About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
March 28, 2024, 12:55:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Correct characters for Ye Zhong San and his 3 sons

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct characters for Ye Zhong San and his 3 sons  (Read 1341 times)
Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« on: March 11, 2012, 05:08:39 am »

I recently   got  the  correct characters  for the  Ye  family, especially the  "Beng"  character  which is  very  obscure and not in most  normal dictionaries  ( also  not  in MSN  pin-yin character input )

See   attachment

Hope this  is useful

Cheers  Peter

« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:03:18 pm by George » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:47:58 am »

Good stuff Peter !

I edited your post so that it included a pic of your document. That way we don't have to open that document up each time..

Thanks for sharing this !
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:32:50 am »

Peter, It is great and thank you, but it should read in Pinyin, Ye Zhongsan next to the Chinese characters. You've accidentally written 'Shan', not 'San'. Incidentally, we tend to put the two names which form the personal name (not the surname), together: Ye Zhongsan, or Ye Bengqi, or Wang Xisan. I don't know why, it is just sort of accepted as the way to write it, from what I've learned.
  Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:20:11 pm »

Hi Joey

Oh  sorry  ...    Ye  Zhong  SAN  not   SHAN     Embarrassed

Very careless  of me

Yes  you are correct that    the  given name  is  written  as  one  word  i.e   Ye  Zhongsan  ( not   Zhong San)

If you  notice:   in my  database  ( and  in   nearly  all correspondence)  I always  do this  i.e   join the   two  given names  into one  word

But  sometimes  this  convention confuses  non- Chinese  readers, especially if they don't  know    pinyin  spelling rules (  the classic  case  is    Xi'an   vs  xian  although  that's   the  name of a    city not a  person )  sp I made an exception in this  case

Cheers

Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:16:04 am »

Peter, You are right. I'm sorry. I forget sometimes that many people haven't learned pinyin. When I went to study Chinese at Hebrew U. in Jerusalem, 1979-1982, we were taught Pinyin Romanization first, before we were taught Chinese characters. For someone who's not learned pinyin, your way is more understandable. Thank you.
Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: