Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 07:42:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Kintsugi: the Japanese art of repair

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kintsugi: the Japanese art of repair  (Read 130 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« on: January 23, 2020, 12:33:19 am »

Hi All,

Over the years Joey has often recommended flaunting repairs, rather than trying to hide them, especially with porcelain snuff bottles.
Quote:
I have my porcelains, and indeed other Asian objects, repaired when needed, with gold lacquer. It flaunts the damage, saying, "This piece is so good (or rare, or special), that I'm happy to openly show that it's repaired".

I recently stumbled across the Japanese term for this art of repair. Maybe some of you already knew it, but for those like me who didn't, here it is:

Definition of Kintsugi
Kin'tsugi (金継ぎ, "golden joinery"), also known as Kin'tsukuroi (金繕い, "golden repair"), is a Japanese art form in which breaks and repairs are treated as part of the object’s history. Broken ceramics are carefully mended with lacquer dusted or mixed with powdered gold, silver, or platinum, a method similar to the maki-e technique. The repairs are designed to be visible – yet beautiful.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:30:19 am »

I have always thought that these repairs added a great deal of beauty to the piece..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:09:19 am »

Dear Tom,
Kintsugi is a well-known technique in the Ceramic field.
If you find an ancient Chinese ceramic with gold repair, then most probably it has been treasured by the Japanese and this is a possible sign of authenticity. Unfortunately this is known by the fakers too and if you look on ebay there are lot of fake ceramics with fake gold repair.
This my Jian hares fur bowl is an example, it has a good kintsugi repair and I believe that it has been treasured in Japan, where these bowls, known as Temmoku, was treasured.
The technique consists in fixing the cracks by different lacquers, being the main one Urushi, the more important of Japanese lacquers, and then covering the repair with gold or silver.
The Japanese have an appreciation for all what is imperfect, for which they have a proper word, wabi-sabi, and it seems that they can even purposely damage a piece with the sole intention of having it repaired.
The technique is very Japanese; in Japan there are masters of kintsugi repair, while outside Japan it is not a common practice. A kintsugi restorer must have been in Japan to learn the real technique.
I suppose that in England and USA there must be some real Kintsugi restorers, but for example here in Italy not.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* top.JPG (35.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 17 times.)

* IMG_3.jpg (33.1 KB, 640x480 - viewed 15 times.)

* IMG_5.jpg (30.6 KB, 640x480 - viewed 19 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 11:40:39 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Thank you for posting your fine example of Kintsugi repair! I am sure the technique is well known to collectors of oriental ceramics. But I did not previously know of the exact word in Japanese to describe this type of repair. So I was quite excited to find it by accident while looking for something else.

Purposely damaging a piece with the sole intention of having it repaired is, to my mind, going a bit too far!

Regards,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 09:27:58 am »

Wonderful thread.
Thank you to all who contributed.
Shabbat Shalom,
and
Gong Xi Fa Zai!