, or it could be 3. In any event, they are talking about production costs being
10 for a USD, once TEVA Pharmaceuticals is tasked with producing the ampules; and selling them for 1 USD each in the Developed World, and
free in Africa etc., to eradicate the threat.

It seems Pres. Trump, May G-D Bless him, Protect him and Help him,
has already spoken to Bibi Netanyahu, and the USA will take the lead
in funding the operation, and returning the World to its pre- COVID-19
status [freedom to move around without fear; freedom from a rampant
virus destroying our lifestyles and lives].

In an article [I've not read it, but just the headline], PM Bibi has thanked Pres. Trump for his help with COVID-19.
It was suggested that Pres. Trump is planning to be the chief 'guardian angel' for this project, and that 'PHIBRO' of Teaneck NJ is a partner in MIGAL. Also 'ICL Innovation'.

But what's interesting is, there are less than 30 dead so far in the USA, out of 700-800 sick. But so far this year, there are already over 15,000 dead from 'regular' flu; and not this hysteria about the flu.

Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:06:47 am »

It was suggested that Pres. Trump is planning to be the chief 'guardian angel' for this project,

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:44:39 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:04 am »

Dear Giovanni,

Sorry to hear if the rapid spread of COVID-19 in
Italy, resulting in the lock-down of the entire country.
How are you and loved ones coping with latest development
in Italy ?

Is it true that the first case in Italy is a man who contracted
the virus after returning from Hawaii ? He later
travel to a number of places in Italy without knowing
that he is a carrier of the Covid-19 virus.

Regards
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:53 pm »

Dear Inn Bok,
thank you for your concern. I personally am not suffering so much the lockdown. We live in open country side, only three families here, and it is just matter of avoiding contacts as much we can. I strongly suggest everybody to stay home, it is the only tool that we have by now.
But there are some crazy situations, people buying compulsively at supermarkets, etc etc.
It has not been detected precisely how it started. It seems that it is not the same virus that have infected China.
And probably it has been brought by a German citizen who visited Codogno, the village at 20 km from here, where all it started.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 04:20:04 am »

I find this topic very interesting as it has already affected myself. I came back from Singapore after the Chinese New Year. They already had some cases there. As soon as I got back I came down with a hacking cough, which as you probably know is one of the first signs of the virus. I immediately self Isolated, which is not difficult were I live in the middle of nowhere in rural Wales. I stopped  there for the best part of a Month until the symptoms disappeared and am now back to normal ( whatever that is)!!!!!!. But I went to great lengths not to infect ant one else. I urge every one else to act with restraint. I am appalled that this country has not shut down totally unnecessary sporting events.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 04:48:42 am »

I am appalled that this country has not shut down totally unnecessary sporting events.  Shocked

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and you did the right thing..

I agree 100% about totally shutting down sporting events, but also believe that all public gatherings should cease as well..
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 10:12:58 am »

You did exactly the right thing.

Here in Israel, a guy who is part owner of a toy store chain, 'The Red Pirate', flew in from Milan, went to work for 4 hrs. in one of his stores, went back the next day for another 4 hrs., and did other stuff.

We know that so far, he's infected 7 others, including a high school student [15 yrs. old.], who infected at least 6 in the school [whole school under quarantine], and the youth also went to a football [Soccer] game at a stadium with 5,000 attending. They were able to isolate the 77 he could have infected, and they are in isolation now. At least 3 of them have the virus.

The moron came from Milano, and KNEW the disease was in the area.
I wrote an email recommending the company have to pay compensation of ILS 500K [USD$ 150K] to each person infected, and USD$50K to each person forced to be quarantined, due to the owner's disregarding his ethical and moral, as well as legal, obligation NOT to infect others.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 04:45:46 pm »

ďAll shops will be closed except for basic necessities, such as pharmacies and food. Home delivery is allowed. The activities of bars, pubs and restaurants are therefore suspended all the day. While newsstands and tobacconists will be open (Why tobacconists???). Industries will remain open but with "security measures", that is, provided they guarantee initiatives to avoid contagion. Early holidays for workers are recommended if possible. Transport, agricultural activities, banking, insurance and postal services will be guaranteed".
These are the just released new measures decided here for ALL the Country, not only North Italy.
Dear friends, it is a serious thing. Hospitals are having great difficulties. If it has arrived in your Country, even if it is at the beginning with only few cases, STAY HOME!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 06:44:45 pm »

STAY HOME!

Things are taking a notable turn here in Washington State..

Governor Inslee has issued a State wide mandate today for King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties, that public gatherings of 250 people are prohibited by the state. These include but are not limited to: community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based, or sporting events; parades; concerts; festivals; conventions; fundraisers and similar activities.

Today, I am forced to look at "staying home" to include leaving my job.  I have been preparing over the past few weeks for just a scenario.. We are well stocked, but only for a few months worth of home containment. 

It is the tougher choices that are ahead that I am most concerned..
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:51:03 pm »

Dear George,

G-D Willing, in 30 - 45 days, you and all the USA should be able to put it behind you.
joey
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 11:45:39 am »

Guys, STAY HOME, please, STAY HOME.
You have no idea of what is happening here, and we are not yet reaching the peak.
I am sure that it will happen almost the same everywhere.
STAY HOME, it is the only thing that you can do for protecting yourself.
Regards,
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 08:01:40 pm »

Guys, STAY HOME, please, STAY HOME.
You have no idea of what is happening here, and we are not yet reaching the peak.
I am sure that it will happen almost the same everywhere.
STAY HOME, it is the only thing that you can do for protecting yourself.
Regards,
Giovanni

Thank you Giovanni.. I hope you are able to continue and stay away from the general population.. For those of us here in the US who are not hanging on to the shirt tails of an ignorant president and vice president, we truly have been paying attention to the horrible tragedies as they unfold in Italy..  For many here in the US, it will take having the virus actually knocking on there door before they stop drinking the trump Kool-Aid..

I have been on the fence the past week as to if I should stop going to work, which has been the one and only thing I do that requires me to leave the house.. Aside from work, my girlfriend and I are hunkered down at home.. We have prepared as best we can, and feel pretty good about our preparations..

Things are finally happening quite swiftly here in Washington State, and of course other states as well.. It will be the swift and drastic actions taken by State and local governments that may be our saving grace.. Our federal government has and continues to be a complete failure..

I pray for you and all other members, and that your families are able to remain healthy and safe.

For all members.. Please keep us informed here how you and your families are doing.. Feel free to share anything and everything..  We have always maintained an unwritten rule to limit as best we can political and religious discussions, but please know that during this pandemic, you are encouraged to post any and all pandemic related discussions..

Best to you all... 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:52:49 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 11:28:53 pm »

STAY HOME!

Things are taking a notable turn here in Washington State..

Governor Inslee has issued a State wide mandate today for King, Snohomish, and Pierce counties, that public gatherings of 250 people are prohibited by the state. These include but are not limited to: community, civic, public, leisure, faith-based, or sporting events; parades; concerts; festivals; conventions; fundraisers and similar activities.

Today, I am forced to look at "staying home" to include leaving my job.  I have been preparing over the past few weeks for just a scenario.. We are well stocked, but only for a few months worth of home containment. 

It is the tougher choices that are ahead that I am most concerned..

Washington State, Gov. Jay Inslee released statement tonight that he will sign an emergency proclamation tomorrow to close all restaurants, bars and recreational facilities temporarily.

Restaurants will be allowed to service customers through take-out or delivery, but no one is allowed to dine inside.

The ban will not apply to grocery stores and pharmacies. Retail stores will have reduced occupancy.

Additionally, all gatherings with over 50 participants are prohibited and all gatherings under 50 participants are prohibited unless previously announced criteria for public health and social distancing are met.

In addition, all schools K-12 are now closed through out the entire State..

Washington State universities, colleges, technical, and trade schools are now starting to require students to do their courses online as they either cancel or postpone campus classes.. Students are also beginning to receive notices that they will have to leave their current on campus housing and dorms.

Large stores like Walmart, Winco, and Costco that have always been 24 hour stores are now closed from 11:00 pm until 6:00 am.. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:58:19 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 12:22:09 am »

Dear all,

Nice to hear that you are all well.
My wife and I go out only to buy provisions. We sense
no need to stock up food. Communicating with family members
and friends are via video call or WhatsApp call.
Because of some gradual increase in imported cases ( travellers
entering Sípore with symptoms of COVID-19 ), Sípore
government has put up restrictions on foreign arrivals, inc.
self-isolation upon arrival ).
Some countries are still allowing large group gatherings ( up to
500 pax.) ! Recently, in Sípore, two dinner functions
were organised within the same premises. One attended by about
200, and the other about 400. A few days later some participants
were diagnosed to hv Covid-19 cases ! Of course, they spread to
more people.

Regards
Inn Bok
Report Spam   Logged

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2020, 12:27:35 am »

We are fortunate that there is enough test kits here
in Sípore and the system for contact tracing is also
very rigorous and efficient. This allows our health
officials to be able to identify the cluster and take
actions quickly.
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2020, 09:05:18 am »

Hi Inn Bok,

When I was in S'pore for the Chinese New Year there were only a handful of cases, how is it progressing there, how many cases do you have now, how many fatalities?  We have had our first death in Wales, a 68 year old man from Wrexham! It seems all deaths in the UK are older people 60-80's

Jas.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 10:04:47 am »

Guys, the situation here is incredible.
the cases are still growing, we have not yet attained the peak. The hospityals are no more in condition to accept all emergencies.
Even worst, this is only related to North Italy. The virus is now spreading toward South, were hospitals are much less in quantity and in quality.
We are burying people without funerals. We are committing warehouses, hotels, cruise ships, to set up provisorious hospitals. Incredible, never seen that before.
We are like being in War.
STAY HOME, I am convinced that it is going to happen the same almost everywhere.
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 04:14:54 pm »

Hey everybody,

Two nights ago, my wife cancelled her spring break with our girls.  They had been planning to drive to Florida.  But they're doing the right thing by staying home. I'm proud of our girls for understanding, especially since it's hard to convince teenagers the importance of health, safety, and social responsibility vs. short term sun at the beach!  Ohio's governor, Mike DeWine has been pretty quick to enact marshal law, so we're riding it out the best we can.  i'm fortunate that my wife is a bit of a hoarder, so we're pretty stocked with the essentials.

Stay safe everyone,

Rube.

PS - Happy birthday tomorrow Joey!
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

wgeoff
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2020, 08:49:08 pm »

Hi All

We in Hong Kong have now been in CoV lockdown for six weeks.
But, to re-assure you, things do get better if the situation is kept under strict control. Most offices, including Government, are now open again although Schools and Universities are still closed until at least Easter, operating home learning. Panic buying is over, people are calmer.

And lockdown is a good chance to clean up and admire your bottles.

The only problem I have is - how can any Government decide the situation has become good enough to return life to normal? - e.g. open the borders.

Geoff   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:52:54 pm by wgeoff » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: