About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 08:21:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Ma Shaoxuan

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ma Shaoxuan  (Read 1611 times)
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« on: March 18, 2011, 07:56:47 pm »

Someone (I think George) posted a bottle pic here signed Ma Shaoxuan with a date of 1947 if my eyes serve me right.  This is eight years AFTER the death of Ma Shaoxuan, and thus would not have been done out of normal respect for a living artist (common practice in China).  I also have a few of those, signed between 1939 and 1947, and frankly the high quality of them astounds me but obviously can not have been done by this 'master'.   

Is there/was there a movement or following like the Ye family (Ye Zhong San and sons) which could have been the makers of these bottles?  I was told he did not have sons that followed in the footsteps but did have 2 painting grandsons.  I don't have the book/bio on his life, so hence the question.  Some of the bottles I have seen are really well done....

Thanks!

Pat
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

Hmmm.. I am not finding anything in my only two reference books..

Bill will probably beat me to the answer, but I will email a friend that can answer this.

Seems like all the Google searches only point to the purchase of 85.00 to 100.00 books about him...

I'll be back...  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:07:59 am »

Here is what was sent to me..

About Ma Shaoxuan, which means Ma Shaoxuan family, like Yeh's family, Ma Shaoxuan family include: Ma Shaoxuan, Ma Shaoxuan's elder brother and the son of Ma Shaoxuan's elder brother. All of them sign "Ma Shaoxuan". We can identify who's Ma Shaoxuan bottle from the signiature. There still have many Ma Shaoxuan's family member live in the world, but now most of them don't know how to paint a inside paint bottle.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 05:54:15 am »

Thanks George... I do have a few bottles of the older brother and the nephew.  The painting brother is called Ma Guangyu.  The real name of Ma Shaoxuan is Ma Guangjia (Ma Kuang Jia).  The nephew is Ma Shaoxian.  I guess some family members or pupils must have continued after his death signing his name.  None in my collection are dated after 1947.  But it seems that inside bottle painting was virtually 'dead' commercially between 1949 and 1970, even 1947 would have been limit with the Civil war going on.  I have yet to find one myself that is dated in the 1949-1970 timeframe.   Bill has some from the Cultural Revolution area, of which I am envious.  Also NEVER found one myself....
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

snuffbottlecollector

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:17:39 am »

Bill has several older Cultural Revolution themed bottles with an unknown, mysterious history. Only one is absolutely CR ... a real gem of a bottle about an inch high and definitely a prize of my collection.

http://www.snuffbottlecollector.com/fang_qing/prince_1.htm

Bill
Report Spam   Logged
Pat - 查尚杰

Zha Shang Jie 查尚杰

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 07:23:30 am »

yup.... i love that one ;-)

Bill has some prize 'finds' .... lol   really, I love your site.  Not a week goes by without several visits.  Please keep up the good work, and I hope to contribute with pics when I find the time.   
Report Spam   Logged

Best Regards

Pat
查尚杰
Zha Shang Jie

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »

That is a beautiful bottle Bill.

Report Spam   Logged