About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 16, 2024, 02:38:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

The Cloth Bag Monk (Budai Monk)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Cloth Bag Monk (Budai Monk)  (Read 2229 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »

I do not normally go for the bone type bottles, but this one did catch my eye, and was pretty cheap  Wink ..

The Cloth Bag Monk (Budai Monk) with prayer beads.

Budai, pronounced Hotei in Japanese, is a Chinese folkloric deity. His name means "Cloth Sack," and comes from the bag that he is conventionally depicted as carrying. He is usually identified with (or as an incarnation of) Maitreya Buddha, so much so that the Budai image is one of the main forms in which Maitreya Buddha is depicted in East Asia. He is almost always shown smiling or laughing, hence his nickname in Chinese, the Laughing Buddha.

Budai is traditionally depicted as a fat bald man wearing a robe and wearing or otherwise carrying prayer beads. He carries his few possessions in a cloth sack, being poor but content. He is often depicted entertaining or being followed by adoring children. His figure appears throughout Chinese culture as a representation of contentment. His image graces many temples, restaurants, amulets, and businesses.

Not sure what the script on the reverse reads.. Most likely a poem ?

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:23:58 pm »

Hi Goerge,

Its a poem on the other side, but the calligraphy is really really bad, stay away from it, save your money, It doesn't have much value to collect.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 04:30:53 pm »

It is already on my shelf  Cheesy

I know there is no value to it.. It was very cheap, and just sort of caught my eye..

Just wanted to share what I learned about this Budai Monk ..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 05:58:49 pm »

George,
   I thought 'Hotei' was Chinese. Are you sure it is Japanese?
On another issue, I found an extra copy of the Ma bio by his grandson, and  will post it to you tomorrow. Enjoy!
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »

George,
   I thought 'Hotei' was Chinese. Are you sure it is Japanese?

On another issue, I found an extra copy of the Ma bio by his grandson, and  will post it to you tomorrow. Enjoy!
Joey

That is what I found online..., but no.. I can not be positive, as I do not speak either Chinese or Japanese.

I tried punching it into a translator, but not working out.

As for the Ma bio...  FANTASTIC !!!!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
KAZ

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:40 pm »

Joey,

"Hotei" is Japanese and "Budai" is Chinese. Hotei is one among Seven Deities of Good Fortune and very popular in Japan.

Cheers
Misu

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:00 am »

Thanks, Kaz, I learned something today (always a good thing). Thanks George, for being the source of the learning.
I'm watching an auction online (I hope to bid on 5 lots, over the phone) while I'm simultaneously dealing with email.
Oh, they just called. I'm off. Bye. I'll send the Ma book after I finish the bidding this aft.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:33 am »

I'm watching an auction online (I hope to bid on 5 lots, over the phone) while I'm simultaneously dealing with email.
Oh, they just called. I'm off.

Good luck !!!
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:44 am »

Thanks, George. So far I've NOT got the lots I bid on, which I do consider lucky. I hope I DO get the next 3 lots I'm bidding on, though.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »

Any lucky Joey?

Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 03:51:06 am »

George, Steven, et al,
  Yes, G-D Gave me the lot I most wanted: a pair of sterling silver chamber candlesticks (short stem, very wide base to catch melted wax, finger loop to carry it, one still has the 'snuffer' , 420 grams total weight, London 1784 by John Schofield) from the Mount Congreve, Kilmeadan, County Waterford  auction (sale by Mealy's Auctions, lot 331), for a bargain price, 550 + commission & VAT (usually 20% total, but here 25%, possibly because Christie's London is involved.).
  Today I'm bidding on two more lots: a Chinese embroidery, a fragment from a mid-late 19 C. dragon robe, with small dragons, waves, etc.; and three modern iron red enamel on white Chinese porcelain vases with trellis & floral design, converted into lamps. They'll look good in my home, if I get them. The embroidery, I want to use as part of future displays of my show "In Search of a Dragon".
  Now I have to figure out how to collect my treasures (do I drive down to Kilmeadan, Co.Waterford, 80 min. away; or do I wait a day, and collect the stuff at the auction house offices in Castlecomer, Co.Kilkenny, 40 min. drive away? If the latter, I can also collect a few orchids from the garden centre near them - they have the nicest orchids nearby. Of course, I can also get fine orchids in New Ross, Co. Wexford, about 1/2 the way to Kilmeadan... decisions, decisions ;-)
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:43:49 am »

Congrats Joey!

I saw the pair of chamber candlesticks, its very charming, I was amazed that those things are still shiny like new after serveral hundred years.Smiley

Good luck for today's hunting.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:58:38 pm »

Steven, Thank you.
     Actually, the candlesticks have probably been lightly polished, enough to remove the tarnish, but leave the patina, before the auction. The ended up quite reasonable for what they are: maker-stamped, hallmarked, and date-stamped: John Schofield (maker, well-known London silversmith), rampant lion (Sterling silver), head of George III (tax stamp), and the letter for 1784). And the price (US$1.80/gram for 420 grams) was very cheap; I expected the pair to fetch US$4-5/gram, and did not expect to get them. I was quite excited to win.
     I got nothing else today in the auction, but that's fine - I bought an antique French cut crystal and brass single light chandelier in Frome (Wiltshire or Somerset) over the phone. I saw it there a few weeks ago, and fell in love with it. It was 165 UK sterling (ħUS$250). The shop will pack it well; I'll get it brought to my cousins in Oxford; and they'll bring it in their car in 12 days. I'm going to use it to replace the present 'Eternal Light' in front of the Ark in my little Synagogue at home in Ireland. The present one was a stop-gap measure (though it was up 17 years!), and will be retired as soon as my new light arrives.
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: