Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

"The Peter Bentley Snuff Bottle Collection"
and "introduction by Bill Patrick"

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 28, 2022, 10:22:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff bottle history

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff bottle history  (Read 111 times)
vdawg4

« on: February 17, 2019, 11:21:49 am »

Hello fellow collectors! I have a question concerning snuff bottle production. I read somewhere that inside painted snuff bottle production was greatly reduced in the 30s 40s and had to be revived in the late 40s after the art was almost lost. Is this true? I am new to collecting having just started last August.  Prices seem to be all over the place! Thanks for any input! Vernon
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 07:20:13 pm »

Dear Vernon,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes this is true. Think about China, especially north China, where the main centres of production of inside painted snuff bottles were located [Beijing and Shandong].

The Japanese Imperial Forces invaded Manchuria, bordering China on the north in Sept. 1931, and then China in July 1937.

This hurt business, as you may well imagine. The Japanese were sent packing in late 1945, but then there was a civil war between the Nationalist Guomintang and the Communists, till the Commies kicked out the Nationalists in 1949.

One great thing the Communists did, was to preserve artistry and artisanry among those who'd survived.
Best,
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

vdawg4

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 06:53:04 am »

Extremely interesting! I have noticed some real sloppy paint jobs on some enamel over brass bottles. Perhaps from same time period?
Thanks Joey, for enlightening me on this very interesting subject!  Vernon
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: