About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 04:28:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Need Some Help With Chinese Script

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Some Help With Chinese Script  (Read 463 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: April 15, 2012, 11:39:55 pm »

Carved Ivory and Horn Snuff Bottle

This snuff bottle is actually made in separate sections, an ivory base and top, and the main body section is either horn or stained ivory.  The three sections are fitted so well that you cannot see any obvious seams where the pieces are joined.  Engravings at the joints help give the illusion that the bottle is a single piece of material, but the disconnection in the grain pattern between the sections tells the tale of it being three distinct pieces.  Constructing the bottle in this manner allows ease in hollowing of the main body section which is nicely hollowed.  It has a long fitted and matching horn or stained ivory spoon. Total height is 9.2 cm.

The front of the bottle has a carved figure of a boy riding a carp.  The back has eight Chinese characters inscribed into the main body of the bottle. A bamboo sprig is etched into the top above the Chinese script.

The bottle was purchased in 1980 making it one of the first acquisitions in my collecting craze, and as such will always remain one of my favorites.

Now, can someone help with the Chinese script?  I am hoping to catalog this bottle with an appropriate translation.  Thanks, Charll

Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 11:58:58 pm »

You have some of the most beautiful and unique bottles Charll..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:05 am »

George,

My bottles only look good because I showing them! Grin   I’m just posting some of my collection as I go though the research and cataloging process.  Of which the Forum is helping immensely.  My modest collection would pale in comparison to the serious collections out there.  I do have a gem or two, but nothing like Joey’s collection and I figure many of my IPBs would look pretty second rate stacked up against many of Peter’s bottles.  I must admit my collecting style is pretty eclectic.  I can't afford what I like, so I just try to buy quality that I can afford.

Though I appreciate the comment, Charll  
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:11:24 am »

Hi Charll,

I had hard time with this one, the scene is a chinese traditional scene which called"  auspicious happiness in  superabundance" I can't read the inscript well since its written in complex script and xing style.

I can guess it could be auspicious happiness in  superabundance in chinese" ji qing you yu" " 吉慶有餘" made by Yu naishen(餘耐生) but not exactly, I wonder if the artist made a little mistake on the inscription.

I think that Walter can do help better on it:)

Steven

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »

Steven is that caoshu and xingkaishu ?
  Charll, It's a nice bottle; the script is very well executed for being carved.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:41 pm »

I think its Xingkaishu or xingshu, which is between the Kaishu and Caoshu.

Normally the Caoshu is most difficult to be read...

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: