About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 01:26:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Vase Turned Into a Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vase Turned Into a Snuff Bottle  (Read 1201 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: April 21, 2012, 11:57:53 pm »

Although these are not traditional snuff bottles, small vases on occasion have been turned into snuff bottles.  I have seen this done with Chinese famille enamel porcelain vases, as is the case here, and Japanese Satsuma vases.

Famille Jaune Vase with Tiger-Eye Stopper-

Famille jaune is a variation using famille verte enamels on a yellow ground.  The snuff bottle has a yellow base with cabbage leave neck.  Two main body panels are of landscape scenes.   The interior is completely coated in a fine milk white glaze. 

The height without the stopper is 8.5 cm, or just 3.35 inches. The base is 2.3 cm or 7/8th of an inch in diameter. Purchased in Portland, Oregon, in 1983. 

Unfortunately the pics do not present the colors in their true form and the brilliants’ of the bottle is lost somewhat.

Marked Ch'ien Lung Period (1736-1795) in very fine blue raised enamel, but likely, much, much later.

Though most collectors would not be interested in such a piece, I still love it for what it is and the conversion.

All comments and any speculation on possible age is welcome.  Enjoy, Charll
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:58:40 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:19:46 am »

I actually search ebay using key words like miniature vase, and small vase all the time.

Have seen a few that look similar in shape and size to yours..

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:34:49 pm »

A pity the brilliance of the colours doesn't come through in the photo, Charll.
I'd suggest a date of 1900-1940, because it reminds me of bottles made during the period of the last 10± years of the Qing dynasty, and the first 30± years of the Republic of China.
   The design is after Imperial porcelains with the big leaves painted around the neck, and the apocryphal Qianlong nianzhi
(Qianlong period made) mark in raised blue enamel, so it could even be 1920-1940, since the Forbidden City opened as a museum in 1920, and artisans could visit and then go home and copy designs they'd seen.
 Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 01:16:35 am »

To continue on with another example of a vase turned into a snuff bottle.  This bottle is not mine, but I was bidding on it at the time.  Just did not bid high enough!!!!

Japanese Satsuma is my second love to snuff bottle collecting.  At one time I was going to collect and add to my parent's Satsuma collection which I will inherit someday.  Unlike snuff bottles, collecting these larger pieces takes up more space and requires a larger display area.  The bottle below would have fulfilled both my passions for snuff bottles and Satsuma.

Satsuma snuff bottles are a bit rare, but they can be found on occasion. 

San Rafael Auction Gallery, October 26th 2014 Antique Estates Auction, Lot # 0927:

Satsuma porcelain snuff bottle with coral stopper.  Hand painted on all four sides with two sides of Japanese groups of four people on opposite sides and rural scenes depicting rivers and mountain on other two sides.  Magnificent detail and very fine work.  Was a family heirloom for close to 100 years.  Height including stopper is 3¼ inches. 

Enjoy, Charll

* Satsuma1a.jpg (93.02 KB, 480x800 - viewed 36 times.)

* Satsuma1b.jpg (77.69 KB, 376x800 - viewed 33 times.)

* Satsuma1c.jpg (87.83 KB, 439x800 - viewed 30 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 01:33:36 am »

It is a beautiful piece Charll...  !   Thank you for sharing it and the wonderful description..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 06:15:07 am »

Dear Charll,

From my late mom, I inherited a couple of  very fine small Satsuma vessels (a 2 inch tall, tripod footed incense burner with a landscape, and a 4 inch tall vase, sort of meiping shape, with many squares each illustrating a different person.).

I love the fine pieces. Louis Lawrence, Clare Chu's ex-husband, deals or dealt in Satsuma, as well as other Japanese arts.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

cshapiro

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:40 am »

Thanks Charll for sharing some porcelain! Your Famille Jaune vase/bottle is lovely!
Report Spam   Logged

Cathy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: