About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 07:32:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

an insane website

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: an insane website  (Read 1315 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« on: April 06, 2012, 11:01:39 am »

I bumped in to a insane website today, found lots of genuine bottles painted by Great masters, but list only less than $100.00, I pretty sure those are not the fake ones based on the photos, but they just found some images online and post there to trick the customers.

http://www.getsnuffbottle.com/antique-snuff-bottles-c-1.html?page=3&sort=20a

BEWARE!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 11:16:27 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 02:14:45 pm »

I have had a glimps of that website..

Problem is that when ever I try to open it, it shows the page for about a split second and then changess to one of those error pages that reads, "internet explorer can not open"

Tried everything could think of to try and access it, but not able too..

If you are actually able to view the site, could you post a link here for any one of the bottles listed.. Maybe I can get into the site by being able to access a bottle, or some other link within the site..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:01:21 pm »

Anyway, If you can't get into the site, that was good:)

At least you won't be tricked by them Wink

Here is a screen shot of the website, a famous WXS bottle listed there as $79.00, I pretty sure they got the pic from the internet, and that bottle will never be sold, since it was collected by The Palace Museum in Beijing.

* sample.jpg (335.2 KB, 769x669 - viewed 37 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »

We are constantly reminded of how extra carefull we need to be when considering a bottle purchase.. Even more so seeing a site like this.

There are no indications on this one bottle that I can see of there being any photo trickery.. Although it seems like it would have to be a photo.

Pretty scary stuff... !

Seems like if they went to all the trouble to fake a bottle like this, they would at least be smart enough to price it in the range of what a real bottle might go for.

These guys must not be to bright to think that such rediculous pricing would not raise a red flag to any collector..

Thanks for sharing the link Steven !

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Steven

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

I am gonna buy 10 bottles there, ofcoz I am gonna using wrong info, and I will see how they gonna trick me, and who they are. Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »

HI All

I  could  open the  site   immediately from the  original link.   The  little    2   kitten pic ( #37)   looked   familiar  and sure enough  I found  it  : painted  by WXS and  shown in  Wang Ziyong's  book  ( WZY is the  son of  WXS) See attached

Note that a lot of the  pics   are  of  big  pictures- sized  inside painted   2- sided   glass  screens  .  Although  these  are a lot of  work, they  are very  cheap  because there's     very little  IP skill involved - typically  US$100  whole-sale

My guess  is that the    "antique" bottles are just the    "tempters"   which  - just by chance - were sold  already, so take your  pick of the  other   cheap ones....

Cheers  Peter

* WSX 005 a (W).jpg (214.55 KB, 1569x2257 - viewed 28 times.)
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »

HI again

I  take back my previous   comment.  That   "WXS"   2  x  kitten IPB  is a very clever  copy of the  original  ( and  it's an easy  enough bottle to  copy).    Although the   website    thumbnails  are low- res and the  website  does  not allow  hi- res  pics  which  can be  downloaded,  I can see enough fine  detail to   prove that the  pic  on the website  is  not  "borrowed"  from Wang ZiYong's book  ( for - one  - there's a  white  hair  fleck  on the pic of the  original)

Therefore it must be a   clever  copy.

CAVEAT   EMPTOR

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: