About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:52:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Is it crazy to buy a cracked bottle ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it crazy to buy a cracked bottle ?  (Read 2438 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: March 24, 2011, 02:13:41 pm »

I like the painting scene on this bottle, but it is pretty badly cracked.

Is a guy crazy to add a cracked bottle like this to a collection ?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:00:48 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:00:54 pm »

Grin not as crazy as the people who bought the other bottles you posted here haha .... kidding George Wink

No, seriously, to me it depends if I have a similar example of it or not.  If it is intact I might still get it.  In factI have a worse cracked one of a similar theme.  It all depends how crazy we all are at a particular time, you see...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 10:32:56 pm »

Grin not as crazy as the people who bought the other bottles you posted here haha .... kidding George Wink

Too funny !

It's just that I like the shape of the bottle, as well as the painting scene, and I do not see any chunks/chips where it is cracked either.

I am going to be doing some crack repair experimenting on some misc cracked and chipped glass. If it goes well, I am going to give it a whirl on a cracked or chipped bottle and see how it looks afterwards.

The cracks would always be visible on the inside of the bottle, but with a little luck the outside will be much nicer.. 

Thanks Pat  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:35:38 pm »

Wooow.. that technique I hope you will tell/show/teach us! I am very curious as I have a few cracked bottles too.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:05:20 am »

You bet I will Pat  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:06 pm »

Of course, as always may the best man win !  Cheesy

But if I don't win this one, and one of you end up winning it, I would like to know...

Been looking for a cracked bottle to use for a repairing experiment.. This one would be a good candidate.. Even though the cracks are numerous, they are not over any part of the painting..

So... would like to offer to anyone who might end up winning this one the opportunity to foward it on to me to experiment on.

No cost to you.. Of course there is a chance that the experiment will not work, but if it does, then the result will be a little better a bottle for your collection...

Will be sharing the process with you guys either way so you can also give it a whirl on your own bottles.

It's actually not that bad of a bottle the way it is.. Cracks and all.. So would still be a great addition to any collection as is !

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 06:08:13 pm »

Well, lucked out and ended up getting this one !

Looking forward to trying my crack repairing experiment !  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »

Nice one George  Wink look forward to hearing your experience with the experiment. 
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:44:27 am »

Just a shame it is so cracked up Sad

What surprises me is that some of these just don't fall apart. They seem to really take a licking !

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:28:11 am by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:31 pm »

Hi Peter,

I would go for bottle if I like it no matter its cracked or not, specially for those antique bottles, some of them are one of a kind ,its can not be reproducted by the artist anyway, I guess its also a way to show our appreciation to the artist.

I really like the Mong zi shou's bottle.....

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:20:22 pm »

I don't have one by Meng Tzi shou ... So yes, cracked up and all, am going for it.. Just to have an example in my collection.

Pretty sure it is way to damaged to consider repairing like am going to do with the last one purchased.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:39:44 pm »

Go for it.... and good luck! lots of people are watching the bottle, I guess it won't end up low...
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 03:39:43 pm »

Ya, a crap load of people are watching it..

I am not going to get crazy on the bidding with this one, but am going to jump in for sure..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 11:57:50 pm »

Where is this one listed?  Thanks...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 12:07:29 am »

Here ya go Pat...

eBay link
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 12:08:20 am »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300629206487?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_6872wt_905
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 01:10:05 am »

Thanks Guys!

What a shame.. such a beautiful bottle.   This occurs a lot to snuff bottles.  I have done searches on this but have not come up with anything other than 'stress' in the glass. Occurs also in rock crystal by the way, but that seems more normal or expected given its nature.  I was once told that especially painted glass bottles have this and that it is related to the chemicals in the paint... I don't know if that makes any sense, sounds plausible, but then again, not really sure how much chemical was in the old pigment based paints.
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:48:22 am »

Thanks Guys!

What a shame.. such a beautiful bottle.   This occurs a lot to snuff bottles.  I have done searches on this but have not come up with anything other than 'stress' in the glass. Occurs also in rock crystal by the way, but that seems more normal or expected given its nature.  I was once told that especially painted glass bottles have this and that it is related to the chemicals in the paint... I don't know if that makes any sense, sounds plausible, but then again, not really sure how much chemical was in the old pigment based paints.

It really is a shame for sure..

I would think it a bit unlikely that the paint would cause cracking, but then again..... suppose anything is possible.

I do believe that the cracking often seen on the bottom of bottles are associated with aging or stress related..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

I am just curious that how to judge those cracked or chipped bottle's value, we can barely see any those bottles on auction except ebay.
I would guess there should be a kind of  formula to calculate the values compared to the perfect condition ones, I still remember there is a cracked Ye zhongsan bottles ended up at around $2000.00 on ebay long time ago( not sure if you guys noticed that).

Would be interesting to know if there is kind of formula...

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:34 pm »

I can only speak for myself Steven..

The damage to a bottle can be overlooked when compared the rarity of the artist, and or subject matter..

In the case of this Meng Tzi shou bottle.. I do not have, and may likely never be able to afford a perfect example of his. So for me, just having an example of this artist in my collection would be great !

My formula sometimes just equates to "having champagne taste on a beer budget"   Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: