About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 15, 2024, 11:39:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A wood bottle

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A wood bottle  (Read 4376 times)
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« on: July 14, 2012, 05:55:46 am »

Tom,
   Are you saying that a totally, unabashedly modern wooden bottle would fetch as much as a genuine old, albeit slightly damaged 18th or 19th C. original? Sorry, I disagree. Most collectors would pay less than US$100 for a modern wooden snuff bottle; for a genuine 18th C. wooden example, in very good condition US$5-6 K; in damaged condition, maybe US$1-2K, possibly a bit more. That is 10 to 20 times the price! Sorry, I must stick to my guns, as well. But we won't fall out over it.  Wink

And I agree with Steven - similar but different tools are used in each discipline; but, who says that you are not partially correct? Why could wood carvers not be commissioned to do examples in a cheaper wood, not in agilawood (whatever that is) or Zhitan or whatever, and that used as an example for hardstone carvers? There may well be some merit in that theory.

Of course, we are thinking like cost-effective westerners; possibly in the Palace Workshops (and the design here, IS an Imperial design), there was no need to be cost-effective. Concepts of purity surrounding the Son of Heaven, may well have held much stronger sway (think of the efforts Ultra-Orthodox Jews go to, in their need to preserve food purity, or Kashrut, even though it is definitely NOT cost-effective). In other cultures, or even in other castes in the same culture, different priorities will have stronger or lesser influence.

But, everyone, don't stop the theories coming in! They make us think harder, always a good thing. A great Rabbi I once studied with said that there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers, sometimes.

Shabbat Shalom,
 Joey
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:02:45 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: