General information about the Site

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, evaluating, identifying, researching, appraisals, and much more.

Photobucket

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Steven shared this beautiful Ma Shaoxian bottle

Gotheborg's Marks On Chinese Porcelain

Photobucket

Snuff Bottle Collector

The International Chinese Snuff Bottle Society

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
January 23, 2018, 07:56:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Downloads Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Laque Burgauté Snuff Bottles

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Add poll  |  Print  
Author Topic: Laque Burgauté Snuff Bottles  (Read 5516 times)
Joey
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:47 am »

Dear Rube,

If you are ever going to Dallas TX, contact the  Trammell & Margaret Crow Collection of Asian Art, and see if you can be shown their collection of Japanese snuff bottles. It is wonderful. They have about 50 as I recall. Charll and I viewed it together in Palm Beach FL. at the 2011 Palm Beach convention.

Address: 2010 Flora St, Dallas, TX 75201
Director: Amy Lewis Hofland
Phone: +1 214-979-6430

Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver, collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Rube
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »

Joey,

That sounds wonderful, I'll put that on my Southwest radar for sure! If I recall, that's where Charll saw the Satsuma bottle, yes?

Thanks,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Joey
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2017, 05:21:09 pm »

Dear Rube,

I believe that we both saw the Satsuma pottery snuff bottle from the Trammell Crow Collection, when Robert Hall arranged for Trammell Crow Jnr. to display his Japanese snuff bottle collection in Palm Beach FL., in 2011, during the ICSBS convention that year.

I wasn't aware that Charll had seen it in Dallas, though I did in 2002, about 10 years before I met Steven through the Forum. But I was taken there by a friend who was then the president of the International Netsuke Collectors' Society, and who was personally acquainted with Trammell Crow Jnr.  I was able to see all his snuff bottles, both those in the museum and the ones at his home.

Steven has met my 'contact' in Plano.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2017, 12:39:21 am »

Thanks for sharing Rube.

The intricacy of these bottles is mind-boggling. Surprisingly, in all my years of collecting, I have never come across one that was undamaged and affordable.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Collecting since 1972

Joey
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2017, 02:30:34 am »

Dear Tom,

Did you never receive the late Y.F. Yang's little poorly printed catalogues, 1969-1980? He had at least one or two, or even more, in every catalogue, and he issued at least 2 catalogues a year. I have a copy of one in Ireland. I will find a way to copy it to the Forum after the 23rd, when I'm there for a few days. And they were very reasonable - under US$75 each in the 1970s.
I know, because that was my spending limit as a rule before 1978, and I bought 2 or 3 from him.
    After I was 21, I started to spend 'big' sums (like US$300-500!  Roll Eyes Grin).
Best,
Joey

Thanks for sharing Rube.

The intricacy of these bottles is mind-boggling. Surprisingly, in all my years of collecting, I have never come across one that was undamaged and affordable.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:32:06 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:29 am »

Dear Joey,

Although I visited Mr. Yang's shop in 1978 (as well as the snuff bottle exhibition at the Hong Kong City Hall that November), I was not yet on the radar of dealers or collectors. That didn't happen until I joined the ICSBS in 1997.

And I didn't meet any other collectors until I joined George's amazing Forum in 2012 !!!  The last five years have transformed my collecting experience more than words can describe. I was a maverick collector for 40 years....   Grin

Best,
Tom

Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Collecting since 1972

Joey
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:13 am »

Dear Tom,

How odd! We could have met in Hong Kong in Nov.1978! I was there for the Convention in late Oct./early Nov., my first. Then I went to Taipei for a few days, and to Japan for 2 weeks, and back to Hong Kong for a week, last week of Nov. And I was in Thailand last 2 weeks of Dec.1978.

I was the opposite of you, and well connected in the snuff bottle 'herd'.
But the Forum rejuvenated my enthusiasm for snuff bottles, and has brought me new close friends all over the globe.
G-D Has certainly Blessed me through George and the Forum,
Best,
Joey

Dear Joey,

Although I visited Mr. Yang's shop in 1978 (as well as the snuff bottle exhibition at the Hong Kong City Hall that November), I was not yet on the radar of dealers or collectors. That didn't happen until I joined the ICSBS in 1997.

And I didn't meet any other collectors until I joined George's amazing Forum in 2012 !!!  The last five years have transformed my collecting experience more than words can describe. I was a maverick collector for 40 years....   Grin

Best,
Tom

Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 04:20:22 am »

Dear Joey,

Yes, we could unknowingly have passed each other in Hong Kong! In truth, I didn't know there was a convention being held there. I was passing through on my way to Australia, and stopped off for 5 days to see a friend, found Y. F. Yang's shop, and learned about the exhibition.

Best,
Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Tom
Collecting since 1972

Rube
Private Boards

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2017, 06:07:07 am »

Tom,

I, too, have a great deal of respect for the craftspeople who can created these tiny works of art!

Cheers,

Rube.
Report Spam   Logged

Rube, 4th Generation Collector

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Add poll  |  Print  

Jump to: