About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:35:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

A Beautiful Jade Bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Beautiful Jade Bottle  (Read 1542 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: July 01, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

I think this one moves up to the top of my all time favorite jade bottles list !

Closed out at acution today for 2300.00 US..

Love the traditional shape... Beautifully carved !

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 06:21:24 am by George » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:32 am »

Very nice one indeed....    It is just hard to know about these hard stone bottles.   Their prices amaze me.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:48:00 am »

Joey and Tom,

Can you guys have some comments on this one.

I was actually bidding on this one, and think the carve is wonderful, material is very good too, $2300 for this one is a bargain. I was just not ready to pay that much.

Steven

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:44 am »

Steven,

There is only one Joey, but which Tom was that message aimed at?  Smiley

Tom (Wattana)
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:00:05 am »

Hi Tom,

I mean you, Tom( Wattana).... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

DCist
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:04:07 am »

Steve and George,

It appears to me to be carved in the Moghul style, which was popular in the 18th century, my guess is late 18 century to first quarter of the 19th century.  Others are more qualified to assess the bottle than me. However, I agree that it is very beautiful!

Ted
Report Spam   Logged
Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 10:05:02 am »

Hi George and Steven,

Dating stone bottles is always problematic. In many cases there is simply not enough data to reach a confident conclusion. In this particular case we only have these 3 photos to go on, so I will try and make an educated guess!

The decorative style of the foliage (are they artemisia leaves?) covering the whole body, including the base, is, as Ted says, reminiscent of the Moghul style, which was popular at court in the second half of the 18th C. These bottles are typically made from flawless white nephrite jade. While the russet markings of this example are attractive, the quality of the material is not quite up to the benchmark for an Imperial snuff bottle, so it was possibly made slightly later by someone trying to emulate a court piece. Looking at shape alone, the overall form of the bottle - its flattened tapering body, flared neck, wide flat lip and relatively small mouth - could place this bottle anywhere from the late 18th C to mid 19th C, or even a little later.

I realize this leaves the window wide open! If one could check the degree of interior hollowing that would narrow the range, as would a detailed examination of the carving. For instance, it should be extremely well hollow, and the finishing of the spaces between the carved leaves ought to be absolutely smooth and even, as if the bottle was a plain one with the leaf decoration stuck on top. These features might place it in the period 1770-1850. If there are any signs of haste or lack of attention in the lapidary's work, the bottle is likely to be from the second half of the 19 C., or even a good modern copy

I welcome anyone else's views on this.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 07:46:25 am »

I just found this now (in a manic search for peace from guests who are driving me batty! I was not this way, when Jeren and Donna Stoneman, and Donna's mom Joanne, visited me in Israel... my cousins are soooo irritating!).
The bottle indeed looks Moghul-style, but I think it is a modern copy, NOT 18th or 19th C. 'original'. It looks too good. I've said this before (ad nauseum!); the modern painters (in Blue & White), and carvers (in porcelain, glass, and hardstone) try TOO HARD to surpass the originals, and succeed; but that gives the game away.
Steven, good thing you didn't buy.
 Incidentally, I had a couple of Moghul-style jade SBs, and used to play with a bunch belonging to friends like Allie McReynolds, Neal & Frances Hunter, Edgar Wise, Bernie & Fran Wald, Edward O'Dell, etc, who would let me fondle their treasures when I visited. It just doesn't look right...
Joey

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 05:38:16 am »

Joey,

I envy you your 'fondle' memories!  Grin

That really is the BEST way to learn how to recognize and appreciate genuine old bottles.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:37:52 am »

I just went through my Jade bottles, all 44 (and the Jadeite snuff dish makes 45), and realised that I bought Patty Miller's Moghul Jade in Sept. 2005, after I finished the 12 months of mourning my mom of blessed memory. I'd not bought any snuff bottles or  outer clothes in the 12 months, as part of the mourning observance. I had enough outer clothes (shirts, sweaters, and trousers) to last me, and socks and underwear don't count; when the 12 months ended, I flew from Ireland, where I'd been the previous 4 weeks, to London.
   I bought myself a whole new wardrobe, mainly at Asprey's; and spent like a drunken sailor at Robert Kleiner's. He had a job lot of John Ault's B & W porcelain SBs, other SBs, and Patty Miller's whole collection. I bought about 40 or more SBs, Jades, B&Ws or IPs, and honestly don't know everything I bought. I bought, but didn't really catalogue. Thankfully, I've got all the receipts, which list everything.
  I checked, and I have one Jade I'd classify as a Ming medicine bottle, which, with a spoon added to the corked stopper, became a Qing snuff bottle.
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »

Joey,

Maybe you should coin a new phrase for this last bottle category (before HM does): a MingQing bottle.  Smiley

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Private Boards

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 05:00:20 am »

As opposed to the QingMing Festival?!  Cheesy
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:57 am »

Hello all,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I need to ask a question.

I do not have the luxury of owning a jade snuff, whether new or old. Now I know jade is very hard, but surely even jade should have some wear marks on it if it is 18th or 19th century.

I understand this particular snuff was not purchased by a member, so any lack of wear on it cannot be seen. However, can any member please post some really good photos of an 18th or 19th jade snuff that they own, so we can see the wear that one should expect from a piece of jade that old.

Thank you in anticipation of your kind assistance.

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:56 am »

Hi Paul..

Feel free to bring up any old archived topics you wish..

Neither do I have a jade bottle.. But, I doubt any would show any wear. I think the best you will find is the natural wear of a pebble type bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
guest551
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 12:55:36 pm »

Hello George,

Thank you for you reply.

Kind regards,

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »

Hello George,

Thank you for you reply.

Kind regards,

Paul

Your welcome  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »

Dear Paul,
in my opinion wear can not be a general rule for this type of bottles. You can either have a very light uniform wear or no wear at all, looking brand new. It all depends on the use or how it has been kept. I think that Joey can confirm this.
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 04:48:26 am »

Hello Giovanni,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your reply, but after two hundred years, if not wear, there must be signs of 'use'. However, you mention 'for this type of bottle', so from this do you mean that the handling of jade over all that time polishes it and that is the sign of use?

Kind regards,

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 07:29:35 am »

Dear Paul,
I meant for jade bottles. I have seen 18th century jade bottles that did look like brand new.
Kind regards
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

guest551
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 07:58:58 am »

Hello Giovanni,

It just goes to show what an amazing stone jade is. Jade is a passion of mine, but to date I have not found a jade snuff. I will though.

This gives me some hope actually, as I have a nicely carved nephrite dog which has an old style appearance but has no wear marks, so I automatically thought it must have been 20th century. Maybe it is older than I thought.

Thank you Giovanni.

Kind regards,

Paul
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: