Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 08:27:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

SNUFF BOTTLES AT MUSEUM OF EAST ASIAN ART, BATH

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SNUFF BOTTLES AT MUSEUM OF EAST ASIAN ART, BATH  (Read 773 times)
Joey
Private Boards

« on: July 09, 2019, 04:39:00 pm »

I'm sorry I'm late posting this -
Possibly a few of our UK members could have joined the 7 members of the UK Snuff Bottle Collectors Group, plus Per Kristensen of Norway and myself, from Israel, who visited the above museum on Sat.6.July, from 10:30am to 1:00pm.

We spent 90 min. looking at and handling, about 30 bottles, all a bequest to the museum from a [VERY] generous donor from the USA.

The founder, Brian McElney, a man in his late 80s, showed us the bottles, after an excruciatingly long 15 min. intro full of outdated and false information.

In deference to his age, physical weakness and hospitality, I controlled myself and made no comments. But then we spent 70 glorious minutes fondling and studying these gems.

I wanted 'only' 11 of the Nephrite Jades, which included at least 4 [possibly 5; I was seriously crazed at this point] with genuine Yuzhi [By Imperial Command Made] inscriptions! One even had Qianlong Yuzhi!
Some seriously fine bottles.

Incidentally, there were a few more bottles on public display - at least 5-7, including at least 3 more seriously fine Jades.

Four of us [Susan Page, the London dealer; Jerry Levine, of Warminster; Per Kristensen, Norway; and yours truly] had enjoyed a delicious meal at the Tap Room restaurant, the magnificent 18th C. English social venue built next to the Roman Baths, then recently rediscovered and rebuilt.
We'd met at the Roman Baths, and had a drink or two [the others all had a champagne; I had 2 Elderflower cordials!]. This took place on the Fri. eve prior to the museum visit.

After the museum visit on Sat. [Shabbat], we hosted Mr. McElney for lunch.
In retrospect, I regret not publicising the event prior.
My sincere apologies.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:20:43 am »

Joey,

Regardless of posting date, really appreciate the outline of the event and insight on the bottles at that museum location.  Sounds like you all had a good time and got to handle some wonderful bottles.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 11:52:51 am »

Dear Charll,

My pleasure.
But it would have been even more fun if Adrian and Luke and others from the UK, and possibly farther away [Per came from Norway, specially!], could have attended.

We were allowed to have a maximum of 12 guests, and were only 9.
There is a photo of  the 9 of us with Brian, the founder.
And there are 25 bottles on the table. He also produced a nice white jade plaque, about 70mm X 40mm X 10mm, out of his pocket.

Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

samsonlzj
Private Boards

Beautiful things deserve appreciation

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 07:19:38 pm »

Dear Joey,

Great to hear from you! Thank you for sharing your experience at the museum!

I wish I could be there to see some of the finest jade bottles as well! Reading your description of the bottles is like hearing about the recipe of some fine delicacies yet not being able to taste them... Roll Eyes Grin

By the way, I think I know which restaurant youíre talking about next to the Roman Bath. I probably dined there when I visited the city back in 2009 when I was in England as an exchange student. Was there a fountain where guests could get spring water to drink?

Best,
Samson
Report Spam   Logged

Samson - a young new collector desiring knowledge
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 02:50:58 am »

I wish I could be there to see some of the finest jade bottles as well! Reading your description of the bottles is like hearing about the recipe of some fine delicacies yet not being able to taste them... Roll Eyes Grin

Dear Samson,
My thoughts exactly!

Dear Joey,
I would love to see that group photo you mentioned. Aso, did anyone manage to take pictures of any of the bottles?

Best,
Tom
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:52:53 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 04:48:48 pm »

Dear Joey,
thank you. Like Tom, I hope that there will be some pictures for us to see.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:48 am »

Dear Samson, Tom, Giovanni, et al,

Yes, the Pump Room has the mineral water available for drinking, theoretically. I saw no person 'taking the waters', when I was there; just a delicious meal in a magnificent room.

I will ask Susan or Jerry to send me the photo/s in a way that enables me to send them to someone on the Forum, so that they can be posted.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 08:23:20 am »

Dear Joey,

Sounds like a great day out and some amazing bottles to look at. I had no idea there was a collection of SBs in Bath. Iíll certainly try and come along next time Smiley Work has an annoying habit of getting in the way recently. I have a few pics of yours and Susanís snuff bottles from our previous meeting but sadly none of the group. I still remember that amazing jade you acquired at the table Smiley

Best
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

joearp
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 12:41:22 pm »

Sounds wonderful!  I too look forward to seeing some photos.   Best to all! 
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 02:48:04 am »

Hello dear Joey,
thank you for your excellent report on your visit to Bath.
I too look forward to seeing some pictures.
In the meantime I looked at the Museum website, snuff bottles section, only few bottles are available to see online, they are superb.
Best
Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 04:56:05 pm »

Dear Luke,

I have almost 90 Jades, mainly Nephrite, but 5 or 6 Jadeite, here in Israel.
come for a visit and you can see the one I got from Susan again, and the others, as well...
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Luke
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 06:07:15 am »

Dear Joey,

Thanks for that lovely invitation and if/when I am in that part of the world I will certainly get in touch and see if itís possible to view such a fabulous treasure trove of jades! And hopefully we can all go for a nice meal somewhere. Iíd love to visit Israel at some point but right now me and the other half are eager to go to China. Never been and given the interest in snuff bottles and Chinese history, but also the amazing countryside over there we canít wait.  Hopefully near the end of this year. Incidentally, I just got hold of a white jade snuff bottle and will try and post to get some feedback on quality and age etc..  Grin

Best
Luke
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting snuff bottles since 2016

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 05:57:10 am »

Dear Luke,

I can well understand the draw of China. I'm drawn there as well.
Whenever you are coming in this direction, let me know.
Best to all,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: