About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 12:41:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Jiu Zhou-Anyone Know This IPB Artist

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jiu Zhou-Anyone Know This IPB Artist  (Read 3139 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:29 pm »

Need some help with the ID of an artist named ‘Jiu Zhou’, I presume a pen name.  Looked in Peter’s database and on Bill’s site with no luck in finding this name. 

When I saw the bottle below on ebay I could not resist.  It is painted by Jiu Zhou in 2007.  The painting is of eight orange carp, 5 carp on one side with the reflection of a structure, trees and moon upon the water.   The other side has 3 carp swimming amongst some artifacts.  The bottle is 3.5 inches in height which I presume includes the stopper.  Do not have it in hand yet, but if the bottle matches the pictures this is going to be a treasured bottle in the collection.  To me this is an amazing composition and is very much in the range of my VMIPB collecting style!!!!!! 

Charll

* Jiu_Zhou_2007_Carp1.jpg (59.86 KB, 450x600 - viewed 34 times.)

* Jiu_Zhou_2007_Carp3.jpg (57.55 KB, 450x600 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:47:19 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:00:37 am »

Charll

Do a search here on the forum for Wang Jiu Zhou.  We have discussed this artist several times. He is a very talented disabled (polio) artist.  Nice bottle indeed! Attached are some pics. George has the larger files, if I recall correctly

* jiu zhou wang.JPG (45.6 KB, 569x383 - viewed 30 times.)

* jiu zhou wang2.JPG (42.94 KB, 546x374 - viewed 22 times.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:08:20 am by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:06 am »

Pat,

Thanks, that was the information I needed.  Didn't think to do search on the Forum.  Charll
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:51:45 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »

Hi Charll  (  & Pat)

When  did I   send  you   my   data  base?

Jiu Zhou  = Wang  Jiu Zhou  is  in there  for  sure, but  I only   started  uploading data  in late  2011  re  this  guy   and for  a  while  I  was  using a  slightly  older  version  of  the    data  base   when making  copies   (which  had  some  huge  but  unecessary  video   files   deleted)  so maybe  your  version   did omit   WJZ  . If so, sorry  Sad

BTW   :  hHow  much  did you  pay for  the   2007 bottle?  It  does  look  great !

Cheers   Peter

PS  :  To ALL   -  I  have sent out  well over a  dozen copies  of  my data  base  in the past   year .  maybe   even  as  many  as  20  copies  ( I  lost  count)   I  stopped  charging  many months   ago   for  Forum members,  (not  even for the  postage   which costs  more than the    USB stick itself if sent   registered )  so every   recipient   got a   free   USB   stick  as   well .  I announced    a  few months  ago I would   issue  an updated  version  of the  DB to anyone  who  took  the  effort to  return the  USB stick  ,  but so  far  not a single  person has ever  done  so.

So  my  rule  is  from now  on  no  DB  updates  until  Forum  members  return the  USB stick   +  enough  cash (US$  notes  OK) to    cover  my  P&P costs .  Sorry .   Sad

Meanwhile  there's      bunch of  new  stuff in the   DB,  including  every  artist  in  Pat's    list , and   all the  research      stuff   I did  based  on a  hand-written  list  of   modern  artists  based  on  a   1980  list  someone  kindly  sent me ( which  took  me  a  few  man-days to  complete )  Plus a  load  of  new  stuff I have   discovered  myself

Wink  

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:18:53 pm by Peter Bentley 彭达理 » Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:35 pm »

Peter,

The Wang Jiu Zhou carp bottle cost $60.00 US.  I thought it was a sweet deal, give the design.  When I actually receive the bottle, I'll take some additional pics and post them.  I'll be interested in your opinion on the quality of this bottle in comparison to what you are seeing with your purchases.  Within my sphere of IPB availability this one seems to be on par in quality to what David Osborne is offering, which is about as good as it gets in this half of the world.   But I have no way to tell if it is a top notch bottle or not.   If it turns out to be as good as the ebay pics, I'll be a very happy camper!

By the way, I am one of those who has yet to return the memory stick.  It will be done in time.  I have the envelope made out and ready to go.  Just have not gotten the envelope and stick in the same place together at one time.  But, I promise it will be done. 

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:20:13 am »

Peter

Ditto to Charll's comments.  I guess we are all guilty of something.  You know, if you have a paypal account, you should just charge us for the original, the updates and the stick(s), mailing etc. , I would be very happy to do so.  I guess many of us are in same boat, ... i would love to give u addl pics etc.. but just lack the time .. living in 3 places and working in many more....

Your efforts are greatly appreciated.. always....  one day we will all re-pay you in addl content, etc... but i know this is not an immediate answer...so for now: sorry!!!

Charll

Just one (small) word of caution.  Jiu Zhou has students... and there may be one caveat here as his bottles are usually in the hundreds of dollars (some a few thousand). BUT I looked at the pics again and the bottle is just very beautiful, so in the end it does not really matter, especially at this incredible price.  One other additional word of encouragement, I know the seller personally and to be a very honest person, Shanghai based. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:14:28 pm by Pat » Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »

I have not checked for a couple days.. computer is still in shop.. do not have the patience for these tiny buttons on the phone !

Charll ..  that bottle stood out for me too.  Not only because of the wonderful painting and artist but the unique bottle shape too.. great bargain ... conhrats !

Peter..  I to am guilty and truly do appreciate your work and the sending of the first db..  I do like the idea of using paypal to pay for new one and mailing costs..

Ok.. done for the day with these tiny buttons !

Have a nice day guys..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:26 pm »

All,

I said I would post some close-up pictures when this bottle arrived, and here they are.  It was interesting to really take a look at the design of this bottle. 

The artist has incorporated a number of images within the painting.  First you see the obvious, the fish within the pond, then there are the reflections (moon, building, and trees) on one side and the artifacts settled on the bottom on the other side, and then background becomes interesting.  The grayed hued background is a landscape with a river channel, trees and grasslands (i.e., the water plants), and misty mountains.  A very absorbing bottle as you gaze at it, images within images.

Enjoy, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:17:47 pm »

You have a great eye Charll..

I keep checking this sellers bottles.. Have seen several modern bottles that I like..

Really nice paintings for sure !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:11 pm »

Hi Charll,

Really nice bottle, the only thing bug me a little bit is the reflection of the building, a little bit too strong for it should be.

I think if the artist can fake out a little , not that sharp, then its a perfect bottle.

Again, that is only my feeling.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:17 pm »

Very nice Charll. Extremely well detailed.  By the way, the bottles with portraits and people by this artist sell for big bucks...
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: