Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Geoff shared this beautiful rutilated quartz crystal children playing bottle painted by Li Xiaojing 李晓静

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 26, 2020, 03:15:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Journey to the West

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey to the West  (Read 79 times)
snuffmke

« on: January 11, 2020, 09:01:16 pm »

Here's an interesting bottle from the collection. I have no idea who the artist is so I'd love any insight that could be shared.

Front appears to show a scene from the famous Chinese epic Journey to the West. Tang Sanzang ("Tripitaka"; a monk) is accompanied by Zhu Bajie ("Pigsy") and Shu Wujing ("Sandy"). On the back is Sun Wukong ("Monkey King") being chased from the Water Curtain Cave by the Demon King of Confusion. That's my read at least, please correct me if I'm wrong. Story seems fascinating, I'll have to do more reading.

I have included a pic of my Grandpa's index card to give a little more background. He didn't have Wikipedia. Researching this stuff is so much easier now. Haha.

Brian

* snuff-266.jpg (155.61 KB, 700x700 - viewed 9 times.)

* snuff-267.jpg (131.59 KB, 700x700 - viewed 3 times.)

* snuff-264.jpg (157.01 KB, 700x700 - viewed 11 times.)

* snuff-265.jpg (127.58 KB, 700x700 - viewed 1 times.)

* snuff-268.jpg (115.09 KB, 700x700 - viewed 2 times.)

* snuff-269.jpg (93.06 KB, 700x700 - viewed 1 times.)

* IMG_9579.jpg (81.92 KB, 700x525 - viewed 9 times.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:24:25 pm by snuffmke » Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 09:19:39 pm »

I wonderful bottle and I really like it a lot Brian !

I really hope someone can translate the script for you. It is signed by the artist.. Looking forward to learning more.

The photographs show a tint of yellow to the bottle so it may be lead crystal.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
snuffmke

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:37:33 pm »

Thanks George. And that's an interesting observation. Does leaded crystal always show hints of yellow, or only after aging?

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:10:23 pm »

Thanks George. And that's an interesting observation. Does leaded crystal always show hints of yellow, or only after aging?

Brian

I believe always, but lets wait to have others confirm that for you.
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 01:21:59 am »

Dear George and Brian,
I have nothing to say about the bottle because I know nothing about IP bottles.
I would just note that the yellowish tint must be due to a not accurate camera’s White Balance setting.
This is visible by the white paper, that is not really white, and also by the dark grey background, which too has a tinge.
The White Balance setting is not matching the colour of the light source.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 09:19:31 am »

Giovanni,

The index card and the bottle pictures were taken at two different times and places. The bottle was taken in a lightbox at 5500K with a little exposure correcting. The colors should be darn near accurate.

Update: I actually looked at the photos in Lightroom again and the white balance was just a hair too far on the yellow side, so I have updated all of the photos. Good catch!

Brian
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:25:57 pm by snuffmke » Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:57:18 pm »

Curious if anyone else has anything they can tell me about the artist of this bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 06:30:07 am »

Dear Brian,

Giovanni, rarely, if ever, makes a mistake in a technological issue like this.
Which I think makes him despair of ever helping a Luddite like me get more tech savvy.
Although I don't think I'll ever be as stupid as the woman who complained to Apple that her coffeecup holder wasn't strong enough (she meant the disk insert mechanism!).
Best,
Joey

Giovanni,

The index card and the bottle pictures were taken at two different times and places. The bottle was taken in a lightbox at 5500K with a little exposure correcting. The colors should be darn near accurate.

Update: I actually looked at the photos in Lightroom again and the white balance was just a hair too far on the yellow side, so I have updated all of the photos. Good catch!

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:22:46 am »

Dear Joey,
you make me bush😊
Dear Brian, I have not understood completely what you meant, because I do not use any photo editor at all. I may be wrong, but I do not rely in principle on a software that can correct the white balance with absolute certainty. It must be judged from the user I think, hence subjective. Or, if it does it automatically, how can it know for sure the color temperature of the light involved, without a reference? BTW I may be wrong.
In any case, in my opinion setting the White Balance on place by means of a white or neutral grey paper is absolutely sure and extremely quick, so I prefer that and always do it.
In any case, we see that the glass of your bottle is indeed colorless; there are some yellowish tinge that it is due to the decoration.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:29:30 am »

Dear Joey,
you make me bush😊 [Blush?]

Kind regards
Giovanni

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

snuffmke

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 09:53:32 am »

Dear Joey,
you make me bush😊
Dear Brian, I have not understood completely what you meant, because I do not use any photo editor at all. I may be wrong, but I do not rely in principle on a software that can correct the white balance with absolute certainty. It must be judged from the user I think, hence subjective. Or, if it does it automatically, how can it know for sure the color temperature of the light involved, without a reference? BTW I may be wrong.
In any case, in my opinion setting the White Balance on place by means of a white or neutral grey paper is absolutely sure and extremely quick, so I prefer that and always do it.
In any case, we see that the glass of your bottle is indeed colorless; there are some yellowish tinge that it is due to the decoration.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,
Ideally, I would have had a professional camera where I could have locked down exposure and ensured proper white balance with a reference card. Alas, I only had 1.5 hours to take pictures of roughly 100 bottles and it was at my parent's house where I had none of my photographic equipment. And that was six pictures for each bottle, so I only had 1 minute or so per bottle! So speed was definitely a priority. I just used my iPhone to take the pictures in the little photo box I bought my father for Christmas. Unfortunately, that meant that each photo that I took had its own exposure, which can effect the color balance. I had to tweak all of the photos "by hand". Not ideal, but at least I have photos of everything now.
Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:33:35 am »

Dear Brian,
a sort of emergency situation! You did very well considering the situation. My one was of course a general comment.
Dear Joey, you are right, blush; bush is another thing Grin
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: