About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 02:11:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Wang Guo Xin-Magpie in Plum Tree (Quartz Crystal Bottle)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wang Guo Xin-Magpie in Plum Tree (Quartz Crystal Bottle)  (Read 651 times)
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:28 pm »

Need some help on the transcription of the Chinese script? 

The artist is Wang Guo Xin  of the Ji School (Xisan Academy), painted in 2006.  It is a small quartz crystal bottle that is 6.7 cm in height by 2.7 cm wide.  Pictured is done primarily black ink palate with a magpie in a plum tree on the front and bamboo among a rock/waterfall on the back side.   Purchased from ‘Jill’ Guo Jie at the ICSBS convention in Toronto, Canada, in October 2007.

I am currently cataloging this bottle and need a translation of the script for the file.  I’ll appreciate any help and all comments are welcome.

Thank, Charll
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:47:10 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »

Hi Charll,

The inscription on birds side can be read"To greet spring, painted in the winter of 2006 by Jing shi(晶石)."
on the revised side, it can read" the picture of bamboo and stone, painted in the winter of 2006 by yun shi(云石)"

I am not sure if Jing shi and Yun shi are all the art name of Guo Xin Wang.. but its kind of strange to sign different name on same bottle..

Steven
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:16:01 pm »

Thank you Steven that is what I needed!!!!!!!!!! 

I wonder if the different artist name usage is correlated to the difficulty and/or quality of the painting.  The magpie side took much more time and effort, and is a much better work in my opinion.

Charll 
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:26 pm »

The paintings are nice, but what a nice example of a quartz crystal ..

I am far from an expert with Modern bottles.. So not sure if this is any help.  I inquired to Dylan Shu about one of his recently painted bottles having his signature on ones side, and that of another artist on the other..

The signature on the reverse side was a pen name for that second artist.

Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:33:43 am »

George you very well could be right and the bottle was done by two artists.  I was lead to believe that it was a single artist at the time of purchase.  It looks like I'll have to dig into this a little more.  Thanks Steven for the quick replay, and now the challenge; is it one artist or two!  That's what makes this fun.  Thanks all, Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:21 am »

I will vote for one artist, since the calligraphy looks very very similar on both sides, I will do some research tomorrow, will let you know what I can find on Jing shi and yin shi.
Report Spam   Logged

Steven

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:45:37 am »

Hi Charll,

when you checked Peter's Datebase, you can find the "jing shi" and "yun shi" are both Wang GuoXin's art name, and style is perfectly matched with your bottle, he really like black ink, only a little other colors, blue or red to decorate the people...

I still don't know on which circumstances  the artist used the which art name on the bottle, but I don't think which depends on the difficulty  or quality, I would think it based on the scenes of the bottle, for example, when he paint the landscape, he will use "jing shi" when he paint the birds , he will use "yun shi", but that is my guess, it could be totally wrong....

Steven 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:48:31 am by Steven » Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:34:49 am »

Steven,

The follow up on the pen names is appreciated.  Your line of reasoning on the use of different pen names for differing subject matter makes sense to me; similiar to what was done with the Peach River Studio bottles.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »

Beautiful Bottle, Charll!
Steven, That is interesting. I didn't know that an artist might use different 'art names' for different subjects.
Joey
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:43:30 am by Joey » Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:04 pm »

The  Artist's name   should  be  written  Wang Guo Xin  ( Wang is  his family name, which  in Chinese is  always   written   first)

And  yes - if  you  check  my DB    his  pen names  are Jing Shi and  Yun Shi

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:45 am »

Thanks Peter for the proper name order.  I just copied it off the bottle receipt and was thinking about last name first, first name last.  Appreciated the clarification.  Charll
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:25:35 am by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: