Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2022, 08:57:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A fun day at the auction house !

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A fun day at the auction house !  (Read 1203 times)
Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 04:20:26 pm »

Guys,

To put Chen Runpu's bottles and their prices into context:
   In 1996, during the Beijing part of the 1996 ICSBS Beijing/Hong Kong convention, I bought a bottle of his, directly from him for US$3,000 [almost HK$24,000]. 

It is B-8 in "Worlds", and features a continuous winter landscape in the Song Dynasty Orthodox School landscape style.

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Jungle Jas

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2019, 09:07:35 am »

Hi Giovanni,

What a steal!!!!!!

Regards Jason.
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:02 pm »

Hi  All

Sorry  to  keep  harping  back  on this  subject,  but  I  really  cannot believe my  and  Geoff's  luck  at  the  recent  Paidegao auction in  HK   in  February  2019

Geoff's bottle  (which  he  has  published   below in this  string )  was a  real  beauty !   When I saw  it  up-front-and-personal at the  pre-auction  viewing  I  fell in love  with it  at once, and  would  have  happily  out-bid  Geoff   for  it  up to  twice  the  hammer  price   if  he  had been a  3rd  party  participant  and  thus  not a  fellow-collector friend   Grin

The beautiful blue  glass  Chen  Runpu  bottle  which  I  successfully  bid  for  in behalf  of  a  S'Pore  friend  was  equally  a   real  bargain ! Only  HK$5,000  hammer  price !

Compare  this   with  my  single  only  Chen Runpu  bottle ...  @  HK10,000   (which  I thought  at the  time  was a  bargain !)  See  attached  :  P120

And  again compare   with  what  Joey  wrote  below :

" In 1996, during the Beijing part of the 1996 ICSBS Beijing/Hong Kong convention, I bought a bottle of his, directly from him for US$3,000 [almost HK$24,000]. 

It is B-8 in "Worlds", and features a continuous winter landscape in the Song Dynasty Orthodox School landscape style."

NOTE  TO  JOEY :  Not  sure  what  you  mean  by  "Worlds" .  Please  would  you  clarify  and/or post  a  pic  of your  bottle  for  interest?

On the  other  hand  a  pair  of  Chen Runpu (=  Chen  Runzhen) bottles  from the  J.H. Leung  collection  (see  page  50  English  version of  "New  Look"  bottles  75 +  76)   which went  for  over  HK$15,000  for the  pair   at the  auction  looked  (literally) AWFUL   at the  pre-sale  viewing   and  I  would  not have  bid  even  a  cent  for them,  even  knowing they  were  vintage  "New  Look"  Chen  Runpu  bottles

But  what  really  shocked  - and  delighted -  me  was  my chance  purchase  of    the  delicate  little  Lu Danlin  bottle  for  ONLY  HK$1,500  !

It  is  so  exquisite  that  it  now forms  part  of  my  'core'  collection  of  pure  beautiful  Chinese  landscapes, even  though I never before  had the  slightest  interest  in the  Yue  School .

So the  lesson, perhaps, is  to  keep  an  eagle  eye  out  for  auctions, particularly minor  auctions,  and  look out for  bargains - if  possible  viewing the  bottles  first  before  bidding (because  on-line  photos  are often  deceiving, as  per the  Chen Runzhen/ Runpu  pair  I mentioned  above)

And I guess the  same  goes  for  e-bay  if  one  has a  good  eye  for  the  "real thing"  and  deals   with  reputable   sellers

I therefore  now  eat  "humble  pie"  when I  re-read  all the  postings  about  bargain bottles  snapped  up  on e-bay .....       Embarrassed   Embarrassed   Embarrassed

Cheers

Peter

* Chen Runpu @ Paidegao HK auction 2.2019.jpg (288.28 KB, 1402x1515 - viewed 20 times.)

* P120(A) Chen Runpu.jpg (1363.88 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 23 times.)

* P120(B) Chen Runpu.jpg (1374.25 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 21 times.)

* Chun Runzhen = Chun Runpu @ Paidegao HK auction 2.2019 .jpg (430.56 KB, 1700x1793 - viewed 24 times.)

* Lu Danlin (1986 Yue School) .jpg (101.64 KB, 364x685 - viewed 20 times.)

* Page 178-1.jpg (41.05 KB, 536x640 - viewed 19 times.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:27:34 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 05:41:28 am »

Dear Peter,

"Worlds" is my short form for "Worlds In A Bottle"....
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: