About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 29, 2024, 04:48:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Natural Gourd Snuff Bottles

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Natural Gourd Snuff Bottles  (Read 533 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: March 25, 2012, 08:23:49 pm »

The gourd has been used by many cultures as a container by virtue of the hard and impermeable skin of the fruit once dried.  In China the fruit was especially prized when it grew in a double-gourd form, which symbolizes fertility (Kleiner, Chinese Snuff Bottles, 1994).  Gourds were often employed as receptacles for medicines and herbs, and became a traditional symbol of medicine and healing.  In its natural form, gourd bottle snuff bottles would have been appealed too and been used by doctors, druggist, and the literati classes.

Bottles with age and use will have surface areas of a high polished patina which forms with much handing, and the bottle here is such an example.

Natural Gourd Snuff Bottle- 19th Century
Small round gourd, natural form with knobbles and protrusions occurring over the surface of body.  Satin lacquer finish with high points of knobbles naturally polished from extensive handling over time.
Inset ivory collar.  Ivory spoon and collar with coral branch as stopper handle.

This is a small bottle just 3.5 cm (1.4 inches) in height from the base to the top of the inset collar and 4 cm (1.6 inches) wide.

Enjoy, Charll
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:07:28 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 08:45:15 pm »

This is not the one you brought with you is it ?

I like these very much, and like you shared while visiting, also a liking for the molded ones..
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:19 pm »

George, Yes this is the bottle you saw.  I'm just getting around on brushing up some of my bottle descriptions, and the forum is the beneficiary of my cataloging work.  I plan to add a mold gourd post also, once I get around to my 5 or 6 molded gourd snuff bottles (these are all contemporary bottles, however).

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »

Hi Charll,

You really have good taste, I love almost every single bottle you shared, ofcoz the nature gourd bottle. a beauty!
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 12:21:46 pm »

Another natural gourd bottle of elongated form.

Natural Gourd Snuff Bottle:
An organic pod shape gourd of elongated form with a fine matted natural patina with an overall unctuous feel.   Applied silver collar neck support that is neatly seated that is incised to create a calyx.  Red coral sprig as a stopper, cork plug, with a bamboo spoon.  Bottle neck diameter neck is 7 mm with only a 4 mm mouth opening.  Length is 8.5 cm and weight is 7 g, without stopper. 

Period: ca. purported to be 18th – 19th century, but like 20th century.

Condition: Excellent condition with only minor wear and natural patina.

Provenance:  From the collection of Dr. Erika Pohl-Stroeher (1919-2016), thence by descent in the same family.  Dr. Erika Pohl-Stroeher was a German-born Swiss resident and heiress to the hair care and cosmetics company Wella AG.  She was a passionate collector and had amassed in her lifetime various important art collections, as well as one of the world's most valuable collections of gems and minerals.

Similar Reference:  For an unadorned gourd snuff bottle in the Palace collection, see Snuff Bottles in the National Palace Museum, with an introduction by Chang Lin-sheng, Taipei, 1991, p. 270, no. 413.  Compare a related natural gourd snuff bottle, dated 1760-1860, at Christie's New York in Important Chinese Snuff Bottles from the J & J Collection on 30 March 2005, lot 43, sold for USD 9,600.  Compare also a related natural gourd snuff bottle, dated 1770-1880, at Christie's New York in The Meriem Collection Important Chinese Snuff Bottles on 18 September 2007, lot 606, sold for USD 8,125.

Follow-up Info:  Gourds have been used since the earliest of times in many cultures as natural containers.  Grown in a wide variety of shapes and sizes the dried rind of the fruit becomes a very light, impervious container, which if the mouth is kept narrow can be easily stoppered to make airtight.

As always comments and edits to the bottle description are appreciated, Charll

* 0_122749751_2_x.jpg (81.67 KB, 800x800 - viewed 10 times.)

* 0_122749751_3_x.jpg (69.17 KB, 799x800 - viewed 5 times.)

* 0_122749751_7_x.jpg (61.91 KB, 800x800 - viewed 7 times.)

* 0_122749751_6_x.jpg (63.66 KB, 800x800 - viewed 6 times.)

* 0_122749751_8_x.jpg (78.07 KB, 800x800 - viewed 8 times.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:28:27 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 01:32:23 pm »

Dear Charll,
are my age-related brain problems or you have shown recently the secong gourd in another thread? BTW, I am envious!
Giovanni
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 01:47:17 pm »

Dear Charll,

I much prefer this one to the first one you posted,
with all those [to me] unsightly growths.
Best,
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 04:09:44 pm »

Giovanni,

No your mind and memory is okay.  I shared the elongate gourd with the discussion group last month.  I just finished the description write-up and now posting the bottle to the Forum.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Fiveroosters aka clayandbrush
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 04:49:35 pm »

I am relieved Grin Grin Thank you!
Report Spam   Logged

Wattana
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 01:28:18 am »

Charll,

Yes, I remember this one from our last meeting. Must be especially nice to handle.
Thanks for sharing the write-up.

Tom
Report Spam   Logged

Collecting since 1971

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: