Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
December 04, 2022, 03:28:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Iron Red Dragon Motifs

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Red Dragon Motifs  (Read 284 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: October 28, 2019, 10:46:21 pm »

All, spending some time tonight cataloging another recent bottle purchase.  Sometimes it just takes some time to acquire a bottle.  I first saw this bottle eight years ago at the 2011 ICSBS Convention held in West Palm Beach, Florida.  One of the dealers, Michael C. Hughes, had this bottle in his display.  I had already spent my convention purchase budget on another bottle at the time, so had to pass on this bottle.  However, this was just one of those bottles that I could never get out of my mind.  Though he did not bring it to this yearís Minneapolis convention, as it turned out he still had it and I was able to acquire it at a substantial discount from the original asking price.  For many this bottle would be nothing special, and in my opinion it is very late 19th century.  But Iíve always loved its Halloween color palette. 

Overglaze Black and Iron Red Enamel Dragon Snuff Bottle:
An unusual two tone iron-red and black enamel porcelain snuff bottle of cylindrical shape with a continuous scene of a vibrantly 4-clawed dragon painted around the body.  The dragon has claws that are picked out in white enamel and black eyes, amidst many heap and piled black enamel clouds.  Dragon scales are individually painted (i.e., not cross-hatched).  Bottle sets upon an unglazed raised foot rim with an unmarked glazed base.  Coral stopper with a brass inset pin finial and antique black button collar, with a bone spoon.  Height without stopper is 3 inches (7.6 cm) and the bottle width is 1 inch (2.6 cm) in diameter. 

Period: 1830-1900

Condition: Very good kin fresh condition with a few very small glaze dimples.

Provenance:  Michael C. Hughes LLC, 116 East 68th Street, Suite 3-4D, New York, NY 10065

Happy Halloween, Charll

* Red & Black Dragon(4).jpeg (33.55 KB, 219x328 - viewed 42 times.)

* Red & Black Dragon(5).jpeg (33.94 KB, 183x312 - viewed 34 times.)

* Red & Black Dragon(6).jpeg (33.06 KB, 207x310 - viewed 31 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 01:39:51 am »

The black and red sure do pop.  Very vibrant !

Perfect Halloween bottle Charll, and as always a very meticulous description.

Thank you for sharing !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:47:28 am »

Dear Charll,

I agree with George.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:09:16 am »

Charl,

Nice dragon,  I especially like the scales.
Can't believe Michael C. Hughes is 3 blocks from my aunt in NYC.  Next visit, I'll try and look him up!
Cheers,

Rube.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:11:10 am by Rube » Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: