Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Geoff shared this beautiful rutilated quartz crystal children playing bottle painted by Li Xiaojing 李晓静

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
February 26, 2020, 04:58:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Question About Possible Snuff Bottle Pouch

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Possible Snuff Bottle Pouch  (Read 99 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« on: December 22, 2019, 02:36:28 am »

Here is a Mongolian bottle with what I believe is the original pouch/case.  Have not seen something like this before.

Perhaps it would wrap around the owners belt ?

George,

You seem to be on a roll with pouches! This one looks quite intriguing. I've never come across one like it before, and have no idea how it would be worn / carried. Good luck in winning it.

Regarding the 'Mongolian' bottle accompanying the pouch, I have the following comment: Over the course of five visits to Ulaanbaatar I came across a fair number of snuff bottles, but never found any like this (which I always understood to be Mongolian from descriptions in snuff bottle publications). When I asked a local why there weren't any to be seen, his answer was that they are Tibetan, not Mongolian!

Since other Mongolian artifacts seen in their cultural museum do include silver-work inlaid with coral and turquoise, I conclude that they perhaps did make snuff bottles of this kind in the 18th and 19th centuries, but no longer do. And, since snuff bottles continued to evolve and be used up to the present time, that style was long ago replaced by what one sees today.

Best,
Tom
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 02:42:31 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: