Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Geoff shared this beautiful rutilated quartz crystal children playing bottle painted by Li Xiaojing 李晓静

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 23, 2020, 04:38:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Enameled Copper(?)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enameled Copper(?)  (Read 179 times)
DDbySnS

« on: July 01, 2019, 08:33:15 pm »

Hello Forum Members,
This bottle is one of my favorites. It is about 3 inches tall (7.62 cm) and just about an inch wide. I would like your opinions on age. I think it is from the Republic period but I'm not sure. It appears to have signs of age (which I know can be faked) and it seems to be well decorated (to me). In fact, I think it is beautiful. There is a Qianlong mark in a double square border on the base, which I believe to be apocryphal. The spoon is either bone or ivory, but definitely not plastic. All comments are appreciated.
Shea

* IMG_4789.jpg (108.45 KB, 640x638 - viewed 28 times.)

* IMG_4790.jpg (102 KB, 640x619 - viewed 23 times.)

* IMG_4791.jpg (72.22 KB, 363x640 - viewed 18 times.)

* IMG_4794.jpg (58.45 KB, 640x344 - viewed 23 times.)

* IMG_4795.jpg (56.13 KB, 640x604 - viewed 17 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Jungle Jas

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 03:33:00 pm »

Hi Shea, what lovely tiger bottle, I also collect tiger bottles as I was born in the year of the tiger going downhill, I've been going down hill ever since! Roll Eyes  The nose is slightly to sharp but who cares, I wish I had found it. Were did you buy it from?

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
DDbySnS

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:44:50 pm »

Hi Jason!
Thank you! I bought it at an online auction.
Report Spam   Logged
albert

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 03:51:36 pm »

Based on your pictures, I'm thinking that your bottle is modern, but I'm not an expert.
Anyway, nice item! Wink

Albert.
Report Spam   Logged
DDbySnS

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 09:26:56 pm »

Thanks Albert. I really like it. The painting is so detailed from the stripes on the tiger to the blades of grass.
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:23:07 am »

Hi Shea,

This appears to be a good quality modern bottle, the painting being executed by an enamel artist with some skill.

As with the new wave of modern enamel-on-glass bottles, I hope it won't be long before the artists begin signing their works, following the example of You Fenghua.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

DDbySnS

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 09:45:03 am »

Thank you for the additional information, Tom. I've been trying to find others like it, but no luck so far.
Report Spam   Logged
Jungle Jas

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 12:16:37 pm »

Shea,

If ever you want to get rid of it please let me know. I concur with the new diagnoses.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
DDbySnS

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 02:24:58 pm »

Hi Jas,

I'm kind of attached to this one. I will definitely keep you in mind if I ever come across a similar one.

A couple questions: when you more experienced collectors say "modern", what is the oldest that you would consider the bottle to be? Is it similar to "contemporary" when referring to art, which would place it no earlier than the 2nd quarter of the  20th century? I ask because there are definite signs of age such as signs of oxidation on the white enamel. If modern includes the last 20 to 40 years then I think that would probably be consistent with what I see. Also, the interior is enameled as well; if that helps with dating at all. Sorry for my ignorance but I'd like to narrow down the age as much as possible.

If there are books or online resources that may help, please let me know. I have an enameled porcelain one that also has an apocryphal mark and I would really like to put a date range on that one too.

Thanks everyone for responding!
Report Spam   Logged
DDbySnS

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 03:45:54 pm »

So, I found some very useful resources in the Research/Technical forum and just ordered The Collectors Book of Snuff Bottles. But I have what I know is a very novice question: what do you all mean by middle-period, end-middle-period, modern and so on?
Thanks,
Shea
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 07:22:51 pm »

Hi Shea,

This appears to be a good quality modern bottle, the painting being executed by an enamel artist with some skill.

As with the new wave of modern enamel-on-glass bottles, I hope it won't be long before the artists begin signing their works, following the example of You Fenghua.

Tom

Yes, yes and yes  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
DDbySnS

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 07:35:51 pm »

I've been researching all day, looking for books and other resources to learn more as well as examples of bottles like mine. I now see that the form of the bottle is unlike the older bottles. It is more rounded with a narrower neck and also larger.
Thank you all for your help!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: