Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 07:48:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

2019 ICSBS Convention September 17-21 in Minneapolis, Minnesota

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 ICSBS Convention September 17-21 in Minneapolis, Minnesota  (Read 362 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: August 01, 2019, 10:40:14 am »

All,

Life has been a bit hectic this last year.  My mother who lives in Arizona was yo-yoing in and out of the hospital at this last winter.  There has also been a change in my employment status from working for a company as an employee to being self-employed and trying to rebuild my consulting firm once again.  Thus, this has left little time or energy for the snuff bottle hobby or posting on the Forum.  Still been making a few purchases though and will have to post the bottles when I find the time. That say, I just want to let all those coming to the ICSBS convention in Minneapolis that Donna and I plan to attend.  Airfare is paid for and reservations are made! 

Donna and I will be arriving Monday afternoon on September 16th and will be staying over till Tuesday September 24th.  For all of you planning on being there, Donna and I are looking forward to meeting up with the Forum members who are attending. 

Please remind me here on who is attending so that I can make a mental note to tie in with each of you.  I know Joey is going be there for he rarely misses one, and he is on the agenda as a speaker!

Hope all is well in each of you and your respective families.

Bottle time here I come!!!!!  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 07:46:25 pm »

Dear Charll,

Yes, I plan to arrive on Tues. night late, after voting in our election and running to the airport to catch the 11:45am A"C flight to Toronto.
Then I've to wait 4 hrs., and fly to MSP. Luckily, I've beaucoup family in Toronto...
I land around 22:00, but will attend Wed.-Fri., giving 2 seminars on Fri., and go on the post-convention trip.
I fly out on Sun., to Toronto, and fly home to Israel on Wed.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:34:31 pm »

Charll,

Glad to hear that you'll be able to make it. This will be my first real ICSBS convention—if we don't count the one I walked around when I was a young teenager ages ago!—so everyone we'll be new to me apart from just a few people I met at the LA collector's meetup last year. I look forward to meeting you and Joey and everyone else on here that is in attendance.

Anyone have any advice for a newbie? I'll be attending the new members orientation on Tuesday, so that should be good. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the last night's gala. Just can't stay away that long. Leaving Friday afternoon.

I was perusing one of the society journal back issues and noticed that there used to be a members display contest. Is that something that still goes on? Not that I have any bottles yet that would stand a chance of winning though. Just curious.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Brian – A third generation collector with champagne tastes and a beer budget.

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 07:19:07 pm »

Brian,

Looking forward to meeting you in person.  Advice, hummm.  The dealers will have a number of bottles on display for sale and this is an opportunity to handle bottles at your leisure.  Make time to talk with the dealers when they are at their booths, this is best done early in the program and during the day.   I feel the evenings when the schedule says we are on our own is the the best time to be in the dealer room because fewer people are there, but there is a drawback.  This is a time that a lot of the dealers are out with friends on late dinner evenings and will not often return till the next morning.

Do not concern yourself about missing Friday night's gala.  This is often just a very good dinner and socialization event.  There is no longer a members display contest that I'm aware of, just a fundraising auction event of Friday after the member's meeting.  As members we are asked to bring an item for the auction. I often try bring a unique gift item from my local area, duplicate snuff bottle books, journals, and/or old auction catalogs for the book sale table.   Of course snuff bottle orientated items are preferred and appreciated for the auction, but since it is your initial convention do not get hung up on bring anything but yourself.  Come, enjoy, and get a feel for how these conventions operate first, then you can involve yourself to whatever level you wish on subsequent conventions.

Charll 

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 08:45:19 pm »

HI Charll,

Good advice, thank you. I actually do have a duplicate snuff bottle book or two I can bring to donate. I certainly don't mind doing my bit.

Brian

Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 04:36:00 am »

Dear Brian,

Charll's advice was very sound.
If you are planning to buy, look carefully at everything on offer, or just the type/s you are interested in buying, but please WAIT till we meet on Wed.  I'm happy to go around with you and help you weed out what is not worth buying, and also help you connect with dealers who might be a bit hesitant with someone they don't know.

DEFINITELY tell everyone who your grandfather was - he was very well liked and admired. In a bunch of easily excitable, loud-mouthed people [or was that only me? Nope there were a bunch of others}, his soft, sort of southern accented [or at least that's how I perceived it], calming, voice was welcomed.
He always injected a sense of good natured, caring, calm into the atmosphere [as opposed to people who were calm, but broadcast that they didn't give a hoot {I was going to use the F word, but in deference to him, I used a word he might have used].

I'm looking forward to the convention, and to hearing about an overwhelming Likud/Right Bloc victory.
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 10:56:22 am »

Hi Joey,

Thanks for the kind words about my grandfather. I shall endeavor to maintain the calm, caring, inscrutableness we Spaids are known for.  Grin

Also thanks for the offer to help with picking something out. I probably won't have a big budget, but I might try to get at least one bottle. I'd actually love your advice on what to do to grow my grandfather's collection. Directions to take, etc. The more I look at his collection the more I realize he was in love with all types of bottles. In fact, I'd say he did a pretty good job of having at least one of every type. Maybe you could help with figuring out gaps to fill, what to build on.

Is there a specific meeting Wed, or did you just mean when you eventually get to the show?

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 12:00:55 pm »

Dear Brian,

I don't believe that I ever saw his collection, so I don't know what gaps there are, if any.
I'm happy to advise re. bottles, based on quality, and I understand price is a factor.

But I've always found sleepers, in even the most 'important' dealers' displays.
One of the tricks is to figure out which bottles you want, and wait till Fri., when the dealers are closing up,
and would rather lower the price [within reason, of course], and make a sale, especially to a new collector.
If someone else spots it, you risk losing it. But I have found there was always another one that I wanted
that was NOT sold.

I get in on Tues., by 22:30-23:00, G-D Willing. I meant that  I will see you at whatever meeting.
Best,
Joey                     
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 02:48:07 pm »

Hi Joey,

I'll DM you some pictures I have of his collection. Not a lot of great detail, but I think you would get the gist. Or would you prefer I email you at the address in your forum profile?

I definitely appreciate the advice. You're my SBS (Snuff Bottle Sensei).  Grin

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 10:03:30 pm »

Dear Brian,

Sorry, I only saw this now.
 You can send to me here or at my gmail.com acct.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

snuffmke
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:30 pm »

HI Joey,

No worries. I've been super busy with the new semester starting up, so I haven't visited the forum in a while. I'll shoot you a couple of pics to your gmail account.

See you at the convention.

Brian
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: