Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 28, 2022, 10:40:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff bottles and heat

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff bottles and heat  (Read 822 times)
snuffmke
Private Boards

« on: October 05, 2019, 03:41:29 pm »

I was gifted two rather nice snuff bottle cabinets about a year ago and still haven't hung them up (mostly because they'll be really empty if I do). I've decided that I now have enough bottles to at least partially fill one of them. My office at home, where I'd like to hang them up, has so many windows and doors that actual wall space is hard to come by. One of the few places I can put it is above a radiator. It's a rather tall radiator though and the bottom of the cabinet would probably only be 8 inches or so above the top of the radiator.

Is this a bad idea and why?
Report Spam   Logged

Brian A third generation collector with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 03:56:29 pm »

Dear Brian,

REALLY bad idea. The heat could hurt the bottles, if they are organic or glass, or even harder materials. And the heat could damage the cabinet/s .
Not to be recommended.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:47:44 pm »

Hi Brian,

I'm with Joey in thinking it is a bad idea. Also, while I quite like those cabinets I have a (likely unreasonable) fear of them falling off the wall and the consequences that would bring.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:55:43 pm »

Message received.  Tongue

Figured it was a bad idea, just wanted to understand why. I may have to get a smaller bookcase to free up more wall space.

Adrian, I hear you about the cases. They're beautiful, but make me nervous to hang. These are so nice though. Nicely carved with mirror backs. Have though. I'm actually going to use at least three L brackets on the bottom and two on the top. That should distribute the weight well, really lock it in, and hold it tight to the wall. But boy is it going to be a pain in the ass to install.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 12:11:09 am »

Dear Brian,

I understand your frustration about not being able to display your bottles in cases specially designed for them. But what Joey and Adrian say is right, such cases are not the best place to keep our bottles. The atmospheric factor being an issue, and the consequence of any of them falling off the wall is certainly unbearable! To snuff bottle lovers like us, wed probably wish we had not lived if that ever happens!... Shocked

I bought a pair of flat snuff bottle cases from the States (meant to be placed on a table or in a drawer, with glass on the lid) a year or so ago (cost me quite a fortune to ship them back as they were bulky). Id never seen anything like them before but Id consider them to be safe enough to place bottles temporarily for display. Ill post a pic here when I find one.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 11:37:34 am »

Brian,

For those like me that have a wide range in quality of bottles in their collection (contemporary, to inexpensive collectables (ex, Peach River Studio IP), to top quality) my way around this conundrum I put my low end and collectable bottles out in the cabinets.  My better and high quality bottles stay in lined boxes.   

Just another approach.  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Jungle Jas

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 12:18:16 pm »

Hi Brian,

I agree 100% with what has been said above with one exception and that  is, get them out on display. What is the point of having a collection of bottles you cant see and therefor cannot enjoy. Life itself is a risk, get them on the wall and enjoy them. If you don't have enough room to display them all at the same time, display part of your collection then change them around every so often. Enjoy.

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 03:32:01 pm »

Jason,

I have the opposite opinion, taught me by YF Yang of blessed memory.
He taught me that if you think about stuff you have on the wall, after 6 months,
you NEVER look at it. Because you KNOW what is there.

YF taught me to keep my bottles in padded boxes, and make the effort to
take out a box or three, and look at them. By investing the time and effort to
take out the boxes and look at the bottles, instead of having them out on display all  the time, I feel that I'm investing the viewing with more meaning.

This is why Chinese scholars / Literati NEVER have more than a single scroll and a single art object [like a snuff bottle or a brushwasher] out at any one time.

When I look at my Western-decorated study, with 12 pictures and photos around my computer station, and another 12 hanging artworks, plus 109 individual objects [from snuff bottles to meditation rocks, etc.], and realise how few I've looked at, 6 months after I placed them in their locations, I see the wisdom in YF's attitude.

Best
,Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 04:14:32 pm »

Ill post a pic here when I find one.
Samson,

I'd love to see a pic of that case. That sounds really interesting.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 04:20:08 pm »

...get them out on display. What is the point of having a collection of bottles you cant see and therefor cannot enjoy.
Jason,

Completely agree. One of the frustrations I have with another, earlier collections of mine (banknotes) is that they must stay in their protective albums. I go months without looking at them. In fact, it has probably been a couple months now since I've looked at them. In fact, I'll probably start selling some of them because I'm more interested in snuff bottles at this point. But I definitely want to have something that I can at least partially put on display. Just makes me happy to see them, ya know.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 04:24:55 pm »

I put my low end and collectable bottles out in the cabinets.  My better and high quality bottles stay in lined boxes.

Charll,

That sounds like a great approach. I have a number of modern IP bottles that I could display in the cabinets. I could use padded boxes for the "good stuff".

Interesting. Thanks for the ideas.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 04:31:48 pm »

Joey,

That's really interesting. It turns the "display" of the collectible from a passive experience (glance at something on a shelf or in a cabinet) to a more active experience (fetch and handle). There's something attractive about this approach I must admit. Never really thought about it before now, but that's what Sylvan and Faith Golder did. I remember when I visited their home he brought out box after box of bottles. I think he did have some out on display, but I can't really swear to it. I can definitely see a mix: have one cabinet up so some things can be displayed, but make it a rotating collection so you never become "blind" to your display.

Hmm, this may make it into one of my future collecting research articles...

Brian

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »

Dear Brian,

According to Mr. Yang, of blessed memory, it was the Literati approach to collecting. 
Think back to your visit to the Golders.
Wasn't there a frisson of excitement, as a box was brought out and then opened?
What till now hidden treasures were going to be revealed ?
When I make the effort, I am always rewarded.
And it is safer for the bottles.

But I must say, as one who, at 15, put up a display case by myself [BIG mistake!!!]. With the result that, when I opened the door, and made it off balance, the whole thing flipped up and 23 bottles fell out, of which 4 were irreparably damaged.

If the case is SECURELY fastened to the wall, there is no real problem.
Unless, like me, you are dispraxic [a fancy word for really clumsy!], or otherwise spatially challenged.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 07:19:51 pm »

Joey,

Yes, it was definitely more of a ceremony. Expectation, excitement, mystery. All of that. I was almost more amazed at how many boxes he had. It was really pretty impressive.

I do believe I'd be sick to my stomach if I had a whole bunch of bottles fall out of a cabinet on me. Yikes! That must've been horrifying.

So that leads to my next question. Where does one get the snuff bottle boxes? Like the 10 per box that the Golders had. I've looked online and haven't been able to find anything. Is this something Jill Guo would have? John O'Hara mentioned a shop in Chicago where he got the padded snuff bottle envelopes, but I'm not sure if they have the boxes.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 11:04:13 pm »

Dear Brian,

Here we go, some images of the cases I got. Theyre huge and heavy. I got them for $150, together with some amazing snuff bottle literature. I consider it a bargain as one of the books that came together would cost almost just as much already. The shipping was a little pricey though, as with shipping anything from the US. I never regret it because I dont think Ill ever see anything like these cases anymore.

Best,
Samson

* 966AFBF3-3CAF-4F20-AF6F-9C6439F026A1.jpeg (145.7 KB, 1242x994 - viewed 89 times.)

* 5BADD76B-25F8-448A-8E90-6112D8A47C01.jpeg (238.51 KB, 1242x1166 - viewed 83 times.)

* FD4D25FA-9876-4A0D-9DD4-D35A1E170EC0.jpeg (161.76 KB, 1242x1004 - viewed 42 times.)

* 2ED53DB2-4F31-47F9-9626-0FD3E55EB177.jpeg (154.89 KB, 1242x1138 - viewed 112 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 11:46:02 pm »

Dear Samson,

Those are great. Congratulations!
In the Ted Adameck Estate auction [Chaits, LA], the last lot [485?] was
a chest of drawers with 12 padded drawers, each of which would hold
14 to 21 bottles [there were different sized padded compartments.
Best,
Joey

Dear Brian,

Yes, Jill Guo & Li Hui can order boxes for you.
They range from US$15 - US$35 /box, depending on quality of material,
type of clasp, etc.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 05:46:18 am »

Dear Samson,

Those are great. Congratulations!
In the Ted Adameck Estate auction [Chaits, LA], the last lot [485?] was
a chest of drawers with 12 padded drawers, each of which would hold
14 to 21 bottles [there were different sized padded compartments.
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Thanks! Yes, I noticed that chest of drawers. I think its unique as well. If I was in the US, I would have bought it without a second thought.

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 12:40:25 am »

Dear Samson,
    Very nice boxes! I have never seen any like those before.

Dear Joey,
    Yes, I would have liked to acquire a chest of drawers like that last lot.

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 02:57:26 am »

John O'Hara mentioned a shop in Chicago where he got the padded snuff bottle envelopes, but I'm not sure if they have the boxes.

Hi Brian,

If you want some soft padded envelopes (pouches) I may be able to help you there. Send me a PM if interested.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 09:33:44 am »

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the offer. At the moment I'm more interested in the boxes for storage, but I'll definitely let you know if I need some of the envelopes.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: