About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 18, 2024, 04:41:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Can you help out the new guy please?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you help out the new guy please?  (Read 1004 times)
bogtrotten
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »

Hi
Thanks for taking the time to look, at times I see snuff botles being passed so so when I found this place I figured I could start learning, I am ok with glass and pottery so this seems like a good move. I picked these bottles up a local thrift shop the one to left might be glass but I think the other two are stone any help would great.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 09:08:46 pm »

Joe,

The far right bottle is agate (a form of crystalline quartz called chalcedony).  The stone pattern is a variation between a rainbow and macaroni agate.

The middle bottle is also stone, again likely agate but could also be a low quality jade or serpentine; would likely need to see this one first hand to verify the stone material.

The left bottle is glass, in what appears to be a white ‘snow flake’ base with a red overlay that was grinded out to reveal the design.

Without better resolution and pics of the top and base of the bottles, this is the best determination I make at present.  Bottles appear to be contemporary, meaning 1950 to present.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:32:21 pm »

The far right one is Ocean Jasper, and the middle one looks more like a moss type agate..

It's hard to tell sometimes.. On the first overaly, that snowflake or bubble infused base glass can sometimes be older glass.. So hard to tell, because this type of glass is reproduced so much..

Not that it is an absolute for determining age, but does that one happen to have the work China etched on the bottom ?
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:46 am »

Charll,
   To me all look like old (ie, 19th C.) bottles, but I've not looked carefully at the stuff coming out recently. The shapes look right; the colour of the red overlay and the camphor glass under look right; the carving on the overlay looks right. The stone bottles seem to be a Moss Agate in the middle, and an Agate/Quartz mix on the right (I know 'Macaroni Agate''; what's a 'Rainbow Agate' ?) .
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:59 am »

Charll,
   To me all look like old (ie, 19th C.) bottles,

I agree with ya Joey.. They look old to me too..

The one on the right is Ocean Jasper for sure though..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:35 am »

George, What is 'Ocean Jasper'? The white bits look like quartz; the coloured bits like agate (cryptocrystalline quartz). Is Jasper also a cryptocrystalline quartz?
 Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:35 am »

All Jaspers have some quartz/silica within them. Some more than others..   The more the quartz/silica content, the more beautiful a polish that can be accomplished.

In this case, yes.., the white area is pretty much pure quartz.

This particular ocean, is one of the many orbed types of Jasper. 

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:33:10 am »

George,
    Thank you, this was an education in minerology. Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:12 am »

I should have included that it is called Ocean Jasper because it can only be mined off the ocean coast of Madigascar..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 02:36:02 pm »

George, If it is available off the coast of Madagascar, is it possibly also available in The Seychelles and in Mauritius, which are off the Indian Ocean coast of Madagascar, as well? How did they find it in the ocean?
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »

I do not know if it is also available there.. I will try to find out.

They originally found it, and also today are only able to mine it during low tide..
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
bogtrotten
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:07 pm »

Thanks for all the help and quick response learned a bunch, they do seeem to have some age based on what I know about glass and pottery no markings posting a picture of the bottoms thanks again!!
Report Spam   Logged
George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:54 pm »

Ok...

I think the Ocean Jasper is newer.

The overlay.., I just can not say for sure, but old or not, it is a pretty overlay.

I am second guessing myself on the one previously ( middle one here ) labeled as Moss. Am using a magnifying glass and think I see very some small orbs. Some how need different pics.

With your macro setting on, maybe try using a flash, or place it right beneath a bright light, and or maybe both.. Beneath a bright light and also use a flash.  Need a better look.
Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 07:36:56 am »

George,
   Do you know since when Ocean Jasper has been mined? If the earliest is like Zoisite with ruby inclusions, examples of which were first sent to China by Chinese working on the TanZam (Tanzania/Zambia) railway, in the early-mid 1960s (one of the PRC's first overseas aid projects), then we know the bottle cannot be earlier than when the stone was mined.
   For example, there are many American Agate bottles from ca. 1850-1870 (or whenever it was built), when Chinese working on the Transcontinental Railroad sent pebbles and chunks back to China, and they were made into snuff bottles.
  Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:31:43 am »

George,
   Do you know since when Ocean Jasper has been mined?

Fairly new to market Joey.

In the 1950's, a buyer was shown a few pieces by a prospector, but the prospector couldn't remember where he'd got the material.

In the 1977 edition of Grund's Mineral Encyclopedia, there was a photograph of the jasper, but its source was still unknown until 1998.

Report Spam   Logged

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:10 am »

So basically, we know when the Ocean Jasper dates from. I've got t-shirts that are older. ;-)
Obviously, the shape was copied from an old bottle. Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: