About This Forum

This snuff bottle community forum is dedicated to the novice, more experienced, and expert collectors. Topics are intended to cover all aspects and types of bottle collecting. To include trials, tribulations, identifying, researching, and much more.

Among other things, donations help keep the forum free from Google type advertisements, and also make it possible to purchases additional photo hosting MB space.

Forum Bottle in the Spotlight

Charll shared this beautiful Xianfeng (1851-1861) dated bottle depicting NeZha combating the Dragon King amongst a rolling sea of blue and eight mythical sea creatures.

Chinese Snuff Bottle Discussion Forum 中國鼻煙壺討論論壇
April 19, 2024, 05:16:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home Help Search Contact Login Register  

Yen Yu t'ien

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yen Yu t'ien  (Read 1309 times)
Steven
Global Moderator / Forum Detective

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

I am with Walter and Tom,

Old bottle, but not old painted, should be later than 70s. Tom can  be right on the fantasy date and artist, at least I can't find the any info about "tian yuan".

No matter what its well worth $120.00, I like the reversed side even more...
Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver / Si Zhouyi 義周司
Private Boards

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:43 am »

Dear George,
   In answer to your original question, Yes, Yan Yutian (pinyin spelling; the other is Wade-Giles) did sign occasionally just Yutian.
   I think the bottle is extremely well painted, by someone whose study of  late 19th/early 20th C. IPs & artists is not as good as his/her ability at painting! It can't be 1887 or 1947, since Yan Yutian's dates are 1888 to 1918. And as a number of others have pointed out, it is totally different in style, and much more detailed in painting, than Yan Yutian's genuine works.
   So, I humbly suggest you ignore the obviously fake signature, and the possibly fake date, and enjoy the beauty of the painting, because it is a beautifully painted bottle.
 Shabbat Shalom and Rosh Chodesh Tov (A Good New Month - it is the first of the Lunar month Adar, a very propitious day),
 Joey 

Report Spam   Logged

Joey Silver (Si Zhouyi 義周司), collecting snuff bottles since Feb.1970

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 01:31:16 am »

Dear George,
Yes, Yan Yutian (pinyin spelling; the other is Wade-Giles) did sign occasionally just Yutian.

Thank you and welcome back Joey !

I am at a total loss .. Wade-Giles ??
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
Private Boards

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:23 am »

Dear George,
   Mr. Wade and Mr. Giles, if memory serves me right, were two Englishmen who, in the late 19th century, were self-proclaimed "Old China Hands" (ie., 'Experts' on China, the Chinese, and the Chinese language). They invented the form of romanisation  (ie., transliterating Chinese into 'Roman' or more correctly, Latin, letters). But they didn't have a good ear, and they seemingly transliterated Cantonese into English letters, not realising that there was a different pronunciation in Guangzhou (as pinyin transliterates the Wade-Giles Canton) from that in Beijing (or Peking as W-G does it).
   I learned the W-G names of the emperors, IP artists, and places originally, but was switched over to pinyin by my first teacher of Chinese, Shikman taitai (Mrs. Shikman) at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, in 1979. She was the daughter of a  Russian Jew who'd fled Russia during the Bolshevik revolution (her father, Mr. Feldman had married a Chinese lady in Beijing), and  the wife of another Russian Jew, Mr. Shikman, whose parents had escaped the Bolsheviks in the 1920s to China. She got out at the start of the Cultural Revolution, and arrived in Israel in 1967, and taught Chinese. She was a wonderful teacher.
Best, Shabbat Shalom, etc., Joey
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:00 am »

Hi  All

There  are  free  software   conversion   programs   from  Wade-Giles  to  Pin Yin    OR   tables  of  conversion  spellings  ( I think I have  one  somewhere in my  files)

Just  check   Google

Likewise, there  are free  programs  to co-relate   traditional and    simplified  characters (I have  one  installed  as  short-cuts  on my  desk top)

Cheers  Peter
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 05:11:17 pm »

The bottle that started this post arrived and it turned out to be better than the original pictures indicated.  Only speculating, but the bottle appears to take after, or is copying, some Chinese landscape scroll painting.  The bottle is small, less than 2.5 inches (just 6 cm) in height (w/o the stopper) and 1.25 inches in width (3.3 cm). 

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:34:50 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Charll K Stoneman, Eureka, California USA, Collector Since 1979.

Private Boards

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 05:15:43 pm »

Beautiful painting, Charll! Congratulations! Modern bottle, ask Steven if he can translate for you. Date is ding hai (2007).
Best, Joey
Report Spam   Logged

George
Administrator

Test

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »

Way to go, and congrats Charll !!
Report Spam   Logged

"Experience Each Experience To The Fullest To Obtain The Most Growth"

Snuff Bottle Journal
rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »

Back to the date?  Steven first thought it was 1995, Tom 2007, and the dealer whom it was purchased from says he got it as part of a collection in the early 1990's.  So could it be a 1947 painted bottle?  Or, shall we just assume the dealer is not recalling his facts straight.  This is another one of those bottles where consensus seems difficult.

Will assume it is 2007 until someone says otherwise. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:43:48 pm by rpfstoneman » Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »

Hi  Guys

Late   entry to this   chain   cos I  don't  normally follow  the  Middle/ antique  period  stuff  on the  Forum

But  I must  say that  THAT bottle, although nicely painted,   reeks   of   modern  COPY
( =  FAKE Yan  yu Tian  )

Sorry  and   no  offence  intended

Cheers   Peter
Report Spam   Logged

rpfstoneman
Private Boards

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »

Peter and all,

This bottle was purchased under the assumption it was 1970's or later.  Thus trying to resolve issues with artist ID and date.  Artist is assumed to read Tian Yuan, with a date of 1995 or 2007.  Just trying to get clarification.

Charll
Report Spam   Logged

Peter Bentley 彭达理
Private Boards

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »

Hi Charll

Glad  that you  took  my  email  in the  spirit  it was   intended

I have  ZERO  expertise  in the   Earl/ Middle  school 

But  I  do think I can  spot  a  Modern   School  IPB  when I see one

Cheers  Peter

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: