About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
May 27, 2024, 08:44:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Endoscope Magnifier

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Endoscope Magnifier  (Read 2011 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: September 14, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »

There are a few differnt models..

Apparently these will take still pics and video..

Thinking about getting one.. I bet it would be just right for close up examination.

Has anyone seen or used something similar ?

eBay link.....

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »

Hi George,

I doubt it will do any good job, I assume the lens will be very cheap, if the lens is cheap ,it will never take good pic or video. I would guess its just a good toy.Smiley

But still curious if we can find any video taken by it.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:16:04 pm »

I will ask the seller for some examples, and also check around online to see what others are saying about these..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:01:04 am »

Dear George,
I am not yet familiar with the many sections of the board, have to spend a bit more of time to familiarize with it. I happened on this your topic by accident. I suggest you to not buy that microscope. Even if it could cost one buck, it is one buck thrown out.  The quality of the image is very low on these cheap microscopes, and more important the magnification range is totally useless for the intended use. For close inspection of the objects of our interest, 4 to 10 times enlargement is the best, 20 times being the absolute maximum.
As the enlargement increase, the depth field of focus decrease and you practically have difficulty to inspect the object. A picture in such conditions is almost illegible because you don’t see what is in front and behind the focus plane.
What is really useful to have is a stereo microscope, although this is mainly useful for your own, not so much for the pictures. The stereo vision is possible because you are seeing with both eyes, while the camera is “seeing” with one eye only so the depth of focus field is lower. But with the stereo microscope you can appreciate a lot of things. With stereo microscope, the view is easy and the object is placed far away from the lens compared to standard microscopes. Times ago they were expensive, now not so much and worth the money in my opinion. Remember that it is not necessary to reach high magnification.
The pictures that I did post recently taken through the microscope has been made by simply keeping by hand the camera (a standard compact camera) against the eyepiece of the microscope.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:08:50 am »

The pictures that I did post recently taken through the microscope has been made by simply keeping by hand the camera (a standard compact camera) against the eyepiece of the microscope.
Kind regards
Giovanni

Thanks Giovanni, and Steven..

Your right Giovannie about simply holding the camera really close using the macro setting.. I do get real nice blown up images that way..  Works great, and am able to get nice detailing.  Think I was over thinking, or trying to do something that is really not necessary above and beyone what my camera is already perfectly capable of doing.

I did find the possibility of doing micro video interesting though..

Any hooo... Thanks to both of you.. Will KISS on this subject !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 09:35:47 am »

Giovanni,
   It looked interesting when George brought it up, but after your explanation, I'll save my money.
Thanks!
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 10:12:19 am »

Hi  All

use  3   kinds  of  magnifying  glasses :

1).   A  big  one  with internal  illumination   which  is   normally  used  in   electronics  work  for     precision soldering
       or  for  other  precision   jobs  ( e.g.   repairing watches) 

I  recall the  magnification is   about   8 x

It's  really great  for  viewing  bottles  because the  lens  is  big  enough   to   use both  eyes, and  one can see
       the  whole  bottle  in  the  field  of  vision

Cost  in China  is  about  US$40

2). A  simple   hand-held  magnifying glass  :  also   about  8 x

3).  A  small   32 x  high power    magnifier   which has   a  built-in light

I normally  carry    2 )  and  3)  with me   all the  time

For  detailed pics  a  simple   pocket  camera with a   good  macro  lens  option  is  all  you  need :  photo at  max  resolution  (  about  3 MB  pic)  then  blow  it  up on a  computer

Cheers

Peter

* CC Magnifying Glasses (1).JPG (252.23 KB, 797x768 - viewed 21 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 05:33:17 pm »

Dear George,
what a coincidence, today we had an electronic fair here in my town, and I saw exactly that microscope (why do they call it endoscope? I have a sort of endoscope, will show some day). I had a look at it, and I confirm that it is a bit more sophisticated than a toy. Much better the camera alone, as said also by Peter.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:44:22 pm »

I found this description for endoscope ..

Not sure why they call the one I shared a endoscope, because don't believe it examines internally..

Now that I have learned what an endoscope is, starting to wonder if they might do will for examining the interior of a bottle..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 04:57:08 am »

Hi All

Normally  and  endoscope is  what  George   describes  :  it's  used  to examine  medically  inside the  body  ( even   with  blood  veins  because  some  endoscopes  can be  so  small)

Medical  endoscopes   are  VERY  expensive because  they  are so small !!!!!!!!!!!

But   if there  are     larger/ cheaper endoscopes  they  could be used to  look  inside  a  bottle  :  if  that's  really  an important   question  (  it  might be  in case  of  photo-film  assisted/ fake bottles, but they can  be  spotted   easily from  outside)

Cheers
Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 10:01:53 am »

Dear George and Peter,
my question (Why do they call it endoscope?) was just for that reason, why they call it endoscope if it has nothing to do with endoscopes due to its size? Unless it is intended to look inside a barrel, haha.
I have indeed a sort of endoscope that I use to look inside vases and it is also suitable for bottles, but not all them. I have already said that I am a technician and because of my love for everything old, I have a great interest for old technologies. Sometimes it is impressive how old technologies overcome problems that today are more easily done thanks to the electronic. When I find some old instrument or device at flea markets I buy them if they are interesting.
The pictures below show my borescope, which I found years ago at a flea market. What is it? The first picture show the eyepiece where you look through. After it there is the stem of the borescope, which has a diameter of only 5mm and a length of 21 cm. In the second picture you see the end of the borescope, where at the very tip there is a lamp and the small circle on the right side of the imge, within the indented space, is the objective. So, basically it does the same job of an optic-fiber endoscope, the one that is used for gastroscopy. But how indeed works the borescope? It is shown in the last picture, a drawing where you can see that thanks to a series of small lens it literally "transfer" the image from the objective to the eyepiece. All this in a diameter of only 5 mm, and you must consider that tehre are also the wiring of the lamp too in that! Incredible, hein? The only problem is that if compared with an optic fiber endoscope, this one is not lexible, it is rigid.
It is thanks to it that I have seen that the enamel on metal bottle that I did post yesterday is enameled also inside.
Kind regards
Giovanni

* IMG_6.jpg (47.33 KB, 791x637 - viewed 22 times.)

* IMG_4.jpg (45.03 KB, 798x583 - viewed 21 times.)

* Borescope.JPG (16.89 KB, 606x271 - viewed 24 times.)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 10:04:30 am by Fiveroosters » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 11:27:04 pm »

But how indeed works the borescope? It is shown in the last picture, a drawing where you can see that thanks to a series of small lens it literally "transfer" the image from the objective to the eyepiece.

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for sharing your 'antique' borescope with us. I was amazed to see that the 5mm tube is filled with so many small lenses. The instrument itself reminded me of a "modelscope", an instrument used by architects. In order to properly view an architectural scale model of a project (scale anything from 1:200 to 1:5000) it is necessary to get one's eye down to the level and scale of the model. This is only really possible by looking at it through a modelscope. The eye-piece has an adaptor so it can be attached to the lens of a camera to take pictures as if from a miniature camera inside the model. The instrument itself must have been costly, because they were always kept in a special case, which was locked away in a drawer in the principal's office!   

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 02:04:48 am »

Dear Tom,
never heard about it, thank you, interesting to know. You can see how useful is this exchange of information/experience.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:16 am »

Hi Giovanni,

One of the things that makes the forum so interesting is that we all have different working background. My observations are because of my work experience with architects. Perhaps another forum member is a veterinary doctor, and can give some colourful story of his experience with a REAL endoscope.  Grin

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:46:11 am »

Tom & Giovanni,
   It is definitely true - all of us, sharing knowledge from different angles, enable people to  advance knowledge together.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Lotus Flower
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 10:52:59 am »

Hi George. I own one of these. They are excellent. When I first got it I spent hours sticking it in my ear, up my nose, in my hair etc. Once I got over my childish curiosity I used it for reading hallmarks on silver and quickly realised what a great tool (and toy) it is!

James
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 12:50:30 pm »

Hi George. I own one of these.

How small is the camera on yours James ?  The smallest I am finding is in the 5 mm range..  Even that seems like it would be a tight, or not fit at all into most bottles. 

It also seems like could get away with simply a camera, cable, and USB plug..  Don't see the need to purchase the more expensive units with the LCD display.  As our monitor along with the software would do the trick just fine.

I am still searching through the USB type, looking for the smallest ( width ) camera.

I  can see myself going through much the same play time as you though !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Lotus Flower
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »

Mine is 10mm. Never even thought to put it inside a snuff bottle (not that it would fit). Great idea though. For that I guess you would have to spend a lot of money and buy a fibre-optic type camera (a thin bendy one, think I saw one in a James Bond movie Smiley ). Have you looked at spy equipment, haha?
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 01:19:39 pm »

Dear James,
it is not clear to me what you are talking about. Is it the same microscope shown by George in the first post? You are talking about a microscope having 10 mm of diameter. That one is much bigger! I am sure what I have seen in the electronic fair is the same and the quality was very low. A picture stored by that device is not far comparable with the one of an average compact camera.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Lotus Flower
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

Hi Giovanni. Mine is more like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Endoscope-IP66-Waterproof-Inspection-Wire-Scope-10mm-CAM-Camera-Borescope-2M-/110918433183

My dad bought me mine as a present so i'm not exactly sure how expensive it was but its good quality (better than this ebay one)

It doesn't have an LCD screen, they seem a bit over the top (as George says)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: