Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Geoff shared this beautiful rutilated quartz crystal children playing bottle painted by Li Xiaojing 李晓静

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 23, 2020, 06:09:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Cracked stopper help

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked stopper help  (Read 362 times)
Angela

« on: December 25, 2018, 01:50:58 pm »

Hi dear all and Merry Christmas!
I have just made a damage to my bottle: sadly while I was taking pictures of my overlay bottle, I dropped the stopper and the pearl now is cracked. Not broken at all: the pearl still exist, but it is cracked. I send picture.
What did not happen in so many years, for my distraction happened in a minute. I am very angry with myself.
In your opinion could I replace the little pearl, or it would be better to do nothing? Did I do a serious damage?
Thank you for your opinions.
Ciao - Angela

* astopper.jpg (108.27 KB, 811x737 - viewed 49 times.)

* astopper1.jpg (166.31 KB, 698x595 - viewed 48 times.)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:34:10 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 03:56:21 pm »

Dear Angela,
it is certainly a pity, but I would not worry too much about that damage. After all, your damage too will be part of his story.
This of course is my personal view. Many collectors are only collecting perfect pieces, which of course is very important under the monetary point of view. I am not so rigid about conditions.
I understand how you feel, I am a collector of Chinese ceramics and it did happen to me too to damage a piece while cleaning it. Feeling very bad in thinking that the piece has survived hundreds of years to end up damaged by myself.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

ileney

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 04:03:33 pm »

If the coral is undamaged, I donít see why you couldnít have it repaired with a new pearl. Itís hard for me to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the pearl was epoxied in place with some dark epoxy? If so, could you dig it out and just epoxy a new one in there or am I missing something? Is there some rule about making a repair in this type of situation? The stopper looks relatively newer to my uneducated eye and I am guessing isnít  original to the bottle anyway?
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 10:34:52 pm »

I cropped and resized your images Angela.. They were giant Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Angela

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 02:31:33 am »

I cropped and resized your images Angela.. They were giant Smiley
Thank you a lot - please accept my apologizes..
PS - Perhaps I have posted my discussion in the wrong section: If so, could you move to right section? Grazie..Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

George
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 03:22:30 am »

Was not a really big deal, but went ahead and moved it to here Angela... Smiley

No worries, all is well !
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Angela

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 03:30:37 am »

If the coral is undamaged, I donít see why you couldnít have it repaired with a new pearl. Itís hard for me to tell from the picture, but it almost looks like the pearl was epoxied in place with some dark epoxy? If so, could you dig it out and just epoxy a new one in there or am I missing something? Is there some rule about making a repair in this type of situation? The stopper looks relatively newer to my uneducated eye and I am guessing isnít  original to the bottle anyway?
Hello dear Ileney.
The coral is undamaged. Yes, it would be possible to repair removing the damaged pearl and replacing it with a new.
I wonder now if it'd be worth it or not, since the stopper has other defects: evident soldering, cork and spoon missing.
Besides, probably the stopper could be not of the same period of the bottle, I agree with you.
I have found another snuff very similar to mine, sold 3 years ago at an auction of Cambi Casa d'Aste, Genova - following link:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/42904387_a-color-overlay-glass-snuff-bottle-china-qing

This bottle has been sold with broken stopper, I didn't found other pictures but I understand that its broken cover is not in coral but other material: glass perhaps?
In conclusion, I think that the cover of my bottle could - perhaps - be made in glass or other - not coral+pearl. But I am totally inexperienced. What do you think about it? Thank you for your kind opinion. Angela.
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Angela

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 03:39:28 am »

Dear Angela,
it is certainly a pity, but I would not worry too much about that damage. After all, your damage too will be part of his story.
This of course is my personal view. Many collectors are only collecting perfect pieces, which of course is very important under the monetary point of view. I am not so rigid about conditions.
I understand how you feel, I am a collector of Chinese ceramics and it did happen to me too to damage a piece while cleaning it. Feeling very bad in thinking that the piece has survived hundreds of years to end up damaged by myself.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Ciao caro Giovanni! Thank you for your words of comfort but the fact stays that my inattention is unforgivable.
Luckily it has not happened the worse, I mean to hold the stopper and drop the snuff.
I am also thinking that, perhaps, as written from Ileney, the stopper is not the one of origin. I wonder now if it'd be worth it or not to repair, since there are other defects: evident soldering, cork and spoon missing. I think I will not repair - and next time I will be more careful. Grazie e buona giornata! Angela.
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Angela

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 03:40:43 am »

Was not a really big deal, but went ahead and moved it to here Angela... Smiley

No worries, all is well !
Thank you George!
Ciao..Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 10:26:57 am »

Dear Angela,
I have sent you a private message. You should find it by clicking on "My messages" at the top of the page.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 12:41:09 pm »

I have found another snuff very similar to mine, sold 3 years ago at an auction of Cambi Casa d'Aste, Genova - following link:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/42904387_a-color-overlay-glass-snuff-bottle-china-qing

Not similar... It is your bottle !  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Angela

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 09:29:01 am »

Dear Angela,
I have sent you a private message. You should find it by clicking on "My messages" at the top of the page.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Ciao caro Giovanni! thank you then I'm going to read it - Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Angela

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34:21 am »

Not similar... It is your bottle !  Smiley
Very very similar. The design of the flowers is different but I think that the two bottles were made by the same maker. Who knows who was ..I'd be curios
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

George
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:09 am »

Very very similar. The design of the flowers is different but I think that the two bottles were made by the same maker. Who knows who was ..I'd be curios

It is the same bottle..
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 03:40:52 pm »

Dear George,
the bottles are similar but not the same.
On the left is Angela's bottle, on the right the one sold at the Auction house.
I think that Angela is right in supposing that both bottles belong from the same artisan or workshop.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_1.jpg (111.91 KB, 723x603 - viewed 15 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 05:00:44 pm »

Thank you Giovanni...

I think am getting senile in my old age...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

My Snuff Bottle Journal
Angela

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 01:22:59 am »

Dear George,
the bottles are similar but not the same.
On the left is Angela's bottle, on the right the one sold at the Auction house.
I think that Angela is right in supposing that both bottles belong from the same artisan or workshop.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Ciao Giovanni, thank you for your kind intervention! - wishing you a happy new Year - Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Angela

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 01:26:53 am »

Thank you Giovanni...

I think am getting senile in my old age...  Undecided
Hello George! I take this opportunity to send you and all of the forum my warmest wishes for a happy New Year - Angela
Report Spam   Logged

Angela

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 03:19:05 pm »

And both bottles, besides being from the same workshop, are also 18th C., in my opinion.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: