Click On Globe To View Forum Visitors From Around The World

About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
February 04, 2023, 03:37:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Snuff Bottles With Integrated Dishes

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snuff Bottles With Integrated Dishes  (Read 294 times)
George
Administrator

« on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:35 pm »

After reading the Spring 2012 journal with an article titled, " New Perspectives On Snuff Bottles With Integral Dishes Part ll, this particular bottle described as glass ( although not so sure ) really caught my eye..

It was very disappointing to have been outbid the final moments of the auction.. Have had my eye out for a bottle like this since reading the article..

The article written by Ka Bo Tsang .

Talks about and gives several photo examples of bottles from many different material mediums that integrate concave and sometimes flat "dish" areas  that are believed to have been designed with the intent of laying snuff from the spoon into the dished area.

The steps would have been to dump the snuff from the spoon onto the concave dish and then the user would pick up a pinch between the fingers.

Apparently these unadorned panels on snuff bottles, be they flat, concave or convex, were meant to simulate mirrors. Since the mirror when used as a charm has been ubiquitous in Chinese culture.

So now, I will patiently wait for another to show up at auction some day !

Like I mentioned.. The concept can be found on many different material mediums..

Thought it best not to copy pics from the journal, but here are a couple metal examples to share from Bob Stevens book..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: