About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:54:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

We have been a quiet bunch last few days !

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: We have been a quiet bunch last few days !  (Read 1516 times)
George
Administrator

Test

« on: April 30, 2012, 11:31:15 am »

Nothing special to report here, but just wanted to say hello !

Hope everyone had a nice weekend ..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:35 pm »

All,

In Los Angeles looking at snuff bottles.  Not as many sources to purchase bottles as I would have thought.  Spent most of yesterday at Ji Hing & Company in Chinatown looking at bottles.  Bob Lee, the owner and member of the ICSBS, has over 1500 bottles.  I think I only looked at less than a third of them, and going back today.  

Did purchase a blue and white landscape porcelain bottle with what I think is an unusual mark. The bottle has a Xuande mark (Ming Emperor Xuan Zong, 1426-1435) in two horizontal lines on the base.  The bottle is of a much later period of course, with the mark only being a tribute to the earlier period.  Now I just need to find out why that was done.  Will post pics the bottle when I get the chance.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:13 pm »

Wow, 1500 bottles:) I guess it will take a while to look all of his bottles:)

- Charll,

I have seen a couple of Xuan de mark bottles, but they are all moderns , I guess the painter just picked whatever the mark he/she want to paint:)

But I do believe that there is Xuan de mark bottles made in Kangxi period or Qianlong period, Ming Xuande is a peak period for chinese porcelain, lots of copies from the later period, style wise and mark.
Looking forward to seeing your bottle:)

I went to a local auction house last Friday,  trying to hunt some bottles, but no lucky, either bad quality ones or out of my budget, it turned out that I bought a Tongzhi period vase which was badly cracked, but beautiful painting. I keep remind me don't buy anything so bad shape, but sometimes you just can resist it:)

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:18:59 pm »

found a modern Yangzhou style snuff bottle, very pretty!  I guess even its modern, its very worth the price:)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Serious-Collector-Premium-quality-Fisherman-overlay-glass-snuff-bottle?item=200751798134&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8090561565704388370#ht_500wt_1156
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:38:55 am »

Charll,
     The Chenghua reign (1465-1487) in the Ming dynasty was considered the period of the finest porcelain in China's history. Thus, putting a Chenghua mark on a Qing blue & white piece was sort of a homage to that.
     The Jiajing reign (1522-1566) in the Ming dynasty (as opposed to  Jiaqing, a Qing dynasty emperor, 1796-1820), was famous for the deep purply-blue tones of its cobalt blue. Bottles with a Jiajing mark, and the same deep purply-blue tones, tend to be an homage to that.
 The Xuande reign in the Ming dynasty was considered a high point in bronze production during the Qing dynasty. And so one finds many 18th & 19th C. bronzes with the Xuande marks, in homage to that. I don't know why a blue and white would be sporting a Xuande mark...
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:07 pm »

Joey,

Thanks for the comments and insight.  I was just presenting what Bob Lee inferred about the mark.  Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:39 pm »

Charll,
   I appreciate that, but I honestly don't understand why a Xuande mark would be found on a blue & white porcelain bottle, because, as far as I remember, Xuande's was not a reign noted for its blue & white porcelains. I could be wrong, however.
I'll try to find info one way or another.
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: