About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 05:15:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

does anyone read Japanese? ( not a snuff bottle)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: does anyone read Japanese? ( not a snuff bottle)  (Read 1699 times)
Max
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:24:36 pm »

Hiya everyone, I need some help and it has nothing to do with snuff bottles of any kind. I have bought a folder of Japanese woodblock printed on silk, each one is signed differently so I assume they are by several artists.
The folder has the word Ukiyo-e in Japanese on it, there are 5 prints of a mildly erotic nature...quite mild...in full colour and the silk is so fine I can hardly touch it, each picture is also covered by a silk gauze.
If anyone could identify the artists I would be grateful, I didnt put any pictures up as I didnt want to presume but you are all so good on Oriental that I know someone can do it!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

KAZ

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:20:12 am »

Hi Max

I am a Japanese. I may give you a help although I am not an expert for Japanese art at all.
If you wish please let me have a look at the ukiyo-e.

Cheers

Misu
Report Spam   Logged

Max
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:05 am »

Thank you Misu, that is so helpful of you, here are the signatures on each painting, anything would be handy.

Report Spam   Logged
KAZ

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 08:41:39 am »

Hi Max

The 1st one is a ukiyo-e painted by Kunisada Utagawa (歌川國貞 1786 - 1865), 2nd one is Utamaro Kitagawa (喜多川歌麿 1753 - 1806), 3rd and 4th are Harunobu Suzuki (鈴木春信 1725 - 1770) and the last one is Toyohiro Utagawa (歌川豊広 1773 - 1830). I am not well acquainted with ukiyo-e, but I believe all the artists are very popular, especially Utamaro and Harunobu. I hope this would be a help for you.

Misu

Report Spam   Logged

Max
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

Thank you Misu, you have been more than helpful, you have even accomplished half my research for me, I am so pleased and cannot thank you enough.
Brilliant work!
If I can ever help in anything in return then please dont hesitate to ask, I have a varied knowledge in a multitude of things, from reptiles to antiquities!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: