About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:52:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Who is Zhong Yuan 仲 元 ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is Zhong Yuan 仲 元 ?  (Read 706 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

Hi All

Now  here's another  puzzle......

In 3.2009  I     went to  Hengshui  for the   1st time  in 3.2009  and  visited   Wang Guan Yu's  home

One  of the bottles  he sold  me  was  a  landscape painted  by    "Zhong Yuan  仲 元 "  but the  only   such  artist  I can  trace   who had that  pen-name    is    [ Wei Jianmin   魏 剑 民  = Zhong Yuan 仲元  @ NEW LOOK]
and who    is    very  early Modern  era

Although the  artistry   of the  "Zhong  Yuan"  bottle  I bought  from   Wang Guanyu  is    old-ish , I cannot  really place  it  to the    very   early  modern  era   when  Wei Jian Min  was painting, and the price   I paid   WGY  was    only  RMB1,300    in  3.2009

Any  suggestions?

Cheers   Peter

PS :  My   early  ventures  into  MIPB  collecting   has  left me  with a    handful   of  bottles   with  "wierd"   heritage , just like  this one.   If  I had been   wiser  at the  time  I would  have  asked a  lot  more  questions , but  at the  time  I was  just gobbling  up every "good'   Chinese  landscape    bottle  in sight ,   not to mention a  bunch of  IPBs  that I would  never  now  buy  based purely  on my   strictly  preferred    Chinese  landscape collecting theme  (   =  some   very good  pedigree   bird  theme  bottles   coming  up for   sale    soon  by private  sale  to  Forum members on right  of  first  refusal  before  I offer more  widely) .   As  I now   re-catalogue  all  my  bottles  I am looking  into  the  provenance  of  every  one, and  thank G_D  ( to  quote  Joey)   that  the  vast  majority  of  my collection   were  bought  direct  from   the   artists  so I can  personally  with  my  hand on my heart   attest to the  provenance of  every one ("Scouts' Honour")  if  ever  I  offer  any of them for  sale.  Which  all  comes  back to the   golden   word  "PROVENANCE "

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:36:28 am »

Hi Peter,

The info I found:"魏剑泉——笔名仲元,1962年生于河北省获鹿县。1979年师从王习三大师和刘和平学习古月轩绘制技术,1984年开始学习内画。"

Zhong Yuan's real name is 魏剑泉( Wei jianQuan) was born in 1962 in hebei, started to learn old moon pavilion painting from Wang xisan and Liu heping in 1979, and started to learn inside paint from 1984. which should match the your oldish style Grin

Steven

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 03:51:53 pm by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:09:33 pm »

Dear Peter,
  In a perfect world, there would be no forgery of art works, and everyone would be wonderfully talented etc.
In the real world, my friend, you are correct - provenance is extremely important. And it sounds like you have the best, directly from the artists! Very well done.
Happy Easter/Happy Passover/ Joyous Festivus ( for the rest o'yus)
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:58:45 pm »

Hi All

Last night  Jill Guo Jie and    her husband  Li Hui    came to my home in HK for  hotpot

I raised the    question  of  "  Who is  Zhong Yuan?"

There  are  3  contenders :

1.  Wei Jianmin  魏 剑 民  as    quoted  by  J. H. Leung

2.  Wei Jianmin 魏 建  民  , quoted  as a   IV  generation   student  of  WXS  ( my DB  in error   writes  III  gen. and
     I have now corrected  this .  IV  gen =   1979 - 1988  but  apparently  he "did not complete  his training")

3.  Wei Jianquan  魏 剑 泉  as  quoted  by Steven below

References   1  and  3   quote a birth date   1962.

Li Hui  thinks that  J. H. Leung  ( or whoever  compiled the  WXS  Generation  Table which you  can find  my  DB)   made a  mistake  when  he  wrote   "Jian"  as  剑  /   建  , and that  these  are all the  same person   in  fact

Anyway,  hopefully I can   find out from Wang Guanyu  next weekend  when I visit   Hengshui

This   all goes  to  show that   one must be  VERY careful     regarding the  correct  Chinese  character   because the same  pinyin  can be  written   many different  ways  in Chinese  characters.  It  also goes   to show  that   even   experts   sometimes  get  spellings   wrong

Cheers   Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:14:22 am »

Hi Peter,

Have you figured out who is Zhongyuan?

I have a bottle, signed Wei Jianmin 魏 建  民 one side , and zhong yuan the other side, dated 1985.

I believe reference 1 ,2 and 3 are all correct info, hope you can correct me if I am wrong.

Steven

* IMG_0491.jpg (118.82 KB, 600x820 - viewed 34 times.)

* IMG_0493.jpg (113.55 KB, 600x776 - viewed 36 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:33:15 am »

Steven,
   That is a very appealing subject, for those who collect Human Figure subject SBs.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 10:51:12 am »

Hi Steven

After  checking  back  in my  DB  I  recall  I  concluded  that  Wei Jianmin  and  Zhong Yuan  are the   same  person.

But  Wei  Jianmin  has  been  variously  spelt in Chinese  as 魏 民   and   魏 民  (and  also   Wei  Jianquan  魏 俭 泉)

All  very  complicated

But that's the  kind  of  puzzle  my  DB  can  maybe help to solve, because   every  input  from every  source  goes  into  it....

Cheesy

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: