Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 09:01:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush, a bit of advertising

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush, a bit of advertising  (Read 5902 times)
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« on: September 20, 2019, 09:48:15 am »

Dear all,
In a recent thread our member Shea said that she bought some Kangxi and Ming porcelain.
She gave me the cue for something that I have not considered before.
I have not considered that a good part of the members here are also interested in Chinese art, not only on snuff bottles.
I sell, although not regularly, on eBay and since I am one of the very few reliable sellers there😊, let me take the opportunity to share my ID name on eBay, which is clayandbrush.
For that, I have modified my ID name here, which now is Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush.
Here is a video where, at 17 min from the beginning, PL Combs make a comment about myself (thank you Peter):

Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:04:39 pm »

You are one of the few sellers I follow on eBay Giovanni ..  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:13:46 am »

Dear Giovanni,

This is such a welfare you’re doing for people interested in Chinese Art like us! It enables people, especially the amateur and prospective collectors to buy art pieces with a peace of mind and learn to appreciate genuine works from the beginning of their collector experience!

From now on your site will be one of those I’ll visit on a regular basis to see if I can pick up a porcelain or two every now and then! Grin

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 04:41:24 pm »

Thank you dear George and Samson, much appreciated.
I did start selling on eBay a few years ago, mainly for resizing my collection. And then re-selling items that I find here either at flea markets, Antique Fairs and local Auction houses.
Unfortunately, I have found out that the market is a very strange place. I have never sold a fake item or made a misleading description, at least for my knowledge. Despite that, I have a really scarce success there. Low visibility, and only few bidders at the last seconds.
Instead, some seller has a great success despite their not honest behavior. Probably the two biggest and more successful eBay’ sellers of Chinese antiques, one from Canada and one from USA, are purposely mixing good and fake items. My conclusion is that most of the buyers have scarce knowledge and they goes to the biggest sellers, also because fooled by the fact that those sellers invariably have a lot of bids since the beginning. I am convinced that most of those biddings are shill bidding. There is no reason why one should bid thousands of dollars nine days before the end of the auction.
In conclusion, I have a few loyal customers, because they know that the item is exactly as described and because they buy for less money due to less competition. In fact some items went for less than what I paid for them.
I think that it will not last so long, it is everyday hard to find genuine items and the prices are crazy high.
Thanks again.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 10:42:33 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

Congratulations. The man was very complimentary.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:07:21 am »

Hi Giovanni,

Your comments as a seller are very interesting to me as I only ever buy items from eBay, never sell. Due to living in the middle of nowhere. I find eBay a reel boon when you live in the back of beyond. I buy both old and new items but never bid until the last 5 seconds! from my point of view what is the point of bidding earlier and pushing the price up! Also it stopes me getting over enthusiastic and paying more than I wanted to. Roll Eyes Grin

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
forestman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:46:14 am »

Dear Giovanni,

I may have mentioned it before but Catawiki is another auction site that seems to achieve good prices. They don't have too many snuff bottles and those they have are rarely of good quality but even bad ones sell for what seem like better prices than on ebay.

For better items their "experts" may give a guide price and items are grouped together, for example Chinese scholars items, Exclusive Asian items and they have these auctions each week.

If you have a look you would know if what their experts are giving as guide prices are accurate and may feel it is a good way of selling.

Regards, Adrian.
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 01:28:02 pm »

Thank you dear Jason.
Dear Adrian, I don’t like at all Katawiki. Ebay has many negative points, being the worst one that they “protect” only, always, in any case, the buyer. If a buyer buys something and he simply change idea, he can return the object and ebay force the seller to refund him completely including shipping costs. The seller has no way to expose his reason, he can only obey. That is not “protection”, that is complicity to not honest buyers IMO.
Catawiki’s worst point is just their “experts”. What a shame. They in many cases has a very low knowledge and they have the right to modify your description. I did try once to sell through them and it has been enough.
One of the item was a Ming kendi and they modified the description saying that it was late 19th century!
They make a lot of mistakes in dating the objects. What is strange is that one of them is a (she) well known dealer; that is not good for her reputation.
The real shame is the many, really many, terracotta horses and figurines listed every week as Tang to Ming, a big, quantity, all fakes. Most of them listed by a shop that is in front of the British Museum, called Pax Romana. And shame into that shame, is the fact that many of those items has a positive TL test, all them released by the Lab. Kotalla! It is simply incredible.
I have no problems in making names in public, because all what said is evident.
Conclusion, there are no safe places, one must know what he is buyig.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 07:25:22 pm »

Dear Giovanni,

One must know what he is buying - hard truth indeed!

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Jungle Jas

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 10:46:24 am »

Dear Samson,

How true your words and sentiment are. However buying on the internet is a different ball game to having the object in your hand. Mistakes are bound to be made occasionally.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: