About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 06:38:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Any information about this bottle?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any information about this bottle?  (Read 606 times)
noynoy
« on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:44 am »

Hi Everyone:

I am new to this forum and to snuff bottles.  I've been unable to find pictures of anything like this bottle on-line and I wonder if any of you have insight as to its age, if the painted image represents something specific, region, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Noynoy
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 11:12:06 am »

Dear Noynoy,
   Is it a 'stealth' inside painted snuff bottle?! I couldn't see it. ;-)
Shabbat Shalom, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

noynoy
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:06 am »

Okay! that image did not work!  Let me try again:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:15:06 pm by Bottle Guy » Report Spam   Logged
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 12:01:36 pm »

Hi Noynoy,

I am not familiar with the silver, but the I do think the bottle was made around 70s-80s.

I will let the experts here to make more comments.

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

I think Steven has it right ....

This one appears to be silver.. Some are nickel or even tin..

I did a little editing for your last post..

Just so you know NoyNoy, here is what the code should look like within your post when using your FlickR

Code:

[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7139/7011152613_4db3e8784a.jpg[/img]

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
noynoy
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

I did think that it was very peculiar to use such intricate brushwork on the interior and then cover it over with a heavy metal armature.

Are these common?  As I mentioned I've scoured google images and ebay and have not found any like it.

Report Spam   Logged
noynoy
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

AND  silver polish not having any brightening effect on it makes me think it IS nickle.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »

Is there any visible damage to the encased glass bottle?
   I once received a cracked glass snuff bottle with a Ma Shaoxuan portrait of the actor Tan Xinpei  as a gift. I brought it to my mom's jeweler, and he made a silver band around the neck and another around the footrim, and connected them with thin silver strips down the sides. I later gave it as a gift to good friends, and later still, acquired a superb replacement in the form of an example in quartz from the collection of another close friend.
   This looks like they tried to bind it as I did mine 27 years ago, but then thought to 'gild the lily' and went a bit overboard.
I agree with Steven that the painting, what is visible, looks 1970s/1980s.
 Joey
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:22:27 pm by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:30 pm »

This appears to be a quite common, what is often labeled as 'Tibetan Silver', contemporary (post 1950, but most likely made within the last 10 years) snuff bottle.  The inside painting of the bottle may also not be painted at all, but a photo process which is explained elsewhere of the forum.  These bottle often show up on ebay by sellers in China, and sell for $30 or less.  Would need more photos to confirm opinion.  Hope this helps and does not diminish form your purchase. 

Charll   
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

noynoy
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:37 am »

Thanks Charlie:  It is great to get the informed opinions that you and the other members have provided. 

I would have loved to have found a treasure, but for $8 on the street, it is hard to diminish the purchase!

Even as modern reproductions, I enjoy them.  And they have introduced me to the world of snuff bottles.
Report Spam   Logged
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:12:55 pm »

Noynoy,
   For $8 you can't go wrong. A group of snuff bottles looks great on a mantel or in a display case, or on a bookshelf. Just be careful if you have cats; they like to swat small things off shelves.
   My late friend Alice R. McReynolds had a couple of cats, and they did a number on quite a few of her snuff bottles. I'll NEVER forget the time I was having high tea at Allie's and an Imperial Palace Workshops 18th C. Moghul-style octagonal white nephrite jade snuff bottle went whooshing past us on her hardwood floors, closely followed by her two Persian cats! Thank G-D, no damage (it sold in 1984 at Sotheby Parke Bernet in LA, for over US$12,000, if I remember correctly).
  Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: