Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 27, 2023, 07:05:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff Bottle with Landscape Theme

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff Bottle with Landscape Theme  (Read 12294 times)
richy88
Private Boards

« on: August 31, 2013, 03:51:34 am »

Hi All

I am starting a new thread on this topic as the previous thread has been renamed Ivory Snuff Bottle with Landscape Theme. The intention of this thread is to feature snuff bottles with landscape theme, irregardless of materials.

Let get started.

A carved porcelain bottle by Wang Bingrong of flattened pear shape carved with a continuous landscape scene in a mottled green and white glaze. The base incised with four characters 'Wang Bingrong Zuo', made by Wang Bingrong (王炳荣作).

This bottle is unusual as it still has the original matching stopper. Height without stopper: 78 mm.

Provenance: Raymond Li, a Hong Kong collector who has also written a few books on snuff bottles.

Published: The Art of Imitation In Chinese Snuff Bottles by Raymond Li, bottle number 23 on page 19, 1985.

* smt26.JPG (247 KB, 540x720 - viewed 74 times.)

* smt26a.JPG (243.95 KB, 540x720 - viewed 71 times.)

* smt26b.JPG (232.5 KB, 540x720 - viewed 79 times.)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:59:51 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

Richard from sunny Singapore
Evaluate Educate Entertain

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:39:19 am »

Wow,  Thank you for sharing Richard! This is so impressive!

I must have seen the bottle somewhere.  it looks so familiar..

Steven

Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:57:07 am »

Hi Steven

Thanks!

Yes, I have posted it before in the Carved Porcelain thread.

Regards.

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:37 pm »

Richard,

Wonderful thread and again a great bottle.  You must be in tune with Peter and I.  Over the last week and a half Peter and I have been discussing the creation of  a thread devoted to IPB landscapes.  I was trying to motivate Peter to share a number of his landscape bottles since he was going to be preparing for his lecture at the 2014 ICSBS convention.  However, family commitments on his end is currently taking much of his time and he indicated he would not have much time to devote to such a topic until late November/December.  Thus, I was going to go though my IPB landscapes over the next few weeks and get the thread started with some that I have yet to share.  It's my suggestion that we create a new thread for landscape bottles by material (ex, ivory landscapes, porcelain landscapes, gourd landscapes, lacquer landscapes, etc.) to make it easier to locate previously posted bottles and discussions by bottle material.  Just a thought.

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:45:23 am »

Hi Charll

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

However, I already noted the the topics (boards) in the Forum are divided by materials. Therefore, if I start a new thread for landscape theme by every different material, it seems to be a waste. Besides, I may only have just one landscape bottle of that material (of course, other members are encourage to chip in), so the number of topics will increase unnecessarily.

To me, the Forum is a valuable research and reference tool. Therefore, it is best to keep it well organised and lean for easy search. I will try not to start a new thread unless it serves it's purpose.

Therefore, the intention of this thread is to enable member to search quickly bottles of similar themes of different materials. To a certain extend, it serves as a cross reference to the existing system which is already organised by materials.

Just my observation.

Regards.

Richard
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:01:35 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:56:36 am »

An enameled Yixing pottery bottle of slender ovoid form, the stoneware with a painted and carved pale slip design. Painted on one side with a landscape of a lakeside pavilion with rock works, the reverse with flowers and rocks.

Height without stopper: 55 mm.

* sm424.JPG (220.65 KB, 540x720 - viewed 54 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:10 am »

Therefore, it is best to keep it well organized and lean for easy search. I will try not to start a new thread unless it serves it's purpose.

Richard, sounds reasonable to me.  Besides it would be nice to see the variety of materials on the single theme of landscapes.  Charll

P.S- Richard do you have any speculation as to the age/period of the Yixing bottle?  This is another of my favorite materials, even though I do not own one presently. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 01:59:39 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:55 am »

Dear Richard,
that is a good idea but it would be nice if space for discussion is allowed between  bottles. I think that by posting  a bottle and then immediately another one it will not let space for discussion, which always is a good learning experience.
I am impressed by your Wang Bingrong bottle. Am I wrong in supposing that the white glaze soffused of green spots is imitating jade? If so it is double interesting.
You have an incredible collection!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 05:21:06 am »

Dear Richard,
    I didn't understand that you wanted to start a thread of landscape subjects in all materials. If I had, I'd not have asked George to add 'Ivory' to the title.
    Now that I do know, I agree with Charll that it is a great idea. You might want to re-post the Ivory example in the Landscapes thread...
Thanks,
   Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 08:15:31 am »

Hi Richard,
    That is a wonderful Wang Bingrong bottle! Rare to have it's original stopper. And I also admire your Yixing pottery bottle. I only see slip design, no enamel. Is your description referring to the other side, or to the clear overall glaze of the stoneware?
    I do agree with Giovanni that we need some breathing space between new bottle posts, so as to have time to discuss. You are flooding us with too many amazing bottles!

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:34 am »

Hi All

Thank you for all your comments and compliments!

I will try to answer your questions accordingly.

Giovanni:

Yes, I believe the green glaze on the Wang Bingrong's porcelain is an intention to imitate jade. And yes, it will be good if all of us can exchange our views and mutually learn from each other's experience and expertise. I will refrain from posting too many bottles, too often (hey, does that sounds familiar!).

Joey:

No issue, I will repost the ivory landscape bottle again in the near future with some small addition.

Charll:

I will date the Yixing bottle probably late 19th century.

Tom:

You are right, the term 'enamel' is probably incorrect to describe the design of this Yixing bottle as the landscape is created by carving in low relief using a lighter colour clay over the brown background. As a result, it has a mute, matt effect whereas enamel tends to be glossy in appearance. I do have another Yixing bottle that is decorated with colourful enamel which I will post some time later. (later!) By the way, the other side is a design of flowers, also added using the same light colour clay.

It will also be great if you guys can starting posting your landscape bottles (regardless of material or inside painted) under this one single thread for all to share and discuss.

Regards.

Richard

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:22:27 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »

Just my two cents, and will leave it to those interested in a "landscape" only theme bottles, but I think it may become confusing..

I can add a whole new landscape only themed board, or maybe just a sub category under this current "Themes, Scenes, Scrolls, and Paintings" board for all bottle mediums if you like..

I think that each landsacpe bottle ( regardless of material ) deserves it's own seperate topic/thread though.. This way, that particular landscape theme/scene can be discussed and or compared to ancient landscape scrolls/paintings/fans, etc..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:47:20 am »

Hi George

Thank you for your suggestion.

However, I am not in favour of the multiple threads idea. As mentioned in my previous post, the purpose of this thread is to create a central thread for this theme so that information can be obtained easily.

Being a database manager by training, I found that information is most useful if it is organised and can be easily searched, retrieved and cross referenced.

Take for example, the thread that I started, "A Book A Day" serves as a central database for all my snuff bottle books. I can easily search for any of my titles in one single thread.

In any case, I will create a new poll and let the members decide.

Just my feedback.

Regards.

Richard
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 05:23:56 am by richy88 » Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 12:01:27 am »

A Yixing pottery bottle of elongated hexagonal shape, the stoneware designed with a similar landscape scene on both sides. Painted on each side with a landscape of a lakeside pavilion under a tree with a boat in the distance in deep brown glaze on a light chocolate brown body.

Height without stopper: 50 mm.

* sm450a.JPG (230.61 KB, 540x720 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 12:25:50 am »

Hi Richard,

When it comes to Yixing pottery, this type is my favourite, although I also like the ones decorated with cream coloured slip.  A very elegant bottle!

Do you have a shot of the other side?

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 12:31:44 am »

Thanks Tom!

Here you go.

Enjoy!

Richard

* sm450.JPG (229.56 KB, 540x720 - viewed 35 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 12:34:17 am »

Thanks Richard!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Hooked since 1971

OIB
Private Boards

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 04:05:43 am »

here is a glass overlay landscape in my collection.

* 145.JPG (82.72 KB, 478x640 - viewed 38 times.)

* 146.JPG (82.71 KB, 478x640 - viewed 32 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

richy88
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:46 am »

Hi Inn Bok

Nice carving.

Thanks for sharing!

Richard
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰