About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:26:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A wood bottle

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A wood bottle  (Read 4312 times)
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 10:59:07 am »

The material appears to be boxwood. It is a dense, close-grained wood, and I imagine much trickier to carve than ivory. My hunch (and it is only a hunch) is that it was done by an ivory carver, possibly as a 'master' or 'trial run' for an ivory bottle that was never executed. Or maybe one or two ivory ones were produced 'to order', and now sit in someone's collection. That would explain why they haven't surfaced on the open market.

I have to add something about the circumstances under which I purchased this bottle. It came from a Hong Kong shop that I had previously bought bottles from several times (one that John Ault also used). On this occasion I had picked a couple of jade bottles when I spotted it sitting on one of his back shelves, behind some glass bottles. It may have been my imagination, but he appeared a bit reluctant to show it to me. With a little persistence on my part he brought it to the counter. When I asked the price, he at first demurred, but eventually named a price. It was high, and I understood that he understood I would think it high, and so pass it by. But I just loved the workmanship - I had never seen anything like it - so accepted his price immediately, without any bargaining. After that he couldn't refuse it to me.

I have never for one moment regretted the cost. It is quite unique. When I showed it to Hugh Moss, even he showed vague signs of excitement.

Tom  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:53:19 am by Wattana » Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: