Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
December 04, 2022, 03:55:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Worn & Obviously Well Loved

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worn & Obviously Well Loved  (Read 579 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: September 01, 2019, 06:38:12 pm »

All,

I finally have a bit of time to catch up on some cataloging of a few past snuff bottle purchases.  The attached bottle is one of my favorites not only for its dragon motif, but it has see a lot of use and was obviously well loved by its owner or owners.  Purchased in 2016 from an obscure auction house that deals in estate sales; Dennis Auction Service, Stewartsville, New Jersey, USA.  There is obvious past damage repair to the bottle's neck.  It was not much to look at from the auction photos due to layer of grime on the bottle surface, but it did clean up nicely.

The bottle surface is abraded in its entirety from years of use to create a silky matte finish.  A glossy overglaze only remains on the bottle's recessed base.

Incised Dragon Porcelain Snuff Bottle:
A cylindrical form bottle with dragons incised into the body depicting a dominant five clawed dragon amidst under-glazed copper red flames and being confronted by a subordinate incised dragon rising out of a sea of copper red waves.  Double cobalt blue rings around the base of the bottle.  Coil ring constructed body with glazed recessed base on a narrowed unglazed raised foot rim.  No mark.  Thick silver neck band (i.e., paktong/white copper) which is likely an old repair.  Height is 3.0 inches (7.6 cm).  Bottle had remains of old caked on snuff residue on the interior sides and bottle bottom when purchased.       

Period: 19th century.

Condition: Well-worn, used bottle, to the point that the exterior has a very pleasing silky tactile matted finish.

If anyone has any further insight or comments on this bottle, please feel free to add them here.

Enjoy, Charll

P.S. - present photos are from the auction house and I will try to provide better updated photos when I have the chance.   

* H1524-DennisAuction (2).jpg (43.67 KB, 446x995 - viewed 61 times.)

* H1524-DennisAuction(1).jpg (49.96 KB, 493x944 - viewed 60 times.)

* H1524-DennisAuction (3).jpg (19.73 KB, 750x528 - viewed 47 times.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:56:59 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Rube
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 07:53:13 pm »

Congratulations Charl,

Thanks for posting this, and sharing it's tactile delight.

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 10:22:13 pm »

Thanks for sharing Charll.

The tactile quality is one of the most important aspects of a snuff bottle after its visual appeal. And this one is certainly not short on that front!

All best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

George
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:59:31 am »

Hi Charll  ..

Wonderful bottle ! Thanks for sharing it as we have been pretty quiet lately.

Always enjoy the way you describe your bottles..  Very descriptive and interesting. 
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:48 am »

Hi Charll,

Congratulations! The love the bottleís past and present owners have given it have certainly given it a continuous life as an adorned piece taking a special place in a collection!

I like the bottle despite the repair. I like the fact that itís been used extensively to perform the purpose it was first created, to me, thatís truly something with a history and story! Such anhua pattern is also one of my favorites!

Enjoy it!

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 04:32:15 pm »

Dear Charll,

I agree with all of the above.
Looking forward to seeing you in Minneapolis, at some stage.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 01:14:51 am »

Dear Charll,
somehow, I missed this your post.
VERY nice. This your post makes me so happy, in seeing that there are other people out there that are appreciating the age and related consequences of an antique object instead of purely looking at provenance.
I believe that almost everybody here knows how I am criticizing this way of looking at antiques.
Believe me, if I have to choose between a furniture with a superb patina and a similar one that looks brand new, but with an excellent provenance, I will not have doubt. Nothing unnatural than something old that looks like new.
I have proof of totally useless provenances from famous collections. What means provenance? I am sure that almost everybody of us have a not valuable bottle in their collection, either because of the story related to its finding, or because gifted by the granddaughter, or whatever else matter of affection.
Then this makes that common bottle worth hundred times its real value if we are owners of a prestigious collection? I am sure that this happens. I have seen really common bottles in famous collections here and there, sold at stupid high prices.
Instead, when looking at Charllís bottle, we can only think at the many hands that have appreciated, own and handled it. That is fascinating, including the damages.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 04:55:19 pm »

While I'd not go as far as Giovanni, I basically agree with him.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: