About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 03:33:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Rough past few weeks..

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rough past few weeks..  (Read 1520 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »

After sending a 1000.00 ZLY bottle to China, it has become missing in the mail system..

In all the years I have been buying and selling online, have never lost one yet.. Of course it is the most expensive one that is still missing..

There is still hope it will show up, and I trust the buyer 100%..

As of now I had to replace that bottle with bottles that have the total same value..

Post office says it actually can take six weeks.. It has been four..

Crossing my fingers...

Will never ever send anything out of Country non insured again..

Also had a package go to Germany with a 160.00 bottle .. The package arrived less the bottle !

Had to refund that one as well..

Crummy past few weeks..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:59:04 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:04 pm »

Hi George,

So sorry for hearing that, you really should buy insurance for that if its anything valued above $100.00, and it might take longer because any antiques valued  above $300.00 the buyer should pay import tax before customs release the item.

So It might take longer than normal.

Don't worry, I think it should be fine.

Steven
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:32:50 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 04:42:34 am »

George,
   I hate to state the obvious, but it is OBLIGATORY to get insurance when shipping anything of value. You have to assume the worst, not the best. You add the insurance cost to the buyer's shipping cost. If they object, then you get them to accept that it is not your responsibility if it goes missing. I hope it will still work out...
  While we are talking shipping, I have a wedding gift for your daughter; should I send it to you George, or directly? It is a pair of Waterford 'Happiness' Champagne flutes from their Millennium set (there were 5 designs; I think the first was 'Happiness'; I bought a bunch of the 'Happiness' and the 'Health' ones, since I preferred these two visually, and figured they were the most meaningful). If you will need to shlepp the box on a plane, it is better if I send directly; if it is in your immediate area, or you are driving there, it is probably easier to send to you. Either way, it will be insured ;-).
  I'm amazed at how you people drive humongous distances without a second thought - I'm going to be returning with Charll and Donna to their home in northern California from Portland by car - EIGHT hours!  Eight hours from Jerusalem northwards would have me through Lebanon, through Syria, and into southern Turkey! Never mind that I wouldn't get to Turkey alive...
Shabbat Shalom,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:44:12 am »

I know....

My girlfriend is telling me all the time about how overly trusting I am.. These mailings are just a couple of examples.

Gosh Joey.. Very kind of you to send a wedding gift !

Here ya go..

George Ingraham
PO Box 358
Newport Wash

I will take care of getting them to the wedding  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

My pleasure, George. Mazal Tov!
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 01:46:36 pm »

Hi  George

Yes there  is sometimes   an  import   duty to  pay  for   antiques  like  ZLY bottles  sent to  China, so maybe that's the  reason  for the  delay .

And  the   only safe   way to  ship  is  courier  (  Fedex,  UPS ,  DHL  etc.  Never  normal  post)

That's  why  a   collector  / dealer  friend    I have  in China   arranges for all  antique bottles to  be  sent  to me  in HK by courier , then I  hand- carry  into  China.  Once  inside   China  the  internal  postal system  is  very  fast and  safe

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »

Thank you, Peter. That's good to know.
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: