About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 07:10:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

‘Old Moon Pavilion’ Marked Stoneware & Molded Porcelain Snuff Bottle

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Old Moon Pavilion’ Marked Stoneware & Molded Porcelain Snuff Bottle  (Read 13820 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: April 07, 2017, 11:25:35 am »

All,

Since I started this thread, let’s see if I can add some additional clarity.  Though Luke has just said much of what I was going to say, and he is correct.  These are “stoneware” bottles not to be confused with porcelain ware, nor the elegant 18th century enamel glassware that is represented as ‘Gu Yue Xuan’ or Ancient Moon Pavilion wares.  Note that I say wares, and I’m not referring to the Gu Yue Xuan mark.   These stoneware bottles were acquire by many collectors in the late 19th century and into the 20th century.  Anecdotally a number of these bottles seem to have appeared and were picked up by collectors in the first half to the 20th century.   As such, a number of these stoneware bottles can be found in museum collections via subsequent donation by these early snuff bottle collectors.  Thus, the background for my statement below.

These bottles are considered somewhat prolific in that many early snuff bottle collections had one.

It is my observation that these stoneware bottles are 19th century and likely saw manufacture into the Republican Period of the early 20th century.

Instead of being an 18th century bottle, it's really more like 19th?  This example was supposedly one of the older bottles in my great grandmother's collection.  Some of the bottles in her collection came via her sister, who had a dear friend that was one of the chief importers for Gumps. At the time, he indicated that this rare bottle was over 200 years old. The fact that Moss says many of the early collections had them is interesting to note, because it probably means that these collectors thought their bottles were much older than they actually were.

It was Gumps!!!!!  They had more than just the 'one' rare bottle.  Yes, these bottles were over represented at the time, both in origin and age. 

These bottles have nothing to do with the location of the Ancient Moon Pavilion or the highly treasured 18th century Gu Yue Xuan enameled glass wares presumably form that location.  These stoneware bottles (as well as some beautifully made and highly valued enamels on glass snuff bottles made by artists in the 20th century) and many cheap bottles presently found on Ebay have just borrowed the mark or moniker.     

I use to collect teddy bears and still have an extensive collection.  The use of the 'Ancient Moon Pavilion' mark on these stoneware bottles is analogous to placing the an original (old) Steiff Bear ear button on a Beanie-Baby.  The Beanie-Babies came much later.   These stoneware bottles I would liken to be the Beanie-Babies in the snuff bottle world.  There are folk art, and as such are highly collectible to some people.  I have one in my collection and will likely keep it, and just maybe I'll eventually add other bottle or too to make a study group in the collection.

Charll     
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 11:31:40 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: